iSEXu
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I recently purchased a new slim, to be exact its been almost a week from now

I havn't been doing much gaming on it, other than MW2 from time to time and everything is fine and well

Yet recently i have noticed a sound coming from the PS3 every time i play any kind of disc i.e. game, blu-ray, DVD etc

Its sort of like a "teh-theh...teh" coming friom it right at the beginning when the disc loads for the first time, and for example when other certain aspects in the game load like the MW2 menu etc

i suppsoe this is from the disc spinning.... its really hard to explain i suppose, but the games, and everything themselves work fine no problem. This sound may have been there from before, BUT maybe i only hear it till now.

so the question here is that does anyone's PS3 slim make a noticeable sound (blu-ray drive wise not fan or heat cracks etc) whilst playing a game etc ?

Just like to clear this up since im sort of worried about it.

dnniwa485

Trophies
XP
Country
thats the sign that your lens is moving along on the disc surface to read the data.

nothings bad on it. all consoles have the same experience like yours.

wyndcrosser

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do your discs show wear? As in the lens is hurting the discs?

Do you have the system, vertical or horizontal? I have an old Emotion Engine Ps3, that if it sits on it's side, it makes noises.

Wynd

Maz7006

iSEXu
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
dnniwa485 said:
thats the sign that your lens is moving along on the disc surface to read the data.

Sounds reasonable , i must have not heard it from before since i had the sound on high, only till last night i was a bit conservative and lowered it ; thanks for the reassurance

wyndcrosser said:

Do you have the system, vertical or horizontal? I have an old Emotion Engine Ps3, that if it sits on it's side, it makes noises.

Wynd

Discs are fine, my only complaint is that foam stuff before you put it in sometimes put some smudges on them when going it, also when you eject a disc it doesn't sometimes seem to take it out enough for you to grasp it properly

No horizontal and since the noises last night i tried vertical and still same, yeah i think its the lens moving along the disc after all

QUOTE(phoenixgoddess27 @ May 28 2010, 08:04 AM)
Mine doesn't make that sound, but try giving it a break now and then, don't leave it on for an excessive amount of time.

i loose my interest in gaming after 2 hours or so, and its probably been on well 6 hours and 42 minutes (the time ive played MW2 so far)

I must add one thing however, lets say (and im not saying it has happened) but the power cuts on the thing, will this affect the PS3 and thus the lens for the long run over time ? .. since in Lebanon we experience frequent power cuts, thank you for all the help so far

dnniwa485

Trophies
XP
Country
^ as time goes by, the foam will tear off. And yeah, i experince that too, the foam stuff in my disc. But anyway nothing bad on it.

I can even hear that sound while my PS3 is reading the disc (because my room is too quite.. im on country side.. lol)

@wyndcrosser

that wont be normal though, and also, the console will not function properly as opposed to the @ts said. And also the clue that he gave "teh-theh...teh" wont match with "crasshhhhh". Im sure the @ts is not dum enough for that to ask it here. Because the problem is really obvious though.

Maz7006

iSEXu
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
yeah its gotta be just that lense.... i believe it happens to games like this i.e. that those that read a alot from disc as apposed to others such as GTA IV that install like some of it to the HDD, ill give it a try with other games later on, yet last thing, if there was something wrong it would have not read at all right ? i mean the game is working fine, no lags no stutters, no crashes, no scartaches or anything... thanks for all your help.

also feeel free to add me on PSN, ID in sig
smile.gif

Phoenix Goddess

The Ninja's Protégée
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maz7006 said:
dnniwa485 said:

Sounds reasonable , i must have not heard it from before since i had the sound on high, only till last night i was a bit conservative and lowered it ; thanks for the reassurance

wyndcrosser said:

Wynd

Discs are fine, my only complaint is that foam stuff before you put it in sometimes put some smudges on them when going it, also when you eject a disc it doesn't sometimes seem to take it out enough for you to grasp it properly

No horizontal and since the noises last night i tried vertical and still same, yeah i think its the lens moving along the disc after all

QUOTE(phoenixgoddess27 @ May 28 2010, 08:04 AM)
Mine doesn't make that sound, but try giving it a break now and then, don't leave it on for an excessive amount of time.

i loose my interest in gaming after 2 hours or so, and its probably been on well 6 hours and 42 minutes (the time ive played MW2 so far)

I must add one thing however, lets say (and im not saying it has happened) but the power cuts on the thing, will this affect the PS3 and thus the lens for the long run over time ? .. since in Lebanon we experience frequent power cuts, thank you for all the help so far

What foam stuff? I put nothing onto my discs due to how easily games get ruined.

Have you sent a message to sony? Called them?

http://boardsus.playstation.com/t5/PlaySta...ue/m-p/31706233

Will this help you?

Big games make my PS3 a bit noisy but it never lasts.

Maz7006

iSEXu
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I appreciate your help but you have seem to misunderstood me, its not the sound of the fans, it appears to be the sound of the lens moving over the disc after all, any i appreciate your concern, just wanted to know whether this was normal in the first place. thanks for all the help

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @Psionic Roshambo, I thought dbz abridged ended at the cell saga