Hardware New control stick revision?

g00s3y

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just noticed this today putting together joycons. The attached one was from a new pair of neon yellow joycons I bought from Walmart a couple days ago. The unattached stick is from an older pair of joycons. Both OEM nintendo.

I don't know if anything inside the actual stick/housing is different, but the outside clearly is.

b_dasher

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Maybe they switched manufacturer? I know that happened with the screen. What interests me is how there are those foam pieces inside the new joy-con. I thought they fixed that issue a while back. I saw the patents for a revised board and figured that would have been out by now, too. I guess the oldest joy-con don't have any foam at all then? But with regards to the new looking analog piece who knows, maybe they addressed the drifting problems people talk about. We won't really know until someone cracks one open kind of like if non-hackable (for now) switch systems have a different motherboard or something over and above the patch done to the main chip.

Reactions: Deleted_444986

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Can you check one thing for me?
There are a lot of Joycon analog sticks that get gunk and they respond abnormally after a while.
Thing is that there is a slight piece of silicon underneat the thumbpad itself which supposedly protects gunk from getting inside.

Can you check if the silicone piece underneat the thumbpad is different in any form compared to the old one, please?

Illuminaticy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Agreed. It seems like JoyCons are beginning to develop analogue issues because of debris buildup en-masse as of late (mine included), so I wonder if Nintendo's already trying to address it.
It would be nice if they actually did something to fix it. Too damn expensive to have such a stupid flaw.
Also hope they do something to make the stick covers actually go back on the way they are meant to, and not be full of lumps

Reactions: ShadowOne333

g00s3y

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry guys, been busy, haven't had a chance to open one or remove the cap (mainly because don't have a spare of the new one, because time, and partly because getting those caps back on sucks). It's still here and there with these *new* sticks. Some have them, some still have the *old* style.

Reactions: ShadowOne333

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Sorry guys, been busy, haven't had a chance to open one or remove the cap (mainly because don't have a spare of the new one, because time, and partly because getting those caps back on sucks). It's still here and there with these *new* sticks. Some have them, some still have the *old* style.
There's no need to fully open nor remove the cap of them.
What I meant was take a picture of the other side of the analog stick, where the rubber pad is.
And also perhaps a picture of the body of the analog stick (below the thumbpad).
Opening them completely would for sure screw things up, but I am only interested in seeing if the other side of the body of the analog stick is different with a simple pic comparison. :P

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Here's some side by side shots. Unfortunately the older one has the pad removed, but completely intact other than that.

Interesting.
The rubber part that covers the dome of the stick does look different, like made from a different material almost.
Though it remains to be seen if this slight change actually protects the stick from dust and dirt.

Ginger OfOZ

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are you able to tell if the FFC on the new stick has copper pads rather than graphite(I think) ones? Would be sweet if the new sticks could be soldered to without an adapter to miss with.

pcwizard7

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I like to bring this topic up as one of my joy cons has a drift. can any1 confirm if there been a shadow revision for the joysticks? if so how i go about finding one to make sure its one with the revision

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse