mpg187

OP
Trophies
Website
operation420.net
XP
Country
Canada
I think I broke my Hitachi drive. When I tried to run mode_b on it it didn't work, when I tried to go on the Xbox when I push the eject button (on the console itself or the dashboard) it says "Opening" and keeps saying that until I press it again then it says "Closing" and the drive doesn't open or close.

I don't know the keys of the drive because it broke before I could connect it to a computer.

Jiggah

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
If you don't have the keys, it's useless to try to get a new drive. If you had the keys, you could have simply replaced it by spoofing the key onto another drive (any drive as far as I remember i.e. Benq, Lite-On, etc.).

Jiggah

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Why not try to find the manual eject button the drive and put it into mode b that way? Every drive even those on the 360 should have a manual eject button. I'm not sure where it is on the HItachi, but I know the Lite-On has one.

Tanas

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
The only way to repair it is to find someone who can remove the tsop from the drive and then read it using a programmer, they should be able to get the drive key for you that way, it wont be cheap though probably around $50 - $60, but if youre unable to find some who can do that for you then your 360 is a door stop i'm afraid.

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
You could try running Gentoo on it via the Xell kernel using the JTAG hack.

IIRC, there's a way to retrieve all the 360's keys from there.

Don't ask me more than this, as I haven't tried this for myself nor I remember where I read these things (here and there, probably)
tongue.gif

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
raulpica is correct about the new homebrew hacks being able to grab keys. If you have already done the August the 11th update or anything afterwards though you are out of luck.

You can use any drive, just remember that if it is not the same drive you will need to spoof your replacement drive (jungleflasher and the like have this sort of functionality built into them these days at "just simple one extra step" ease of use level).

mpg187

OP
Trophies
Website
operation420.net
XP
Country
Canada
Is there a way to tell if the update has been applied, I never updated but I got it used (the listing said new, so maybe he never used it).

Even so, don't you need a parallel port adapter and advanced electronic skills to do this?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Go to system settings, console settings, console info.

If you see a number like 8498 (probably as 2.0.8498.0) you are out of luck, it is has a 7 in there as the first number you are good to go.
Alas mine got updated when I was playing swap hard drives at the weekend so it looks like I will finally have to fix my rrod 360 that I was given.
Simpler option is if it is truly new then the NXE dashboard may not be there (it started to come shipped with the newest ones so I can not say for certain) but the the above way is open to everyone anyhow.

Advanced electronics skills: you are only following a guide but yes you will need some form of adapter (USB ones exist but will cost you a fair bit to make).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    NinStar @ NinStar: :whip: