Need some beta testers for an app I'm making

Discussion in 'Computer Programming, Emulation, and Game Modding' started by Costello, Oct 5, 2013.

1. Costello
    OP

Costello Headmaster

Administrator
    Oct 24, 2002
    hi guys,

I'm making an open source tool for Windows (it's got nothing to do with video games I'm afraid, lol)
    Here is the website if you want to find out what it is: http://www.appmigrate.com/

In short, it's a tool that backs up the settings of applications installed on your system (eg. Chrome, Skype, VLC, potentially all windows apps). You can them transfer the backups to another computer and import them. It's useful when you buy a new computer and need to migrate all your settings. Or when you want to share your app settings to someone. I'm thinking for example ImgBurn settings for properly burning DVDs or whatnot (wink wink Devin).

Currently it only supports 20ish applications, see the full list here: http://www.appmigrate.com/appdb but it's going to grow in the next few days as I'll be adding more apps, and there will also be user contributions once it goes public.

If you want to help me beta test it, it's simple, just reply to this thread and I'll send you the link to the latest beta. You can just try it, if you find any problems or bug just report them to me. If you don't find anything wrong, you're all good (you can leave a message saying that it worked fine for you).

Thanks Devin for helping with the first 5 beta versions :) And for submitting some apps in the app database.

TyBlood13, DinohScene and Devin like this.
  2. pasc

pasc GBATemps official GBA Freak

Sep 9, 2006
    Gambia, The
    Germany
    sadly I use only portable applications so I cannot test it, sorry.

3. Costello
    OP

Costello Headmaster

Administrator
    Oct 24, 2002
    yeah, the tool is pointless for people who use portable applications indeed :)
    those are easier to transfer, also.

4. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    Man, this would have been extremely helpful when I got my new laptop yesterday! Lol. But I'll download it and give it a try, seems quite useful indeed.

5. DinohScene

DinohScene Capture the Dino

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    Why not make it that it'll sync settings in real time?
    Every time you make an adjustment, the application will update the saved settings.

That way you can just transfer it to another PC (if you own multiple) and update those settings with the updated backup of the app.

Ofcourse you'll have to run the program in the background all the time, but it could be extremely useful.

3bbb7 likes this.
  6. The Milkman

The Milkman GBATemp's Official Asshat Milkman

Jan 12, 2011
    United States
    Throwing milk at the bitches!
    I'll give it a shot.

7. 3bbb7

3bbb7 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 28, 2012
    United States
    dropbox for application settings, i like it.

but maybe with an option to set it so it doesnt automatically sync settings/requires a password to sync the settings or something to prevent unwanted changes on a computer that becomes infected or someone who has access to the computer changes things

DinohScene likes this.
  8. DinohScene

DinohScene Capture the Dino

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    ^ I second that yes.
    Or a pop up asking if you want to import the changed settings.