New 3ds vs old iterations

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by Ol' Archimedes, Dec 11, 2014.

1. Ol' Archimedes
    OP

Ol' Archimedes Member

Newcomer
    Nov 14, 2014
    Romania
    I am curious about one thing in particular. In the past I had a Nintendo DSi. After a ton of usage the shoulder buttons broke. A few years later a bud of mine bought himself a 3DS XL, but from the looks of it Nintendo used the same kind of shoulder buttons they used in the past.

I was just wondering does the New 3DS have different shoulder buttons than in the past?

2. Arithmatics

Arithmatics I'll be holding on to you. ;}

Jan 29, 2009
    Malaysia
    Different shoulder buttons.

Ol' Archimedes likes this.
  3. Nemix77

Nemix77 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 30, 2009
    Canada
    I don't actually own one waiting for NA release but from many online hype reviews via YouTube, GBAtemp and even professional review sites.

I've gathered that the New 3DS's buttons in general have a better feel to them then the old 3DS, they are firstly slightly bigger in the case of the face buttons and D-Pad on the XL models and have a more precise clickity feel to them however no one can speak for how durable they are compared to the old 3DS's face button and D-Pad.

As for the shoulder buttons, they are said to follow same trend of the new more precise clickity feel of the face buttons/D-Pad but they are smaller in size compared to the old 3DS's shoulder buttons mainly to make room and proper spacing for the additional ZR/ZL buttons and same goes for durability only time will tell.

I've not seen or read anything that has been changed about the left analog stick so it's very likely it's the same as the old 3DS's left analog stick but I really would have liked it if Nintendo were to use a rubber coating on the top part of the left analog stick for the New 3DS and maybe made it slightly bigger like the face buttons and D-Pad on the New 3DS (we're talking 0.X mm here but it does make a difference IMHO).

4. Ol' Archimedes
    OP

Ol' Archimedes Member

Newcomer
    Nov 14, 2014
    Romania
    I think you are wrong on the size of the shoulder buttons. Take a look at this:

[​IMG]

DSlite2 and Nemix77 like this.
  5. Nemix77

May 30, 2009
    Canada
    New 3DS XL vs old 3DS XL:

Pause at 1:53 - 1:55 you can clearly see the New 3DS's shoulder buttons are smaller, I cannot speak for a old 3DS (non XL) vs a New 3DS XL as the picture is shown above.

Take into account the YouTube videos, GBAtemp forum and professional reviews that I've recently read and watched are all from final retail models on the New 3DS in Australia and New Zealand not from previews of the portable console before it was release as some pictures you find online maybe from prototypes per-release revisions of the New 3DS.

Edit:

The dude above has several videos on the New 3DS and owns both the standard and XL models on the New 3DS with a comparison video too. There's a few other dudes that also have great reviews on the New 3DS on YouTube with the same Aussie accent. :)

He-Man the most powerful man in the Universe:

6. Ol' Archimedes
    OP

Ol' Archimedes Member

Newcomer
    Nov 14, 2014
    Romania
    Sorry mate but you are mistaken. The picture actually shows a old 3DS (non XL) vs a New 3DS (also non XL). Here's the source: http://kotaku.com/how-the-new-nintendo-3ds-stacks-up-to-the-original-3ds-1645160997
    Also thanks for the vids. I'll surely look into then though I am more interested in the smaller versions.

7. Nemix77

May 30, 2009
    Canada
    I stand corrected on the New 3DS (on XL) vs old 3DS (non XL) shoulder button sizes, it's not the model I'm specifically looking at as I'm waiting for and I'm looking to get a New 3DS XL when it hits NA.

New 3DS vs New 3DS XL:

Same dude pause at 4:25 you can clearly see the New 3DS (non XL) shoulder buttons are slightly longer and slightly shorter than the New 3DS XL shoulder buttons and compared to the old 3DS (non XL) the shoulder buttons on the New 3DS (non XL) are indeed bigger (taller/more fat).

Edit:

This dude does a fantastic review of the New 3DS XL:

8. Ol' Archimedes
    OP

Ol' Archimedes Member

Newcomer
    Nov 14, 2014
    Romania
    Yes you are right about the buttons.

9. Nemix77

May 30, 2009
    Canada
    I'm not a big fan of the New 3DS XL's stylus being shorter and more fat than the 3DS XL's stylus due the the stylus slot being moved to the front of the portable console now on the New 3DS XL.

I don't think the stylus size has changed on the New 3DS (non XL) standard models, guess I'll just have to get a DSi XL external stylus from Nintendo's parts store once I get my New 3DS XL.

10. weatMod

weatMod GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 24, 2013
    United States
    yeah just got my AU unit last week , and i was pleasantly surprised with the L R buttons and even the ZR ZL buttons feel great which i was really skeptical about , on the other hand the new analog nub feels stiff, i know it's not meant to move, but you have to push it much harder than i had imagined

also the 3d + says 180 degree 3d but it is BS , the head tracking works good if you are looking at it directly to avoid you slipping out of the"sweet spot" but looking at the top screen from any angle the 3d does not look right at all , you can see it but its not the same as straight on

11. Nemix77

May 30, 2009
    Canada
    The new 3D+ face tracking feature is probably 45 - 60 degrees from left/right and 30 degrees from top/bottom.

Which means a total of 90 - 120 degrees from left to right and 60 degrees from bottom to top, companies usually advertise their viewing angles more than they actually are in real use.

The new analog nub should have that stiff feel it's not mean to be moved like the left analog stick instead it should act like those old IBM ThinkPad mouse tracking nubs, and with time and enough usage the nub will get easier to press it's just like that because it's new plastic with rubber coating right now.

12. weatMod

weatMod GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 24, 2013
    United States
    i have to wonder if they used a new screen from sharp that has more bars in the parallax barrier ,still waiting on GW so i have no AU region games to play on it
    but the 1st thing i will test are a couple of scenes in a couple of games that have a mirroring or ghosting problem with 3d, it seems like it happens with bright light sources in the game, like in OOT the hyrule castle gate torches and in RE revelations there is a room with sconces that does it ,wonder if the new screen has the same problem