machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Guild McCommunist said:
MEGAMANTROTSKY said:
I hope by "PS2 software" they won't make it only compatible with digitally purchased PS2 software. I might have heard incorrectly, but I thought the PS3's PS1 compatibility nowadays was purchase-based.

I'm pretty sure all PS3s still have PS1 compatibility via discs. You can of course purchase them as well on the PSN Store.
Wow, I've had a PS3 for 3 years and had no idea O_O

WiiUBricker

News Police
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Guild McCommunist said:
MEGAMANTROTSKY said:
I hope by "PS2 software" they won't make it only compatible with digitally purchased PS2 software. I might have heard incorrectly, but I thought the PS3's PS1 compatibility nowadays was purchase-based.

I'm pretty sure all PS3s still have PS1 compatibility via discs. You can of course purchase them as well on the PSN Store.
Not every PS1 game is playable. There is a compatibiliy list on the playstation blog and other websites.

Assax

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
So, am I the only one who is really pissed by this?

It better be software emulated and not for the new console only.
I'm not trying to be a d**k here but honestly what is this?
I don't even know how to start and put everything into words.

First they remove it for new models, then they remove otheros and piss people off who bought the console for 600$, then they start bringing out HD collections of PS2 games which I wouldn't even consider getting if I had the original PS2 ones working on my PS3, then they get attacked by hackers etc etc (we all know the story)
and now suddenly they want to bring back PS2 support out of nowhere and expect people to pay AGAIN? Good thing I haven't purchased any HD collection game so far.

Also before anyone replies with "who cares about backward support just get a cheap PS2", I do own a PS2 but its seriously annoying to always switch my Videoinput cables, which I have to do because I still have many consoles plugged in. Other than that it's just a waste of space in my room.
I mean who really wants to dust off his PS2 just to play it for some weeks and then put it back again before it starts collecting dust.

On my side, I'm not getting the new Ps3 and I'm really getting annoyed with Sony even though they might have good spirit behind it or whatever, I don't think that I can actually be the only one who is mad at this as many have bought the PS3 knowing, or at least be pretty sure about that it won't have Ps2 support anymore.

Just my 50 cents.

cosmiccow

Original Hippie
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Assax: Exactly, you expressed some of my thoughts.

Personally I would still buy one if it is cheap. I bought my PS3 very late and I knew it didn't have PS2 and OtherOS anymore, so that's fine.. But for everyone else, especially early adaptors - that had the wonderful experience of Sony stealing something they bought - your points are very true!

Assax

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
cosmiccow said:
Assax: Exactly, you expressed some of my thoughts.

Personally I would still buy one if it is cheap. I bought my PS3 very late and I knew it didn't have PS2 and OtherOS anymore, so that's fine.. But for everyone else, especially early adaptors - that had the wonderful experience of Sony stealing something they bought - your points are very true!

I'm a late adaptor too, I bought it after BC was removed but before OtherOs was stripped, it didn't matter much to me, what I care more about is just that if it is really coming and will be hardware emulated then I wouldn't buy the one I own now if I had the choice between non BC and BC for the same price, maybe even cheaper.

MEGAMANTROTSKY

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Assax said:
I agree with you. Regardless of what result has been, the ensuing path has been one of vacillation and dirty tricks.

@Johnny_Drama: I don't think that's an honest argument. True, Sony is not forcing him at gunpoint to buy a new model, but how does it really endorse Sony when a consumer is subjected to the following processes?

1.) They bring out a costly product with impressive features.
2.) They eliminate some of the impressive features in the hardware to save costs.
3.) Despite customer outrage, Sony gives no indication if the features will ever be incorporated into future models. It is heavily implied that the change is permanent, due to lack of straight answers from the parent company.
3.) They eliminate the last of the impressive features (OtherOS).
4.) Insert legal events concerning Hotz, Chokolo, et. all, here.
5.) They suddenly bring out a new model that incorporates some of the cut features, presumed to be gone forever, due to Sony's unwillingness to talk about it in-depth.
6.) Elation, suspicion and...Profit!

Your rejoinder does not really allow us to critically ascertain this recent development, all the while keeping Sony's marketing history with the PS3 in mind. Sony is not god, and it does not move in mysterious ways.

Edit: Not compatible, then? Back to the drawing board....

Johnny_Drama

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Iran
Assax said:

Nobody forces you to buy a new model. You rather have Sony not releasing a new model with BC? And not release any BC at all for the hardcore fans who've been dying for years asking for it and the new consumers.

Assax

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Johnny_Drama said:
Assax said:

Nobody forces you to buy a new model. You rather have Sony not releasing a new model with BC? And not release any BC at all for the hardcore fans who've been dying for years asking for it and the new consumers.

No, I'd rather not have Sony release a model for the same price with a feature that was stripped of the original Ps3 models in the first place.
Not trying to be selfish but Sony should at least have the decency to add it for everyone, I wouldn't call people who are new to the PS3 hardcore fans, but rather those who bought the early models to begin with.

Johnny_Drama

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Iran
Apparently it has NO BACKWARD COMPATIBILITY. Mistranslated.

QUOTE said:
?This product does not have compatibility with the software for exclusive use of "the PlayStation2".

Nothing to see here, move along.

boktor666

Gbatemp's official Solar Boy™ Is Back!
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
It's of no use now anymore. I really like the idea of BC, but it's a bit on the late side... You know, they should have gave this feature to the players since the start, but it wasn't possible then. I think many Sony fans will really like this, but I'm not buying a new PS3 just for this, got a working ps2 slim.

Johnny_Drama

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Iran
Assax said:
Johnny_Drama said:
Assax said:

No, I'd rather not have Sony release a model for the same price with a feature that was stripped of the original Ps3 models in the first place.

Could you please tell me the price? I'm dying to know. Oh wait, we're you also pissed when Sony released a 299 system with the same features as the 399 system?

Assax

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Johnny_Drama said:
Assax said:
Johnny_Drama said:
Assax said:

Could you please tell me the price? I'm dying to know. Oh wait, we're you also pissed when Sony released a 299 system with the same features as the 399 system?

You are comparing a general price reduction for the same system with the same functions to a new model with the same price as the model without the "new features", that stands in no relation to each other.

Johnny_Drama

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Iran
Assax said:
You are comparing a general price reduction for the same system with the same functions to a new model with the same price as the model without the "new features", that stands in no relation to each other.

Yes it does, it's called Market Price.

Read on it, here's an interesting quote from wikipedia, where in ingredients are obviously the features and the dish the model.

"price of dish depends on market price of ingredients, and price is available upon request".

Ron457x2

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
-10 minutes later-
*checks post*
-laughs-
All this HYPE because of a mistranslation.
As I have said like 3 times in this post,
sony should put this into consideration and make the PS2 feature a software upgrade.

ON-TOPIC: New PS3 with tighter security and fixed exploits
Drives,etc. Is basically what this thread is now.

MEGAMANTROTSKY

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ron457x2 said:
sony should put this into consideration and make the PS2 feature a software upgrade.
Except they obviously aren't, and given the look of this new SKU, they probably never will.

@Johnny_Drama: I find your comparison of the PS3 to a notice of what appears on a restaurant menu, to be poor.

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ron457x2 said:
-10 minutes later-
*checks post*
-laughs-
All this HYPE because of a mistranslation.
As I have said like 3 times in this post,

ON-TOPIC: New PS3 with tighter security and fixed exploits
Drives,etc. Is basically what this thread is now.
Actually there's no proof. Until
Densetsu gets here there is nothing to confirm.

MaxNuker

GBATemp's Official Shinigami Substitute
Trophies
Website
facebook.com
XP
Country
Portugal
So it will have Backwards compability with ps2/ps1 or not? my PS3 can play any game... PS1, PS2, PS3... but it costed me 600€ (almost at launch, like 2 weeks)

Slyakin

See ya suckers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I appreciate you guys adding PS2 BC to your new PS3s, but why the fuck would you screw the slim owners? I'd rather have a system update then a new fucking console.

...Sony, stop screwing around.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I did use a bot for Diablo III though but no ban there lol