ROM Hack New powersaves 3ds thread

Nyancat

wow i have a custom title, how nice
Trophies
XP
Country
I have a question about cloning.
Is it possible to back my save up, trade a Pokemon to someone else, restore my original save, and have them trade back the original?
No because your original save would've already saved the data of you trading that Pokémon over.

EDIT: Sorry my mistake, I didn't read the backup part haha.

leerpsp

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's exactly what happened to my pokemon y so I got a new one
I don't know if they will but if you can get a hold of them then id say the have too if there device bricked it. But I know if you called Nintendo and act like it just started doing that you don't know what happened and don't let them find out you were using the Cheat device when it happened 9 times out of 10 they will send you a new one or if you have the reset they will just have you take it back to the store.

Inochi.no.Zenmai

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This guy had a brick too http://www.reddit.com/r/SVExchange/..._be_flair_for_people_who_do_giveaways/chg1rlk

The annoying part is that, that guy from GameFAQS apparently was doing a backup, and the Reddit one completed its task succesfully until he put the game in the console and it wasn't working.

So, games are being bricked without even writing any data? I have this device and I'm using it only to read saves (I have not used any cheat or restored an old save file) and even with those apparently safe practices I can get a bricked cart. Datel has some serious s*** happening with this two games, and every single brick report I've seen is from Pokemon X or Y. The worst part is that it doesn't seem like it can be fixed with a software update or anything in their servers, this has to be a hardware issue right in the device.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
from what i read it accidentally writes the save into a area beyond the designated save area, assuming they could replicate the bug but make sure it ovewrites the area with the correct data that should be there it *could* be fixed, but again that was just rumors of what had happened i dont know if it was confirmed, as seeing as that guy was only backing up his save it would seem unlikely it would be the issue in that case

j_smith

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My pokemon x got bricked last week on 1.16. Threw out a webserver error and the game stopped being detected by the 3DS but still was able to be read by powersaves. I could restore a save but I couldn't apply any codes. About 20 minutes ago my pokemon y got bricked -__- this time I was already on 1.18 and I applied a few codes and everything seemed fine. It applied them, no errors whatsoever but when I put the game in my 3DS it wont be detected at all. The powersaves is still able to read it and can still apply codes and restore a save but the 3DS wont read the game. I tried it on my friends 3DS just to make sure I wasn't crazy but it wouldn't detect it either. I used the powersaves a few times these past few days on y, although I was kinda afraid cause of what happened with my pokemon x, but everything seemed to work fine and all the codes worked and everything so my fear slowly started going away and than this happens. Luckily after the pokemon x incident I backed up all pokemon to the pokebank so I'm not entirely screwed but it just sucks that both my games are bricked. I'm scared to use this thing now. I've contacted datel last week by filling out the form on the powersaves website but never heard back but I emailed them again today at a different email address. Hopefully they can fix this issue soon

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
My pokemon x got bricked last week on 1.16. Threw out a webserver error and the game stopped being detected by the 3DS but still was able to be read by powersaves. I could restore a save but I couldn't apply any codes. About 20 minutes ago my pokemon y got bricked -__- this time I was already on 1.18 and I applied a few codes and everything seemed fine. It applied them, no errors whatsoever but when I put the game in my 3DS it wont be detected at all. The powersaves is still able to read it and can still apply codes and restore a save but the 3DS wont read the game. I tried it on my friends 3DS just to make sure I wasn't crazy but it wouldn't detect it either. I used the powersaves a few times these past few days on y, although I was kinda afraid cause of what happened with my pokemon x, but everything seemed to work fine and all the codes worked and everything so my fear slowly started going away and than this happens. Luckily after the pokemon x incident I backed up all pokemon to the pokebank so I'm not entirely screwed but it just sucks that both my games are bricked. I'm scared to use this thing now. I've contacted datel last week by filling out the form on the powersaves website but never heard back but I emailed them again today at a different email address. Hopefully they can fix this issue soon
you wouldnt happen to know anyone with a gateway to get a dump of the cart and compare it against a released rom file to see if any data has indeed been overwritten.

actually just a console on 4.5 or below would do the trick.

MGS1980

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
from what i read it accidentally writes the save into a area beyond the designated save area, assuming they could replicate the bug but make sure it ovewrites the area with the correct data that should be there it *could* be fixed, but again that was just rumors of what had happened i dont know if it was confirmed, as seeing as that guy was only backing up his save it would seem unlikely it would be the issue in that case
This is from the guy who worked with Kaphotics and found the hole in Datel's security where it was not checking for valid AES MAC sigs before applying edits and resigning saves (for all you new guys, this has been patched so no hacking Hoopa.) He played with writing the save outside it's normal area and got a brick. He didn't post any code but did post a video showing his cart. He had a partial brick (one that would load but then freeze shortly after launch) but if I recall he mentioned about further trashing the card when he tried to fix it by correctly writing the save.

http://gbatemp.net/threads/powersaves-3ds-faq.364757/page-5#post-4974020

Outside of the very few that were part of this group exploiting that hole in Datel security, I don't think there has been any more public experiments into the matter due to the usual technical restraints.

K1RO

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Was it this thread or the original one, but didn't it mention writing too many codes at once causes Powersave to freeze/glitch/etc. thus making your game unreadable by the 3DS? I haven't had a problem yet with mine.

leerpsp

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
IS there any word on why these carts are getting bricked? how? if theres any procedures to avoid? what is datel doing about them?
I don't have a bricked card from the powersaves yet and hope i never do but what we need is for some one to contact them and see if they offer to have some one send there card in and if they do send there card in with a mark on it like last name or something on it to see if they fix the card or send a new one back to you.

Sheimi

A cute Vixen!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The one person who backed up their save data and got bricked interests me the most. Maybe bumping the powersaves dock while it's backing up the save data caused the brick? With my powersaves dock, I had to glue the cartridge port to the board for it to work a little better for me. Even using a brand new PS3 charger cable with the powersaves dock doesn't help at all, which is probably faulty hardware at it's best.

h448

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A bit of on-topic: Has anyone experienced the first signs of cart bricking on 1.18 or had everyone started noticing it on 1.16 and just got worse on 1.18?

I can't remember the versions I had but both of my games bricked in mid-March so whatever the most recent version that was out then was what I had. I've had no issues with 1.18 but I haven't been using it as much out of fear I'll lose my 3rd game, haha.

EDIT: And I don't know if this is actually CAUSING the bricks but it's still worthy to note probably: I've had significantly less "web errors" and corrupted saves with more recent versions of the Powersaves software compared to the ones that I had used previously.

Also: if you ignore/block members their posts stop showing up in your tracked threads. This will probably be useful for a lot of people. ;)

TrapperKeeperX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'll request that the next version of Powersaves 3DS should be offline due to the fatal bricking errors for Pokemon X & Y after the hacking it seems hey got too overprotected by the hacking causing the servers too screw up the data. Also for those who have bricked copies of Pokemon X & Y which windows version did you use? Also what connection of internet are you using Wi-Fi or Landline? I feel it's Datel's responsibility to fix this error and have powersaves & codes to fix these bricks.

Also if you want to email Datel about supporting offline codes and backup and restore data for the next version keep sending https://powersaves3ds.maximummemory.com/support/ voice your opinion to make this happen so no one will have to be a victim of bricking.

Reactions: leowalle

aftokinito

Trophies
XP
Country
I'll request that the next version of Powersaves 3DS should be offline due to the fatal bricking errors for Pokemon X & Y after the hacking it seems hey got too overprotected by the hacking causing the servers too screw up the data. Also for those who have bricked copies of Pokemon X & Y which windows version did you use? Also what connection of internet are you using Wi-Fi or Landline? I feel it's Datel's responsibility to fix this error and have powersaves & codes to fix these bricks.

Also if you want to email Datel about supporting offline codes and backup and restore data for the next version keep sending https://powersaves3ds.maximummemory.com/support/ voice your opinion to make this happen so no one will have to be a victim of bricking.

They cannot make it offline because not everyone has a 3DS that can execute arbitrary code.
I think multiple people have explained this concept a million times on this thread as well as on the old one.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    realtimesave @ realtimesave: hiiiiii