Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
pegi%20new.jpg

Kotaku said:
The UK Government has adopted the PEGI (Pan European Game Information) standard as the sole game content rating system. PEGI has revealed its new ratings icons:

Five age rating symbols that are colored green, yellow and red.

Casual games get a "PEGI OK" mark, denoting that they are, well, okay for players of all ages.

On the back of game packaging, there will descriptive symbol (Violence, Bad Language, Fear, Drugs, Sexual, Discrimination, Gambling or Online Gameplay) that indicate why a game has gotten a particular rating.

Seems clear enough.
Source: http://kotaku.com/5293645/these-are-new-pegi-symbols

The colors, Duke! THE COLORS!!!!!!!!!

Hop2089

Cute>Hot
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The 16 year age rating should have been orange caution. The symbols are a ripoff of the CERO system and some of those are unnecessary, come on there's a category for love and crime. Love and sexual content should be grouped together and crime goes with violence, associations people, use them.

UltraMagnus

hic sunt dracones
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Lets just hope they aren't as big as that German monstrosity they put on the packaging

Vidboy10 said:
On the back of game packaging, there will descriptive symbol (Violence, Bad Language, Fear, Drugs, Sexual, Discrimination, Gambling or Online Gameplay) that indicate why a game has gotten a particular rating.

so, let me get this strait, a just having people scared in the game is enough to increase its rating, bloody ridiculous. I really do wonder about some of these ratings, especially with the whole phoenix wright "grape juice" thing. Then again, I have always questioned the wisdom of such ageism.

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well I guess "fear" can be problematic for people who have heart conditions
cheap scares like in some of the resident evil and condemned games where things just pop out at you...

R2DJ

Trophies
XP
Country
UltraMagnus said:
Lets just hope they aren't as big as that German monstrosity they put on the packaging

Vidboy10 said:

so, let me get this strait, a just having people scared in the game is enough to increase its rating, bloody ridiculous. I really do wonder about some of these ratings, especially with the whole phoenix wright "grape juice" thing. Then again, I have always questioned the wisdom of such ageism.
Shovelware should be rated at 12 or higher, since I am afraid of those games. The horror!

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Wait does this mean the ratings will now be enforceable?

Were I to go the conspiracy theory route I would say it has something to do with people waking up to the disparity between ratings of games and video.

Oh well most kids I know these days can swing a newsreader as well as I and I am more than happy to teach others.

rustybanana

Trophies
XP
Country
No, The only enforceable ratings are still the BBFC, The pegi ratings are still advisory and carry no legal penaltys if mis-sold
wink.gif

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
That's interesting, Chinatown Wars didn't have a Pegi rating, it was rated 18 by BBFC.

Looks like the Pegi system has adopted the same colour system the BBFC uses.

BBFC_ratings.JPG

Vidboy10

Tsardom
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Hop2089 said:
Vidboy10 said:
Hop2089 said:
The symbols are a ripoff of the CERO system.
I hope you wern't serious about that.
The old PEGI ratings had numbers on them, so dont call the new ones a ripoff

I was meaning the new descriptive symbols on the back of the game box.
They had those too..
Seriously, look it up. im not joking

Psyfira

Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue
Trophies
XP
Country
To clarify: they coloured the boxes in.

No seriously that's all they've done, everything else mentioned in the article is already in use, and has been at least for the lifetime of the DS. Every DS game on my shelf already has one of these ratings, with a second symbol to justify why where appropriate. Given the similarities I doubt the new symbols will be any bigger than the existing ones.

I guess this is a good indicator of how many of you actually buy games!
tongue.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: idk how hot of a take this is, but science as a subject sucks