Nesds+DSIXL

Discussion in 'NDS - Emulation and Homebrew' started by Langin, Jul 27, 2010.

Jul 27, 2010

Nesds+DSIXL by Langin at 7:58 PM (4,204 Views / 0 Likes) 10 replies

1. Langin
    OP

Member Langin GBAtemp's kpop addict

Netherlands
    So I was reading the Supercard DSTWO plug-in topic and well I saw I may not use nes-ds on my DSIXL. Now my question: Why may I not play it on my dsi xl?

Give me a good reason cos everything plays fine for me!(although that was 2 weeks ago)

2. twiztidsinz

Member twiztidsinz Taiju Yamada Fan

United States
    Don't own nor have I read up on the DSTwo so I could be very wrong here, but...

Maybe they mean you can't use the nesDS Moonshell Plugin version?

3. L551

Member L551 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    It may because there have been reports of NES-DS permanently damaging the top screen of the XL. I personally haven't had this happen, though.

4. YayMii

Member YayMii hi

Canada
    That doesn't make any sense whatsoever. There is no way that a screen can be damaged with software, especially if it isn't even designed to attempt to damage it.

5. Slyakin

Member Slyakin See ya suckers

United States
    Unless... The software tries to burn something into the screen or flashes the screen until pixels get loose?

Never heard of that stuff though...

6. YayMii

Member YayMii hi

Canada
    That's called "attempting to damage the screen".

7. fearofshorts

Member fearofshorts GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    There is one way for software to damage the screen: if it forces the refresh rate to something different (say, to match a console's refresh rate) then it can damage it.

So, maybe NesDS does that... I'd doubt it though.

8. Arm73

Member Arm73 GBAtemp Addict

Italy

Well my favorite emulator, ZXDS does that. O mean it changes the refresh rate to 50hz so that it can match the original output of the Spectrum.
    It looked fine on the DSL but I see a little shadow on the DSiXL when on the main menu ( white background of the 128K menu), so I'm starting to worry.
    Should I quit using ZXDS ?

9. fearofshorts

Member fearofshorts GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    It seems quite unlikely that it would be a problem... but there is a chance. Maybe you should send the developer a quick email. Or PM Exophase. Or something.

10. Fat D

Member Fat D GBAtemp Maniac

Germany
    As far as I remember, those lines occur on DS systems if the screen voltage supply is turned to low, e.g. by modifying the pots under the battery cover in a DS Lite.

11. koimayeul

Member koimayeul GBAtemp Maniac

France
    it happened to my Dsi XL using SC DSonei card and nesDs with super mario bros rom

my little niece been playing it until we eat BBQ she came and left my console inside house on pause with this damn game running..

after that i had my top screen burned with lines of the coin, time and stuff from the rom

so it happen not only with Dstwo, but i think only with dsi XL because of some refresh rate issue, or displaying fixed image for long time

since then i disable flicker to none in the display emu options of the nesds and avoid to keep my console open with any game on paused status

never seen this problem anymore since! i think safe for normal use of any game.. tough i check after my niece whenever she use my XL now ^^

edit : the burned image disapeared after i left my console alone for a few 4-5 hours off power