Hacking Need Help

RandomUser

Rosalina in Plush Form
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, most nowadays come pre-formatted to FAT32 or sometimes not formatted. Maybe before FAT32 became popular you'd have some preformatted to FAT16, but that was well before the Wii's time. And regardless of what it comes formatted as out the box, the size has literally zero relevance to what a card can or cannot support in terms of file system.
Okay, so they are still manufacturing 2GB SD card and having SDHC on them, this I did not know, all of my 2GB SD cards were before the SDHC era, so they were all preformatted as FAT16. Welp, I guess I learned something new today:). However I am not flat out wrong as you stated, but not 100% correct. That is so bizarre to find an unformatted SD card, I have not ever encountered an SD card that I bought to be unformatted. Putting software and/or hacks aside, how can a camera like mine supports SDHC and no SDXC support, being that it was manufactured long before SDXC even came out, by simply formatting an SDXC card to FAT32, and lo and behold, able to use SDXC card to the fullest size? Much the same could be said for 3DS, as it doesn't support SDXC, and yet it's possible to use SDXC to the max size by simply reformatting it from extFAT to FAT32?

Kafluke

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For some reason, no hack I've tried worked.

Bathaxx and Return of the Jodi both say "no sd card detected" and freeze my console
Smash Stack won't even load the custom stage. I'm assuming I need a save? Also, apparently, no sd card i have works with smash bros, even though they're all 2gb sd cards. What's wrong here?
Let me ask you this question, are you able to copy the hacked save over the vWii. If you can copy the hacked save then the card works. After that you run the exploit from vwii memory and the card really isn't in play at that point so if you can perform that step then we shouldn't be talking about the SD card. Isn't that correct @CJB100?

CJB100

Programmer, Media Producer, Hardware Repair
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Let me ask you this question, are you able to copy the hacked save over the vWii. If you can copy the hacked save then the card works. After that you run the exploit from vwii memory and the card really isn't in play at that point so if you can perform that step then we shouldn't be talking about the SD card. Isn't that correct @CJB100?

Nope because he has to launch the Hackmii Installer from the SD Card as boot.elf at the root. This is his issue, the exploit currently only works with games that natively support SD, not SDHC or SDXC. So, even though you can copy over the hacked save file, even if you have SDHC, the game then performs the exploit and since all the exploit games only support regular SD, the exploit runs and acts as if there is no card inserted.

Reactions: Kafluke

CJB100

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, so they are still manufacturing 2GB SD card and having SDHC on them, this I did not know, all of my 2GB SD cards were before the SDHC era, so they were all preformatted as FAT16. Welp, I guess I learned something new today:). However I am not flat out wrong as you stated, but not 100% correct. That is so bizarre to find an unformatted SD card, I have not ever encountered an SD card that I bought to be unformatted. Putting software and/or hacks aside, how can a camera like mine supports SDHC and no SDXC support, being that it was manufactured long before SDXC even came out, by simply formatting an SDXC card to FAT32, and lo and behold, able to use SDXC card to the fullest size? Much the same could be said for 3DS, as it doesn't support SDXC, and yet it's possible to use SDXC to the max size by simply reformatting it from extFAT to FAT32?

You are seriously confusing me..

I never said anything about the software side of things aside from the exploitable games don't support SDHC. Read my previous response below.

I guess manufactures just don't care because HC and XC cards are fully backwards and forwards compatible with each other on a hardware level. But that doesn't matter for hacking purposes because we don't have software backwards and forwards compatibility until after you hack your system,

This is why your camera or the 3DS or the Wii U can support SDXC even though they were only built with SDHC in mind, and why the vWii can access an SDHC and SDXC cards even though the Wii was only built with SD in mind.

Hardware wise, all SD cards, regardless of type, are typically compatible with all SD slots. It is in the software that people will have issues. Your camera and the 3DS was only built with SDHC in mind, so on the software side, it doesn't support exFAT, which can be used for storage devices where files up to 2 TB in size can be stored. It only supports the FAT32 file system, which can hold files up to 4GB in size. Similarly, these games only support original SD Cards, but they can support FAT16 or FAT32 because both of those file systems were relevant at the time of the Wii's release. That is why I am saying you are wrong. Yes, way back in the early days of 256MB cards, you had cards preformatted to FAT16, but that is literally only because it was the only file system out, and it was quickly replaced by FAT32, which was in all honesty pretty quickly supplanted by exFAT as well.

The card has nothing to do with the file system. The Card's size is a hardware limit. The filesystem is all software. Think about it, you can still format a 2 GB or smaller regular SD Card to FAT16, FAT32 or exFAT. The only thing that changes is that older devices definitely can't utilize any card with an exFAT file system, and anything before the 2000's is usually only going to support FAT16.

The only thing that limits a storage device is the type of hardware used and the file system, but these two items are not mutually exclusive. Any storage device can have any file system, there isn't a "proper file system" depending on the hardware used. The file system is a software limit, it has literally zero to do with the size of the device. You could format an SD Card to the NTFS or WBFS filesystems if you wanted. The only reason it isnt recommended is because any device that uses SD Cards are looking for only up to three different kinds of filesystem: FAT16, FAT32 and exFAT. If the device in question doesn't find the filesystem it expects, it will throw an error and either act as if nothing is present (which is what most games on the Wii do) or it will respond by asking you to format your storage device.

Last edited by CJB100,

blaze30

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Would I be able to shrink the size of a bigger SD card and have it work? like a 16gb Sandisk to a 2 gb, etc?

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Would I be able to shrink the size of a bigger SD card and have it work? like a 16gb Sandisk to a 2 gb, etc?
No people have already told you that you can't do that and yet you ask again read and then read again all previous comments as you keep asking questions that have already been answered in the thread.

RandomUser

Rosalina in Plush Form
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You are seriously confusing me..

I never said anything about the software side of things aside from the exploitable games don't support SDHC. Read my previous response below.

This is why your camera or the 3DS or the Wii U can support SDXC even though they were only built with SDHC in mind, and why the vWii can access an SDHC and SDXC cards even though the Wii was only built with SD in mind.

Hardware wise, all SD cards, regardless of type, are typically compatible with all SD slots. It is in the software that people will have issues. Your camera and the 3DS was only built with SDHC in mind, so on the software side, it doesn't support exFAT, which can be used for storage devices where files up to 2 TB in size can be stored. It only supports the FAT32 file system, which can hold files up to 4GB in size. Similarly, these games only support original SD Cards, but they can support FAT16 or FAT32 because both of those file systems were relevant at the time of the Wii's release. That is why I am saying you are wrong. Yes, way back in the early days of 256MB cards, you had cards preformatted to FAT16, but that is literally only because it was the only file system out, and it was quickly replaced by FAT32, which was in all honesty pretty quickly supplanted by exFAT as well.

The card has nothing to do with the file system. The Card's size is a hardware limit. The filesystem is all software. Think about it, you can still format a 2 GB or smaller regular SD Card to FAT16, FAT32 or exFAT. The only thing that changes is that older devices definitely can't utilize any card with an exFAT file system, and anything before the 2000's is usually only going to support FAT16.

The only thing that limits a storage device is the type of hardware used and the file system, but these two items are not mutually exclusive. Any storage device can have any file system, there isn't a "proper file system" depending on the hardware used. The file system is a software limit, it has literally zero to do with the size of the device. You could format an SD Card to the NTFS or WBFS filesystems if you wanted. The only reason it isn't recommended is because any device that uses SD Cards are looking for only up to three different kinds of filesystem: FAT16, FAT32 and exFAT. If the device in question doesn't find the filesystem it expects, it will throw an error and either act as if nothing is present (which is what most games on the Wii do) or it will respond by asking you to format your storage device.

What's there to be confused? Games are software you know? Thank you for explaining why devices works with all SD cards. I know I am right about 2GB standard SD has been preformatted as FAT16 and always will be. Then you stated "you had cards preformatted to FAT16, but that is literally only because it was the only file system out" and that is just flat out wrong. FAT32 filesystem existed long before the Wii was even in existence, so why was that not being used even on 256MB card, when FAT32 existed then? The manufacturer of reader/writers should have straight up supported the FAT32 and FAT16 from the start. That is why I know I am right.
Here is a link in it will back up what I have stated time and time again.

CJB100

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
now im confused. this list says it will work.

http://www.wiibrew.org/wiki/SD/SDHC_Card_Compatibility_Tests

PS: You really re coming across as very dickish.

Holy FUCK dude. -headdesk- My patience has officially run out.

What's there to be confused? Games are software you know? Thank you for explaining why devices works with all SD cards. I know I am right about 2GB standard SD has been preformatted as FAT16 and always will be. Then you stated "you had cards preformatted to FAT16, but that is literally only because it was the only file system out" and that is just flat out wrong. FAT32 filesystem existed long before the Wii was even in existence, so why was that not being used even on 256MB card, when FAT32 existed then? The manufacturer of reader/writers should have straight up supported the FAT32 and FAT16 from the start. That is why I know I am right.
Here is a link in it will back up what I have stated time and time again.

I love how you post an article that is literally FILLED to the brim with non-factual info. It says SDXC can't be used by devices which only support SD or SDHC. You just said yourself that SDXC cards can work with Wii U, vWii, 3DS, your camera and likely the original Wii as well.

Reporting this thread, it needs to be closed.

RandomUser

Rosalina in Plush Form
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I love how you post an article that is literally FILLED to the brim with non-factual info. It says SDXC can't be used by devices which only support SD or SDHC. You just said yourself that SDXC cards can work with Wii U, vWii, 3DS, your camera and likely the original Wii as well.
You knew which part of the article I was pointing out at, you didn't need to read the whole thing. But since you did, I think this article is geared for the average consumer, and they wouldn't have a clue what file system is or how to change it, so it was easier for them to just state it doesn't work. You and I are above the average consumer. So far about the default filesystem has been accurate, every SD cards, every SDHC, and every, SDXC cards I have bought was formatted exactly as the article as stated and the article is from one of many SD manufacturer.
There is some inaccurate info but here is another link again confirms what the previous article stated about default format for Standard SD card.

Reactions: CJB100

CJB100

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You knew which part of the article I was pointing out at, you didn't need to read the whole thing. But since you did, I think this article is geared for the average consumer, and they wouldn't have a clue what file system is or how to change it, so it was easier for them to just state it doesn't work. You and I are above the average consumer. So far about the default filesystem has been accurate, every SD cards, every SDHC, and every, SDXC cards I have bought was formatted exactly as the article as stated and the article is from one of many SD manufacturer.
There is some inaccurate info but here is another link again confirms what the previous article stated about default format for Standard SD card.

Yes, it appears you were right about original SD being formatted primarily in FAT16, I looked up a couple places too. :P lol. Still, it doesn't mean original SD's need FAT16 to work.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fv6vlP2qSyo