New MacBook Air

Tux'

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't you love it how they say and usually I find they emphasize "Starting only at $999" it's still a bit too overpriced for my likings...

Scott-105

Bow to me. Please?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
It's really sexy. Too expensive for me though
frown.gif

Tux'

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wait wait wait wait.... This thing has flash storage? Wow, why would they do something like that? I mean really, I would rather that MacBook to have a hard drive rather than flash memory, just saying.

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Tux' said:
Wait wait wait wait.... This thing has flash storage? Wow, why would they do something like that? I mean really, I would rather that MacBook to have a hard drive rather than flash memory, just saying.
Because it's actually faster, and if the laptop gets smashed on the ground you don't actually lose all of your data (HDs like to die when you smash them on the ground because of the moving parts)?
tongue.gif

Opium

PogoShell it to me ™
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Australia
raulpica said:
Tux' said:
Because it's actually faster, and if the laptop gets smashed on the ground you don't actually lose all of your data (HDs like to die when you smash them on the ground because of the moving parts)?
tongue.gif

Not to mention it uses less power (which is the big reason to use it in a laptop).

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
raulpica said:
Tux' said:
tongue.gif

some laptops come equipped with an accelerometer to sense a fall and shut off the hdd to prevent damage

Opium said:
raulpica said:
QUOTE(Tux' @ Oct 21 2010, 04:51 AM)
tongue.gif

Not to mention it uses less power (which is the big reason to use it in a laptop).
some of them use less power
the cheaper ones for example use about 3 times as much power compared to the regular hdd

nando

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Joe88 said:
some laptops come equipped with an accelerometer to sense a fall and shut off the hdd to prevent damage

they don't shut off they lock from spinning to avoid data loss, but that doesn't keep it from mechanical damage, like things getting loose.

Advi

Trophies
Website
www.fletchowns.net
XP
Country
United States
Okay.....for an extremely small laptop, and an Apple product, $999 isn't bad....

But what the hell. 64GB of storage? A freaking old Core 2 Duo processor?? is apple officially insane?

i've seen threads on macrumors where people thought trading off a Core iX processor for more graphic power is a good thing....what kind of graphics-intensive anything are you going to be doing on a Mac that fits in an envelope??

Ethevion

Wannabe Artist
Trophies
Website
www.lvlupart.com
XP
Country
Canada
xalphax said:
arpeejajo said:
I don't really see a point for a laptop to be that thin. To me, it just means it'll break faster if I own it.

Panasonic Tough Book for you then :-)

Now that's a laptop.

Taken straight from their website.
smile.gif

# Full magnesium alloy LCD case 20x stronger than ABS plastic
# Durable fibreglass/polycarbon cabinet 3x more impact resistance
than ABS plastic
# Polymer gel mounted HDD and FDD protect against vibration,
shocks and drops

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat