New emulators for the 3DS?

Cris1997XX

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
So, as many of you probably know the DS (More specifically the DSi model) is experiencing a "reinassance" of sorts for emulators thanks to a small group of dedicated people. Is it possible to hope for the same thing to happen to the 3DS? Its homebrew prime is probably gone, but I think many emulators are still VERY lacking compared to their DS counterparts -One such example is GameYob-. Even the O3DS is much better in every aspect aside from the screen(s), is there something holding people back?

Sweater Fish Del

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I sort of suspect that RetroArch is largely to blame. It just takes a lot of attention away from independent ports, plus many coders don't feel like contributing to a larger project like that. They'd rather just focus on their own code without worrying about stepping on anyone's toes. So it ends up just discouraging people from even working on emu ports.

It's a shame because, while some of the RetroArch cores are great, independent ports and entirely scratch built emus are always cooler and usually better. I really hope some of the stand-alone emus on the 3DS see more progress, though. In particular, mGBA and DaedalusX64-3DS are so damned close to being perfect. They each just need a tiny bit more attention. I know they could get there.

mGBA is really the best Gameboy/Color emu on the 3DS, by the way, not Gameyob. It's a pretty close comparison between mGBA-3DS and Gameyob-DS. I prefer mGBA overall because it supports the 800x240 mode.

Cris1997XX

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I sort of suspect that RetroArch is largely to blame. It just takes a lot of attention away from independent ports, plus many coders don't feel like contributing to a larger project like that. They'd rather just focus on their own code without worrying about stepping on anyone's toes. So it ends up just discouraging people from even working on emu ports.

It's a shame because, while some of the RetroArch cores are great, independent ports and entirely scratch built emus are always cooler and usually better. I really hope some of the stand-alone emus on the 3DS see more progress, though. In particular, mGBA and DaedalusX64-3DS are so damned close to being perfect. They each just need a tiny bit more attention. I know they could get there.

mGBA is really the best Gameboy/Color emu on the 3DS, by the way, not Gameyob. It's a pretty close comparison between mGBA-3DS and Gameyob-DS. I prefer mGBA overall because it supports the 800x240 mode.
From what I've heard, both mGBA and Retroarch run like shite on O3DS/2DS. I think the latter is to blame too, though. It's just become such a massive project, and people are giving up on programming their own emulators. The only actually good ones are for the usual consoles we all know and love

MarioKartFan

Trophies
XP
Country
Algeria
The renaissance that the DS is experiencing is down to just a couple of dedicated individuals. The 3DS is still seeing sustained development, though some of that attention is focused on utilities rather than emulators. There are a number of interesting projects that continue in development if you dig through these forums. A standalone forwarder creator for DS titles; an open source recreation of AGB Firm; hugely improved customized version of Luma 3DS that frankly should probably be the new default firmware; etc. Of course there have also been significant improvements to both Retroarch and its cores performance on lower powered devices, including the N3DS.

It would have been nice a few years ago to have had a better port of GameYOB to the 3DS. But if you are on a N3DS, you can just run Gambette through Retroarch, which is rock solid and very accurate. In fact, I think Gambette is probably the best way to play GB/GBC games across the entire 3DS/DSi platforms. I am not sure what mGBA does better than Gambette to be honest, except for SGB colors in DK 94.

Cris1997XX

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
The renaissance that the DS is experiencing is down to just a couple of dedicated individuals. The 3DS is still seeing sustained development, though some of that attention is focused on utilities rather than emulators. There are a number of interesting projects that continue in development if you dig through these forums. A standalone forwarder creator for DS titles; an open source recreation of AGB Firm; hugely improved customized version of Luma 3DS that frankly should probably be the new default firmware; etc. Of course there have also been significant improvements to both Retroarch and its cores performance on lower powered devices, including the N3DS.

It would have been nice a few years ago to have had a better port of GameYOB to the 3DS. But if you are on a N3DS, you can just run Gambette through Retroarch, which is rock solid and very accurate. In fact, I think Gambette is probably the best way to play GB/GBC games across the entire 3DS/DSi platforms. I am not sure what mGBA does better than Gambette to be honest, except for SGB colors in DK 94.
Retroarch would be a decent choice...if I had a New 3DS or New 2DS, but sadly I need to get good lmao. It's kinda weird how people only target the better platform, when there's much more base model(s) owners

Sweater Fish Del

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You need access to a special Discord guild to get Daedalus, don't you? The repository is never updated.
Yeah, maybe, I don't know. I'm using a version originally from Discord last December that was posted to the thread here on GBAtemp:

https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-daedalusx64-n64-emulator.562195/post-9305968

That version is only a slightly ahead of the github version.

I don't know if there's been any additional builds since then. If so, I guess I would hope to see them shared here. And yeah, it would definitely be nice if the repository got updated to whatever's current, especially if development has been stalled for a while.

lone_wolf323

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

You have tried and played the n64 emu yes? Its decent but still a long ways from perfect of what you're going on about.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Is it safe to update a modded ps3? Can I play online in pirated games? (with ps3hen either...