New intels about Switch

Discussion in 'Switch - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by Noctosphere, Oct 21, 2016.

1. Noctosphere
    OP

Noctosphere Moon furries | Official follower of Skiddon't-ism

Dec 30, 2013
    Canada
    Between three furries women

2. duffmmann

duffmmann GBAtemp Psycho!

Mar 11, 2009
    United States
    If they intend to put a Super Mario Maker game on this system (which I'm pretty sure they'd be keen to do), they're gonna need a touch screen. Got a feeling the announce of touch and motion (I'm thinking each Joy-Con will have motion built in) are going to come in a separate video on the device in the coming months.

KingVamp, DrkBeam and TotalInsanity4 like this.
  3. Luckkill4u

Luckkill4u 4 guys in a car ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Jul 13, 2008
    Canada
    Insomnia
    No English source?

4. dimmidice

dimmidice GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Sep 12, 2009
    Belgium
    And how is that going to work when you're playing on the television? The controller doesn't have touch and as far as was shown the screen has to be in the dock for the TV bit to work.

5. grossaffe

grossaffe GBAtemp Addict

May 5, 2013
    United States
    Could support the Wii U gamepad

6. TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4 GBAtemp Supreme Overlord

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    Maybe incredibly accurate motion controls? You get two controllers bundled with the system, if the dock has some form of motion tracking you could theoretically pick up/place objects in 3D and select options in 2D

7. dimmidice

Sep 12, 2009
    Belgium
    It could, But making a Wii U gamepad compatible when they could've made the switch itself work like the Wii U gamepad from the start makes no real sense. Also we're talking about the base system here. I'm sure there'll be plenty highly situational peripherals for the system as is nintendo's style. But making guesses about those is a whole other level of speculation.

8. grossaffe

grossaffe GBAtemp Addict

May 5, 2013
    United States
    Clearly the Switch doesn't work like the Wii U gamepad, it just happens to have a screen you can take with you for on-the-go gaming.

9. dimmidice

Sep 12, 2009
    Belgium
    What makes you think i thought it worked like the Wii U gamepad? i said that they could've made it work like the Wii U gamepad if they'd wanted that. Clearly they didn't.

10. grossaffe

grossaffe GBAtemp Addict

May 5, 2013
    United States
    It appears I misread your post. Apologies.

11. dimmidice

Sep 12, 2009
    Belgium
    The dock doesn't seem to have any cameras or so. The dock seems to just be a dock with a video out, usb slots, and stuff like that. no real additional functions as far as i could tell. Even if it did i can't see how that would replace a touch screen.

12. Deboog

Deboog GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 22, 2013
    United States
    People talk about all these features and compatibilities Nintendo could throw in...
    Remember. This thing has a LOT going on already. A small powerful processor, a built in 720p+ screen, removable controllers with wireless/bluetooth. I am doubtful they will be able to sell if for $300, and if they don't get it under $350, it's gonna be Wii U 2.0.
    If they add streaming to the Wii U gamepad, that costs even more, and they don't have much wiggle room with cost.

13. Viri

Viri GBAtemp Maniac

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    I do know one thing, scratching that pretty screen is gonna hurt real bad, as that screen looks expensive as fuck, lol...

Deboog likes this.
  14. grossaffe

grossaffe GBAtemp Addict

May 5, 2013
    United States
    Maybe it'll throw back to the Gameboy days and actually have a transparent material protecting the screen.

15. Deboog

Deboog GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 22, 2013
    United States
    That would be dope.
    EDIT:
    Wait I was thinking of this. :P
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited by Deboog, Oct 21, 2016
  16. Viri

Viri GBAtemp Maniac

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    I think the top screens on all the 3DSes have that, I know the small O3DS has it at least. I never taken the top screen off an XL 3DS.

17. Harsky

Harsky Madmin

Aug 2, 2004
    I feel like it's a shame that they couldn't spring for internal HDDs inside the dock or it might end up being like the Wii U where it's going to be external HDDs all over again.

18. TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4 GBAtemp Supreme Overlord

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    I guarantee that any external media used will be SD cards, because otherwise you wouldn't be able to use it on the go

19. Harsky

Harsky Madmin

Aug 2, 2004
    Maybe there's a chance that 256gb SD cards will be cheap enough but I wonder if there's going to be a crazy compression method to store a digital library of 1080p/720p games on a handheld. Or maybe they'll push cartridges super hard over their eshop.

20. Fazana

Fazana Professional Trashposter

Mar 7, 2016
    Local Chippy
    128GB SD cards are around £30 and around £75 for 256GB.
    A lot of WiiU games are still in the single digit of gigabytes, so it would take quite a few to fill up 128GB, and even more so for 256GB. But then even more years down the line when eventually we reach 512 and 1TB. Also being a Tegra, I doubt textures are gonna be all that big, so I speculate that the file sizes of games will be around the WiiU level, or perhaps lower, though definitely not higher unless it's some super huge ass game like XenobladeX (which was around 20GB)