new 3ds xl disassembly

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by acme64, Oct 1, 2016.

1. acme64
    OP

acme64 Member

Newcomer
    Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    tl;dr any idea how to remove stripped screws from the 3ds?

so my screen cracked, i ordered a replacement with the screw driver, the screws are so tight it stripped the driver -.- i use a better screw driver and now the screws are stripped... now what? has anyone ever had to remove a stripped screw from their case?

2. grafate

grafate GBAtemp Regular

Jan 30, 2016
    United States
    Hope you learned your lesson and will not go cheap on a incorrect screwdriver. Those screwdrivers that come with generic screens are cheaply made and should not be used.

I hear others do the rubber band trick. But if its beyond stripped to recover then the 3ds screws are tiny. And I used a dremel on a 2ds with the finest bit and took the head off the screw. Then once off used pliers to unscrew the shaft end.

3. acme64
    OP

acme64 Member

Newcomer
    Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    I didn't think those things would be in there so tight :/ I don't think i have a dremel tip that can fit on those tiny holes to cut the heads off. in rubber bands we trust. thanks

4. CMDreamer

CMDreamer GBAtemp Regular

Oct 29, 2014
    Mexico
    Try with a slanted screwdriver small enough to fit on the head of the screws. I've opened an o3DSXL using one. Just be sure to apply some downward pressure as you twist the screws in a small fast motion.

5. JacksonS

JacksonS GBAtemp Fan

Feb 13, 2016
    United States
    Georgia
    Something I have done is attach the screwdriver to the screw with superglue. Hold it until it's really stuck (a minute or two) and then use it. The superglue will come off of the screwdriver.

TariqSoftDev likes this.