Gaming New screen

Satangel

BEAST
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I'm now all ready for a new screen, asked my parents and they agree with me.
I have a budget of +- 300 euros, and at the moment I'm looking at a 24" screen, the Samsung T240.
That's 309 euros, so that's all good. I still have some questions though.

My specs are Q6600, 8800GTS 512 (my brother says this card is made for big ass screens, and that it will run most games at 1920*1200) and 4GB RAM.

First question, isn't 24" slightly too big for an FPS? (I'm mainly gonna play FPS' with this)
I just checked and my favourite game of all time CoD 2, doesn't even support 1920*1200....
Which resolution should I pick then? And won't the game look uglier then?

2nd question, does anyone on here have this screen?

3rd question, does this screen have sound? Like boxes or so? I remember I read it somewhere, but I'm not sure...

Thanks a lot!

Trolly

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Well, I have a 22" screen, and FPS' look beautiful if anything. Unfortunately Crysis will look ugly if you can't select the high resolution (for example, my monitor is 1680*1050, if I set Crysis to that it's really choppy, but lower resolutions end up being slightly stretched or cut off).
And it's possible CoD 2 won't look great because of the same reason, you'll probably end up with a little bit of cut off or something. There may be programs to get round that kind of thing however.

Anyway, I haven't regretted my LCD purchase, it looks fantastic after living on CRT screens for so long, so I'd go for it. I recommend getting an external sound system though, built-in speakers often suck (and external speakers are fairly cheap).

Satangel

BEAST
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
After further research I too have come to the conclusion that a 22" screen is just enough for me, especially if I'm only gonna play FPS'
That's why I'm currently looking at this screen,

Samsung 2233BW

Anyone got any opinions?

xcalibur

Gbatemp's Chocolate Bear
Trophies
XP
Country
Satangel said:
After further research I too have come to the conclusion that a 22" screen is just enough for me, especially if I'm only gonna play FPS'
That's why I'm currently looking at this screen,

Samsung 2233BW

Anyone got any opinions?

I can't say this with 100% certainty but it seems that the 2233BW is an inferior screen. The 2232BW is a much better screen and is in fact a rehash of the best 22" screen ever made, the 226BW.

Trolly

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Well, if it helps, I have an SM225MW, as that was good value for it's large feature list when I found it on dabs.com. The price has gone up considerably since then I think though, and it's fairly difficult to find.

EDIT: Here - http://www.laptop-seller.com/category-29/sm225MW.html (BTW, it lies, it isn't 1080p as max. resolution is 1680x1050)
It's good value, but a bit of a random site :\.

Just as a note, the only real differences between the 2233BW and the SM225MW is that SM225MW is a lower contrast ratio, but has built-in speakers and HDMI, Component and Ext. slots. So if you're thinking of using a screen for consoles, blu-rays and external machines as well as a PC, it may be worthwhile thinking about the SM225MW.
Otherwise, I'd bite the bullet on the 2233BW, it's a high quality, good value monitor.

seedvt

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
All TN panels are roughly the same.

They're good enough for gaming, but if you want more accurate color reproduction, get a IPS or VA panel.

Back on topic - OP, 512MB isn't enough for 1920x1200 for most games these days. But since you decided on getting a 22", this shouldn't be a problem.

As for your choice for monitor - I'm fairly certain that all of Samsung's current 22" are the same monitor underneath, just different inputs and frames. I can say that the T220 is a decent monitor, my friend got one a few months ago and it's not bad for it's price.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: ballcock