New 3DS .cia install problems

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Midvoc, Dec 15, 2015.

1. Midvoc
    OP

Midvoc Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 11, 2015
    Hi folks,

Ok here goes - I managed to get a 2DS coldbooting into emunand and from there i use FBI to install whatever .CIA file I wish - simple and works everytime.

However, I also have a new 3DS and I have managed to get as far as it coldbooting into emunand no problem but I cannot figure out how to get a .CIA installer working on it (FBI, DEVMENU, BLUE etc etc).

I am not using any flashcart just the exploits from the various guides.

Is it possible to install roms via a .CIA manager from at the stage I am at.

I don't want to go any further in case I brick the console lol.

I was trying Universal Inject Generator but this was a little confusing and doesn't seem to install any roms - just hp.app files.

Any help or advice again is much appreciated.

Best Regards

2. night_hawk

night_hawk GBAtemp Fan

Dec 3, 2014
    Italy
    What i did was:
    Install FBI CIA through homebrew launcher into sysnand.
    Copy the Nintendo 3ds folder of the microsd card into the pc.
    Format emunand
    Copy back the Nintendo 3ds folder into microsd card.
    Unlink SYS/Emunand

3. Midvoc
    OP

Midvoc Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 11, 2015
    Thanks for the reply - I have already unlinked the nands - do you think i can still do this at the stage I am at?

Best Regards

4. squee666

squee666 Advanced Tech Pleb

Sep 17, 2010
    Belfast
    i did the same as Night_Hawk seems to guarente cias installing.

Midvoc i have been where you are at you hav eto reinstall emunand with the steps above or it wont work, at least you have an empty emunand

5. night_hawk

night_hawk GBAtemp Fan

Dec 3, 2014
    Italy
    So you have to delete your emunand, install FBI in sysnand, copy the Nintendo 3ds folder on your PC, format a new emunand, copy back the Nintendo 3ds folder.
    Now your nands are linked, do a system format in sysnand without the microsd card inserted

6. wurstpistole

wurstpistole N3DS B9S

Nov 19, 2015
    Gambia, The
    Midvoc likes this.
  7. night_hawk

night_hawk GBAtemp Fan

Dec 3, 2014
    Italy
    Nice one, didn't know inject works on N3DS too. Good to know :)

8. wurstpistole

wurstpistole N3DS B9S

Nov 19, 2015
    Gambia, The
    It doesn't work with rxtools, but decrypt9 does it just fine. In fact decrypt9 could replace gateway completely for nand operations, as it seems capable of creating Emunand too. That'd make setting up cfw way easier, not meaning it's that hard with cubic ninja and gateway but it certainly would save some steps in between. Can't confirm that though as I won't try myself, but I'm sure the next up to date tutorial will use decrypt9 instead of gateway.

9. Midvoc
    OP

Midvoc Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 11, 2015
    Cheers for the replies folks ;)

I used the guide that wurstpistole linked further up the thread and basically i used the fbi.cia file and injected it into the health & safety app (after dumping the h & s app first from emunand).

When i rebooted voila!! FBI was there to use and install what I wanted - a really awesome bit of software is decrypt and universal inject generator.

I didn't have to delete EMUNAND or anything like that and was glad to avoid that potential rabbit hole.

Best Regards