Country
Belgium
the-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim-20110330052304153.jpg

the-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim-20110330052307231.jpg

the-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim-20110330052311168.jpg

the-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim-20110330052320824.jpg

the-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim-20110330052317887.jpg

the-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim-20110330052314715.jpg

- After Oblivion, the Empire as it's known goes into a steep decline, and that's one of the main things that brings about some of Skyrim's conflict. But we want each game to stand on its own, so time-wise, we're a good 200 years after Oblivion.

- Development started after finishing Fallout 3.

- It has about the same amount of geography and content as Oblivion. I say "about" because the scale always changes some, and things like mountains change how that geography feels, and the time it takes you to get to and from places. It has a different flow when exploring.

- If you've been to a location before you can fast travel back. We also have a carriage system that can take you to some major locations that you haven't been yet, so it's a bit of a mix. (No word on horses/dragons used for riding)

- Still some kind of auto-levelling system of enemies in it

- When you defeat a dragon, you absorb its soul. There are a few different types of dragons, with different powers, and they use the same shout powers the player uses.

- Fighting pace is slowed down a bit, more interesting choices. Dual wielding is possible.
Shields can be used to bash which staggers them. There are also finishing moves.
You can cast a spell and use a weapon at the same time, using the mouse clicks.

- The main change in dialogue is that it's all done "real time". The game world does not stop, the view doesn't zoom in, it's just another type of interaction you can do with the world. We wanted to remove the feeling that you were entering a different "mode." Even in its presentation, it's simply a list of things that appear from the screen cursor you can ask about.

- You can again forge your own magic, items and tweak their properties.

- Skill increase works like Oblivion, the more you use it, the more it goes up. The skill list is similar, but tweaked for the gameplay we have now. The big difference is in how you gain levels. All your skills affect leveling. The higher the skill, the more it pushes you to the next level. So it's a nice self-balancing system, you're rewarded for using your higher skills. It urges you to focus. Skill increases become the equivalent of our XP for leveling. The higher your level, the more you need. When you level up, you pick one of your main stats to increase, and then you pick a perk. Perks are where a lot of the power is, and it's what defines your character, more so than your skill numbers. So each skill has its own "perk tree". And, those perks range from doing extra damage with a certain weapon to all new things like special moves, disarming and critical strikes.

- You learn to shout at dragons by using certain words that then form magical attacks. You learn those words throughout the game by finding the words on ancient wall carvings or being taught them.

- More armour sets and weapon types than in Oblivion.

- Again both first and third person view.

- No multiplayer at all. (
hrth.gif
)

- The release date is still very solid according to the developers. The PC version will support DX11, but will not really take advantage of the big new features of DX11.

- No unicorns and no levitation in Skyrim.

Full interview

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Great, can't wait. Honestly, my Xbox 360/PS3 library has been looking pretty desolate, and because I loved Morrowind and Oblivion, I know I'll love Skyrim, especially because they're fixing some of my major gripes with Oblivion (such as how boring the dialouge could be). I'll be looking forward to 11/11/11.

notmeanymore

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
After Oblivion, the Empire as it's known goes into a steep decline, and that's one of the main things that brings about some of Skyrim's conflict. But we want each game to stand on its own, so time-wise, we're a good 200 years after Oblivion

Oh good. I tried to go back and play Oblivion, and I just couldn't do it. It was a little too...unpolished for my tastes. When the game came out, I'm sure it was a great game, but today, it's rough.

SubliminalSegue

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:

Thanks! I'm now taking my pre-order off this fucking game. Thanks Bethesda, you ruined my day. Fuck you and the horse you rode in here on. And no levitation? I'm done. No, I'm done.

Edgedancer

Director of Moon based operations
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Despite my dislike of Oblivion, this one seems to be coming along quite nicely. It will be interesting to see if I cave in and get it on release.

Satangel

BEAST
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
SubliminalSegue said:
QUOTE said:

Thanks! I'm now taking my pre-order off this fucking game. Thanks Bethesda, you ruined my day. Fuck you and the horse you rode in here on. And no levitation? I'm done. No, I'm done.

This is the full excerpt of the interview:
IGN: Is the auto-leveling system from Oblivion that leveled enemies alongside your character returning in Skyrim? If not, will there be a modified version, and what informed the changes in the design?

Todd Howard: We've always had some amount of that in our games, from Arena to Fallout 3. You do need some in a game like this, it's just a matter of how and when you do it. It's clear Oblivion had places it didn't work well. That's something I think we addressed well in Fallout 3, so Skyrim works similarly to Fallout 3. We want peaks and valleys, where sometimes you're really challenged, and other times you feel really powerful. The trick is telling a player in a wide open game, without locking stuff off, that "this area is too hard for you, come back later."
So did you like Fallout 3 it's auto-levelling system? The producer is exactly right, such a big open world, available from the first minute you play, has to have an auto-levelling system else it blocks the player their freedom.

Law

rip ninjacat that zarcon made me
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
As long as there are no obviously dirt poor highwaymen asking me for 10 gold running around in glass armor I probably won't mind the level scaling.

SubliminalSegue

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Satangel said:
SubliminalSegue said:
QUOTE said:

This is the full excerpt of the interview:
IGN: Is the auto-leveling system from Oblivion that leveled enemies alongside your character returning in Skyrim? If not, will there be a modified version, and what informed the changes in the design?

Todd Howard: We've always had some amount of that in our games, from Arena to Fallout 3. You do need some in a game like this, it's just a matter of how and when you do it. It's clear Oblivion had places it didn't work well. That's something I think we addressed well in Fallout 3, so Skyrim works similarly to Fallout 3. We want peaks and valleys, where sometimes you're really challenged, and other times you feel really powerful. The trick is telling a player in a wide open game, without locking stuff off, that "this area is too hard for you, come back later."
So did you like Fallout 3 it's auto-levelling system? The producer is exactly right, such a big open world, available from the first minute you play, has to have an auto-levelling system else it blocks the player their freedom.

The fuck you talking about? He contradicted himself. I don't buy it.

Satangel

BEAST
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I just hope Skyrim has some more underwater action and stuff than Oblivion had. I want a lot of treasure chests under water and maybe some sunken (is that correct English?) ships with maybe a ghost in them who then has a quest for you. Oblivion had so much water but so little was done with it.

T-hug

Always like this.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
GBAtemp.net
XP
I spent over 300 hours on Oblivion for X360 and got 1250/1250 so am really looking forward to Skyrim!
Will be getting the Limited Edition if there is one (sure there will be!)

The game looks amazing.

This year so far I will be getting Skyrim, Portal 2, The Last Guardian, and Ico and Shadow of the Colossus collection.
Think that's about it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: But I am playing with it. :D:rofl2::tpi::evil: