New Multiplayer Hack for DS/DSi

Discussion in 'M3 Adapter' started by DeltaBurnt, Apr 20, 2009.

Apr 20, 2009
  1. DeltaBurnt
    OP

Member DeltaBurnt I'm bored

United States
  2. dsrules

Member dsrules GBAtemp Psycho!

it's just download play in action...I don't think you need any hacks for it to work

3. DeltaBurnt
    OP

Member DeltaBurnt I'm bored

United States
    I don't know, QJ.net posted a news post about it...and I doubt they would do that if it was nothing but download play.

4. Kingfield

Member Kingfield GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Australia
    Wtf, this is full of shit, its just normal download play.

5. Styles420

Member Styles420 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Sure they would - they just proved it.

We already knew that download play would work with an M3, so someone with a ROM can play single-cart wifi with another who doesn't have the game. The DSi is supposed to be fully DS compatible (excepting anything slot-2 dependant of course), so naturally it supports download play of regular DS games.

This isn't a hack, it's just proof that when the DSi receives download play information from another DS, it has no way of discerning whether that data came from the actual cart or a ROM in a flash cart. This makes sense though - regular download play with two DS phats or lites and an M3 wouldn't work if the transmitted data was altered simply because it came from a flash cart, and the point of the flash carts is to fool the DS by emulating the proper data as closely as possible. The DS handles the broadcasting of download play information, not the flash cart - the cart's job is simply to feed the DS the proper information at the proper time.

This would only be news if we didn't have download play on flash carts working already. Calling this a hack is like saying you hacked an old TV to receive digital broadcasts using an old TV and a new digital converter box.

6. Kuschel-Drow

Member Kuschel-Drow GBAtemp Fan

Germany
    Yeah... I was just thinking why SHOULDN'T this work? It's only been two days since I first tried it with 2 DS Lite's so no surprise it works... xD