boktor666

Gbatemp's official Solar Boy™ Is Back!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hey guys,

Recently, I've been able to get my hands on a NES. Now, With that was a game that comes from the NTSC-region. And with my console being PAL, that doesn't really work at all. Knowing that I'll run into this again in the feature, I'd like to have a way to bypass the lockout chip.

Now the question: Game Key, or getting the NES10 disabled?

Also curious to the following: What games will be affected by the disabling? I know of Super Mario Bros. Going on steroids because the clock in the console goes faster. Are there more games like that?

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Getting the NES10 disabled is the quickest way and doesn't have any counter effects.

The GameKey is just a bulky piece of crap which will do the same thing, but without physical modification to the console. I suppose it'd have made sense in the 80s when your NES was under warranty, but now it doesn't ;)

The issue with SMB on steroids is because of the different frequency in PAL vs NTSC. There's no work-around for that except to use NTSC carts or ROMs. The NES can't be modded to work as 60/50 like other consoles as the physical ICs are different between PAL and NTSC.

Other games, like Castlevania II or MegaMan have the music sped-up/slowed to a crawl because of the frequency issue.

There's an even quicker way, just buy an Everdrive N8, which has a built-in CIC bypass and will let you use NTSC-U ROMs on your NES, not incurring in any speed issues :)

Reactions: migles

boktor666

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
While the Everdrive N8 sounds really tempting to get (like, really TEMPting), I'm a bit of a collector :P I'll think about it though, it looks like a godsend for games which are not within reach!
How about SMB3? Will that suffer from disabling the NES10 as well? It's PAL game on a PAL console, so it shouldn't have that issue right? (Even though the SMB I talked about earlier was a PAL on PAL as well).

Anyways, thanks for the suggestion! I'm one step closer to disabling my NES10. I just need confirmation that my games I already own won't go to shat.

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
While the Everdrive N8 sounds really tempting to get (like, really TEMPting), I'm a bit of a collector :P I'll think about it though, it looks like a godsend for games which are not within reach!
How about SMB3? Will that suffer from disabling the NES10 as well? It's PAL game on a PAL console, so it shouldn't have that issue right? (Even though the SMB I talked about earlier was a PAL on PAL as well).

Anyways, thanks for the suggestion! I'm one step closer to disabling my NES10. I just need confirmation that my games I already own won't go to shat.
Whoops, I somehow mixed things up and thought that your unit was NTSC-U.

Playing PAL games on a PAL unit is fine, you'll only face issues when playing out-of-region games.

IIRC, the timer goes crazy even on a real PAL NES. Let me dig up my NES and my SMB cart...

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
alternativaly you could get a second nes this time being NTSC...
depending on your home or setup maybe having the 2 consoles is not the ideal... but since you are a collector.. it would be a good\cool thing.. in case one console decides to stop working you have a backup...

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Just out of the sake of keeping it original, I'd use a Gamekey.
Butchering the console just to play that game isn't worth it from a collecting point of view.
Or use a flashcard and just store the games on yer shelf.

boktor666

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Just out of the sake of keeping it original, I'd use a Gamekey.
Butchering the console just to play that game isn't worth it from a collecting point of view.
Or use a flashcard and just store the games on yer shelf.
It's not neccesarily 'that game', there's some trouble in availabilty. If I use eBay to track down certain games I want, I find myself regulary disappointed by the amount of listings in my region (Europe). Many games are being shipped from the USA, therefore increasing the amount of availible titles (also the ones that didn't come out in PAL regions). I do agree with the collecting standpoint, keeping a console as is - that's one of the things I'm debating right now.

Confirmed, PAL NES with PAL SMB + Duck Hunt and the timer is on crack.

Well, that's good to have confirmed. I wonder if SMB3 suffers from the same thing, as it's a game with a timer as well...

Currently leaning towards getting the lockout disabled. Gamekey's aren't easy to find right now. And getting a second console is cool, I do agree on that, but the chances of it arriving damaged (as happens a lot during shipping)... Well, I'd rather not risk it.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I'd get an NTSC NES then.
If money is an issue that is.

I mean, I got hacked consoles and flashcards for DS/GBA, I get games (sometimes out of region) and just download a copy of that game and play the backup of it.

boktor666

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I'd get an NTSC NES then.
If money is an issue that is.

I mean, I got hacked consoles and flashcards for DS/GBA, I get games (sometimes out of region) and just download a copy of that game and play the backup of it.
yeah, did the same with NDS games. (Rolling that GBATemp Supercard dstwo). It's very tempting to get an Everdrive, just for the reason of simplicity.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
yeah, did the same with NDS games. (Rolling that GBATemp Supercard dstwo). It's very tempting to get an Everdrive, just for the reason of simplicity.

;-;
You just hate me!

As soon as Thor and I are living together, I'll also invest in a couple of Everdrives.
NES SNES N64 are the systems I want carts for.
GB and GBC... maybe.
Simplicity, yes.
Never have to take out the cart, less wear and tear on the system.

boktor666

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
;-;
You just hate me!

As soon as Thor and I are living together, I'll also invest in a couple of Everdrives.
NES SNES N64 are the systems I want carts for.
GB and GBC... maybe.
Simplicity, yes.
Never have to take out the cart, less wear and tear on the system.

Just so you know, if you think about getting a Everdrive, there's so many colors to choose from... It's pretty cool.
(And no, I don't hate you, I love all Tempers equally <3)

I think I'm going to kill the lockout. It seems performance goes up when the think is disabled (read: It will have more succes reading games).
If I CAN track down a Game Key, I might reconsider. But as it stands now, they're very scarce.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Yay <З

Hmm I'll prolly go with the translucent red, somehow it just looks neater.
Translucent dark blue for Super Card SD ftw

Before you start mutilating your NES, try this

Edit: seems to only work for Jap games tho ;/

Last edited by DinohScene,

boktor666

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Yay <З

Hmm I'll prolly go with the translucent red, somehow it just looks neater.
Translucent dark blue for Super Card SD ftw

Before you start mutilating your NES, try this

Edit: seems to only work for Jap games tho ;/

The fix seems very useful tho, I still didn't have a clue how to do this, so thanks for this link, I'll try to find out if there are JAP games that are worth the effort!

Reactions: DinohScene

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse