'New' 3DS Backplate Mod?

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by JohnTravolski, Jul 7, 2016.

1. JohnTravolski
    OP

JohnTravolski GBAtemp Regular

Jul 9, 2015
    United States
    The backplate on the New 3DS is probably the hardest thing I've ever tried to take off. For that reason alone, I've left it off completely because I need regular access to the micro SD card. However, it's very unnerving when the battery is just out in the open and is potentially at risk of falling out right while I'm in the midst of doing something. For these reasons, I'm wondering:

Has anybody ever modded their backplate so that they could access the microSD card while still covering up the battery? Is there an easy/efficient way to do this?

2. Temptress Cerise

Temptress Cerise Miss Magic~ <3

May 1, 2016
    United States
  3. ih8ih8sn0w

ih8ih8sn0w Koreaboo

Aug 22, 2015
    United States
    Hell
    Just leave it unscrewed unless you are going out. IDK about the n3ds xl, but my battery sits in there fine with the backplate completely off (I usually leave it off if I am testing some stuff and need to take my sd card out several times).

4. Viri

Viri GBAtemp Maniac

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    Oh god, that mod, lols. As for the battery, if you're worried about it falling out, couldn't you just use some electric tape, and tape it?

5. bi388

bi388 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 29, 2015
    United States
    Just use an ftp program instead of taking out the SD card

6. caitsith2

caitsith2 GBAtemp Regular

Jan 16, 2004
    Canada
    a secret location 93 million miles from the sun
    Putting the SD card into a PC based reader is the fastest way to transfer large amounts of data to/from it.

7. Jao Chu

Jao Chu GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 20, 2013
    straya m8
    I've had many a file get corrupted when using FTP, i dont recommend using it based off my experiences. If you're using Windows PC, microSD management is safer than FTP in terms of file corruption.

8. TVL

TVL #|

Feb 17, 2004
    World -1
    I never remove my SD card anymore, used to be a hassle and I was looking for an extension cable from the SD card slot out the Cartridge port. Now I don't see any reason.

9. Temarile

Temarile (ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧ A9LH ✧゚・: *ヽ(◕ヮ◕ヽ)

Jan 7, 2016
    Netherlands
    I just use FTPD (on my 3ds) and Filezilla (on my pc) and haven't had an issue with it. It's way better than having to unscrew the backplate every single time. I don't know why you're having such issues taking it off? The screws don't come out, they just loosen. After that it's a simple push of the nail under the edge and it's off..

10. bidiminished

bidiminished Member

Newcomer
    Dec 20, 2015
    Removing the screws completely works better than leaving them unscrewed.