New SSD but SSD firmware issue ?

Pokpoko

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hello, I bought a new SSD for PS4 : the samsung 870 EVO 500gb (tell me please if it's a bad one). But I have seen on internet that some SSD had some issues and need a firmware update (i think you have to update it with the samsung software called "Magician"). So I have several questions please : Should I update the SSD ? Is this SSD really reliable for the PS4 (since some issues have been found) ? Will the update still be there after the ps4 formatting and initialization with the recory file ?

Thanks for your help

Reactions: Donnie-Burger

Donnie-Burger

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Hello, I bought a new SSD for PS4 : the samsung 870 EVO 500gb (tell me please if it's a bad one). But I have seen on internet that some SSD had some issues and need a firmware update (i think you have to update it with the samsung software called "Magician"). So I have several questions please : Should I update the SSD ? Is this SSD really reliable for the PS4 (since some issues have been found) ? Will the update still be there after the ps4 formatting and initialization with the recory file ?

Thanks for your help
Should work either way - I did a 4tb evo in a clients ps4 with no update and man its fast.

Pokpoko

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
So if I update, then put the SSD in the PS4, after the PS4 formatted it, will the update remain ?

Pokpoko

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Firmware update is different than formatting, samsung does recommend updating the firmware of drives.
Okay thanks, I tought it was like a windows update (since when you format the HDD, the update is erased). I hope it won't have any issues when it will be in the PS4.

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay thanks, I tought it was like a windows update (since when you format the HDD, the update is erased)

No it is firmware not affecting partitioning. Update it so you don't get stuck with read only mode.
Post automatically merged:

https://www.pcworld.com/article/1499822/update-your-samsung-900-series-ssd-firmware-right-now.html

I don't know if the 870 is affected by the read only issues, seem to be like 990 not 870, but if you are scared then update the firmware.

Last edited by Hayato213,
Reactions: Pokpoko

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: It's Mayday fellas