New Laptop

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by mad567, Aug 17, 2011.

Aug 17, 2011

New Laptop by mad567 at 8:56 AM (420 Views / 0 Likes) 2 replies

1. mad567
    OP

Member mad567 D. Gregar

Greece
    Hello guys I'm thinking of buying a new laptop cause mine is 5 years old and this September I'm going away for civil engineer studies..
    I live in Greece and 'll move to London. The problem is i don't have an specific laptop model in mind.
    All I want my laptop to have is:
    Blue Ray drive
    A good graphics card for some new games
    I5 or i7 processor
    15,6 screen.

Do you have any suggestions?
    Also Nvidia or ATI?
    I almost forgot my budget is between 700 - 1000 euro...

2. kevan

Member kevan Imagination rules the world

Australia
    I prefer ATI personally but I've heard Nvidia is better.

I have no idea of Laptops from Greece though sorry.

3. Originality

Member Originality Chibi-neko

United Kingdom
    The first place you should look for this kind of thing is your local computer shops. See what they have on display and get an idea of how much they charge for certain models. Then use that as reference when you look at european computer websites and find a laptop that looks good to you.

Once you've found some, feel free to post your findings onto the forums for our opinions, and also look online for professional reviews.

FYI, the choice between nVidia and AMD (ATI got bought out a couple years ago) falls down to how far up the scale the graphics card is. With nVidia, the highest you often find in laptops is GT 540 or GTX 550, where as in AMD you can find 6650M or 6750M. Some laptops may even feature stronger graphics cards, however usually at higher prices and with more exotic cooling systems than a standard laptop would have.

Lots of people prefer nVidia for gaming since they have better drivers, however AMD consistently produce stronger graphics cards that often get higher frame rates than nVidia, and this is especially frequent in laptops. On the other hand, nVidia Optimus technology can get you a fairly decent battery life.