Gaming New graphics card help

kiel379

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hi, my friend gave me a nvidia graphics card, it looks pretty good and TF2 is free on steam now so i really want to play it, the trouble is i dont know what the card is, i got it out the box and iv tried typing all the different numbers and codes into google and spent ages looking at the nvidia website to try and find it but i cant, the reason i want to know is so i can get the right drivers for it unless anyone knows of a nvidia driver wizard or something i could use im a bit stuck, i would put a picture up but the idiot girlfriend soaked my camera in ribbena then tryed to fix it by soaking it in water:(

kiel379

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
PettingZoo said:
wait your girlfriend soaked the graphics card with ribena and water or something else? I'm not too sure that card may survive after that :S
ohh no sorry i said i couldnt take a picture of the card coz my camera was soaked soz

EDIT: fixed

kiel379

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Originality said:
Try downloading and running speccy. Then post the results.

Alternatively, try typing DXDIAG into the windows search/run bar and looking at what the graphics drivers says.
i havent put the card in yet i just watched a video saying how to install it and it said i need the drivers and to get the drivers i need to know what the name of the card is, all the numbers on it dont seem to show what it is apart from the nvidia logo on the top

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
When you first put it in, Windows will install generic display drivers just to be able to output picture. After that you're supposed to install the proper nVidia drivers downloaded off their website. Windows Update will have the drivers too, but they tend to be outdated compared to what you get directly from nVidia.

kiel379

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Originality said:
When you first put it in, Windows will install generic display drivers just to be able to output picture. After that you're supposed to install the proper nVidia drivers downloaded off their website. Windows Update will have the drivers too, but they tend to be outdated compared to what you get directly from nVidia.
yea but i need to know the model of the card so that i can download the right drivers, i know its a nvidia card but i dont know if its a gforce or whatever elce they make, when i get back from work ill borrow a camera and upload a pic and you can see what i mean, i was hopeing someone would be able to tell me a way of finding out the model from one of the codes on the card or a way of finding out when its plugged in to the computer with just the generic drivers.

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
Just plug it in, Windows will probably detect it and tell you exactly what card it is in device manager.

foxgrey

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
download a free program called "unknown devices", its the first link if you search it on google. Give it a run, and it may detect what the product is, if it doesn't it will give you the pci vendor and device codes, theese are 4 digit hex codes that you can then put into google!

Zetta_x

The Insane Statistician
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
kiel379 said:
Originality said:
yea but i need to know the model of the card so that i can download the right drivers, i know its a nvidia card but i dont know if its a gforce or whatever elce they make, when i get back from work ill borrow a camera and upload a pic and you can see what i mean, i was hopeing someone would be able to tell me a way of finding out the model from one of the codes on the card or a way of finding out when its plugged in to the computer with just the generic drivers.

Follow Originality's procedure:

1) Put the card in
2) Boot up windows (it may look like a very low resolution)
3)Press Windows Sign + R, then type in DXDiag
4)Click on the Display Tab
5)Download Drivers

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
Here's an idea. On my old nVidia VIdeo cards (7900GS and a 6800) both showed the model of card when the computer is turned on before the BIOS logo came up. Not sure if newer cards do it but its an idea.

kiel379

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
nutella said:
kiel379 said:
... the idiot girlfriend soaked my camera in ribbena then tryed to fix it by soaking it in water:(
Kinda off topic, but that's not idiotic. Not the soaking in ribena, that was dumb, but soaking it in purified water afterwards is actually a good idea.
purified??? no it was sat there all night so the ribena had solidified into little purple puddles and was sticky as hell, i myself have managed to do the same thing with many gadgets but only managed to save one (phone droped in toilet=put in a sealed jar of salt and rice overnight).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://gfuel.com/products/goth-gf-collectors-box?utm_source=Klaviyo_campaign&utm_medium=email&ut...