gov78

Ha made you Look
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Okay guys i need to buy a new motherboard and processor coz my 1.8GHz Dual Core (i know its a joke) is on it last legs so i think i might aswell do the motherboard and CPU at the same time. Right now im looking to spend around about £100. I do use it for quite a bit of gaming and here a few things i want.

PCIe 16x 2.0
AMD
Nvidia Chipset

What im gunna put on it is a 8800 GTS 512MB,2.5GB DDR2 667,250GB 7200RPM SATA2 Hardrive.

Here what i motherboard i was thinking of getting but maybe u guys could help me decide by showing me some other options.

Biostar GF8100 AM2+ SE

xcalibur

Gbatemp's Chocolate Bear
Trophies
XP
Country
One tip: Don't bother with AMD. They provide inferior performance and overheat easily.
I would suggest you go with an intel alternative but your £100 budget is extremely restrictive.

Best mainstream config right now is a mobo with a P45 chipset and an E8400 cpu.
That will set you back almost £250 though :/.
Just give yourself some more time to save up. £100 won't get you much...

p1ngpong

Gamer Professional Deluxe
Supervisor
Trophies
Website
imgur.com
XP
Country
Croatia
I agree with Xcali, its best to wait and get as much cash as possible so you can buy the best hardware.

As for the CPU you were thinking of, yeah its ok, its pretty cheap but the L2 Cache of 1 MB ( 2 x 512 k ) is low, try and go for at the least 2 MB L2 cache for a CPU.

p1ngpong

Supervisor
Trophies
Website
imgur.com
XP
Country
Croatia
gov78 said:
AMD X2 5600+

This says the L1 128KB X2 L2 Cache 1024KB (1MB) X2

BTW is the motherboard good or bad?

That CPU is better, its pretty much the minimum you would be looking to go for, if you dont plan on doing anything really intensive it will do the job perfectly well.

The boards ok, I mean for the price you cant really argue. If it was me however I would look for a board with four RAM slots instead of two. It supports up to 8 gig of RAM in total, which is good, you probably wouldnt want to use more then 3 or 4 gig at the most anyway. But if I had four gig I would much rather have 4 1gig RAM modules instead of two 2 gig ones. Thats just my preference.

But like I said for the price its got everything you need and you cant really complain about what it has. It will do the job fine.

gov78

Ha made you Look
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Riiiiight okay ive changed my mind im gunna stick with intel since it looks better for me in the long run. Im thinking of getting a Intel E5200 but im stuck with finding a motherboard that has PCIe x16 2.0 the Nvidia Chipset isnt necessary anymore but PCIe 2.0 is

Lee79

Hyper...Active...Team Fortress 2 Addict
Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
Xcalibur said:
One tip: Don't bother with AMD. They provide inferior performance and overheat easily.
I would suggest you go with an intel alternative but your £100 budget is extremely restrictive.

Do not know why you think AMD CPU's over heat i have a 4200+ x2 (2.4GHz) overclocked to 5400+ x2 (2.8 GHz) speed and the max temps i get are 43 degrees C. The only thing stopping me overclocking more is my Motherboard my ram is running at 935mhz overclocked from 800mhz. To check my system specs check my Xfire profile in my sig.

p1ngpong

Supervisor
Trophies
Website
imgur.com
XP
Country
Croatia
Lee79 said:
Xcalibur said:

Do not know why you think AMD CPU's over heat i have a 4200+ x2 (2.4GHz) overclocked to 5400+ x2 (2.8 GHz) speed and the max temps i get are 43 degrees C. The only thing stopping me overclocking more is my Motherboard my ram is running at 935mhz overclocked from 800mhz. To check my system specs check my Xfire profile in my sig.

This video pretty much convinced me to never buy a AMD CPU ever again.

Lee79

Hyper...Active...Team Fortress 2 Addict
Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
p1ngpong said:
Lee79 said:
Xcalibur said:

This video pretty much convinced me to never buy a AMD CPU ever again.
Yeah but that is the old AMD single core CPU the Pentium 4 Prescott of that time was even hotter then that. The new X2 brisbane cores are good value for the money if you can overclock it with good DDR2 RAM.

gov78

Ha made you Look
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
sleep.gif
can we stay on topic please... Okay like i said im getting a E5200 2mb cache 2.5GHz Processor but need help finding a PCIe 16x 2.0 Motherbaord (i dont need a nvidia chipset no more)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: Firefox users be like "look at what they have to do to mimic a fraction of our power."