New alternative to the Circle Pad Pro announced

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by duffmmann, Jul 21, 2014.

1. duffmmann
    OP

duffmmann GBAtemp Psycho!

Mar 11, 2009
    United States
    Just found out about this here: http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...elease_in_japan_sees_new_circle_pad_accessory

[​IMG]

No word on localization outside of Japan. Hori have made this new CPP alternative available for both 3DS and 3DS XL consoles. Developed specifically for Monster Hunter 4, though it appears it should work with any game that utilizes the CPP.

The key difference is that the second circle pad is put on the left shoulder, while the ZL button gets relocated to the back of the device:

[​IMG]

This location allows for the same benefits of the CPP without the added off-sided length the original device adds to the right side of your 3DS/XL. Also I think it looks very comfortable. Admittedly the location of the second circle pad seems odd at first, but I bet its something you'd get used to fairly quickly. I also think the ZL button on the device (especially the standards 3DS version) actually reminds me a lot of the original Z button on the N64 controller.

I really want one. Does anyone know if with the CPP if a Japanese version of the device will work with a 3DS? If so I may have to import this thing, regardless of if it will eventually be localized or not.

Finally, an image that I didn't want to post as it was too large for the one detail I wanted to point out, but if you want to see what the front of the device looks like on a standard 3DS (its slightly different), go here and look at the bottom right of the image: http://www.hori.jp/products/3dsll/mh4g_slidepad/

Sicklyboy likes this.
  2. Thirty3Three

Thirty3Three Musician Member

Mar 22, 2013
    United States
    Wherever you want me, baby.
    Ew.

3. duffmmann
    OP

Mar 11, 2009
    United States

Looks far more attractive (and comfortable) to me than the original/official Nintendo version.

4. zhdarkstar

zhdarkstar GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 30, 2008
    United States
    If the second stick was on the right side, I'd buy it. I foresee many bad cramps caused by this device during the learning curve.

yuyuyup likes this.
  5. duffmmann
    OP

Mar 11, 2009
    United States

I think it kind of does make sense to be on the left side. As you hit the R button in games far more often than you hit the L button, meaning the relocation of the ZL button is probably less of an overall hindrance than relocating the ZR button, especially after you conquer the learning curve.

6. Apache Thunder

Apache Thunder I have cameras in your head!

Oct 7, 2007
    United States
    Levelland, Texas
    They call them thumbsticks for a reason. So thumbs can move them. The problem with the location of the second thumbstick means you would need two thumbs on your left hand to use it effectively. I consider this design worse then the original. I can't imagine trying to use the main thumbstick and the second with my index or middle finger. It will be awkward as hell and I have no plans on ever using this device. :P

MegaBassBX likes this.
  7. duffmmann
    OP

Mar 11, 2009
    United States

Actually they aren't called thumbsticks, they are slide pads. Just saying. Also, considering the second pad is for the camera, the need to move it is not frequent, and I can't see any problems getting used to sliding the second pad with my left index finger. Definitely plan on picking it up, I think its a far better design than the original. I hate how much you have to reach with the original to hit the abxy buttons, this looks like a huge fix to that annoying problem.

cearp likes this.
  8. porkiewpyne

porkiewpyne Report-er

Global Moderator
    Jun 8, 2008
    Australia
    That positioning looks awkward as hell especially for non-MH4 games.

9. Apache Thunder

Oct 7, 2007
    United States
    Levelland, Texas
    I understand they are called slide pads, but they are simply a modification of the traditional thumb-stick. A normal thumb-stick wouldn't work on a clamshell like device so they have to make it work differently so that the "thumb-stick" doesn't take up too much vertical space. No matter what you call it, most people still use their thumbs to move the "slide pad". So what this thing is called is irrelevant.

To top that off, I'm left handed and am better at using the stylus with my left hand. So games like Pokemon X/Y can be awkward to play when I go to super train my pokemon. It would have helped if the circle pad was on the right side of the 3DS so that I can use the stylist with my left hand.....Why no device to solve that situation Nintendo? :P

I kinda wished they made left handed versions of the 3DS. :P

EDIT: One of the reasons I liked the N64. Most games had me using the thumb-stick with my left hand. The only problem I would see with a left handed 3DS with the buttons on the left side and thumb-stick on the right is that I've been wired to use the thumb-stick with my left and not the right. Part of the paradox of having a stylus on a portable console like this as it can create a problem for left handed folks and if you made the console left handed, then right handed people would have a problem with it. :P

Although oddly, I learned how to use the mouse and keyboard with my right hand. It's interesting to know that there is left handed people out there for whatever reason decided to learn the mouse with their left hand. The first computer I touched as a child had the mouse on the right. So that's just how I started using it. It all comes down to which hand you use to learn something new with. Once that happens that hand becomes dominate in that task. I tried to use the mouse with my left hand once. It felt like I was trying to use the computer while drunk. :P

10. Memoir

Memoir A Hero to Zero

GBAtemp Patron
    Memoir is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    Wyoming
    ...but.. what.. Wait.... WHAT?

11. hippy dave

hippy dave BBMB

Apr 30, 2012
    United Kingdom
    Weird. Would probably have to try it to see if I liked it, but that will probably never happen if it doesn't get sold outside of Japan.

12. Apache Thunder

Oct 7, 2007
    United States
    Levelland, Texas
    Yeah. The big problem with this device is the vast majority of people learned how to use analog thumb-sticks (or "slidepads" if you feel like being a smart-ass) with their thumbs so this device looks like a nightmare to use no matter what game it was intended for.:P

13. frogboy

frogboy lacking both style and grace

Dec 6, 2011
    United States
    I can honestly say that I would never even bother touching this thing.

14. WiiCube_2013

WiiCube_2013 GBAtemp Guru

Oct 19, 2013
    Gaza Strip
    Bleh. Looks incredibly uncomfortable as vomiting would be.

15. Ammako

Ammako GBAtemp Guru

Dec 22, 2009
    Canada
    Controlling the second circle pad with your left hand's index finger while the same hand's thumb is already using the first circle pad?
    Not gonna happen.

16. duffmmann
    OP

Mar 11, 2009
    United States
    Not many open minded people here lol. I get the feeling some people may be CPP owners that don't even want to consider than an alternative could possibly be better.

17. WiiCube_2013

Oct 19, 2013
    Gaza Strip
    Do you honestly think that the position of where the thumbstick has been put is a good idea? It all comes down to this not whether people are open minded or not.

18. zhdarkstar

zhdarkstar GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 30, 2008
    United States
    Except it's going to be damn near physically impossible to be able to operate two sticks with one hand simultaneously. Unlike simply pressing a button, operating a thumbstick requires fine motor controls. There's a reason that everyone else puts the second stick on the right side. The average human hand is only capable on doing one fine motor task at a time. Performing two separate but complementary fine motor tasks with the same hand is a practical impossiblity. However, it's actually quite natural to have each hand do fine motor tasks that complement each other.

EDIT: Open-mindedness has NOTHING to do with this. This is all about failing to understand how body mechanics work.

WiiCube_2013 likes this.
  19. kirokun

kirokun GBAtemp Regular

Jan 31, 2008
    United States
    I like how there's a usable spot, just above the power button, that's just begging to be used/placed

20. WiiCube_2013

Oct 19, 2013
    Gaza Strip
    Let's take Sony for example, which is Japanese company which since the original PlayStation has been sticking to their awkward bottom analogue sticks on the DualShock controllers but thankfully on the PS4 controller they're actually quite nice to hold and doesn't feel like a hella pain after 10mins.

The Japanese seem to think differently about how the human hands work.