Hacking Need help with USBLoaderGX

skrewd

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, I've been trying to complete a Wii hack for over a year now because my disk reader broke. I've been troubleshooting and finding workarounds every single time I attempt a new step. The only thing left I have to do is get. my. USB loader. working. For some reason, I can't for the life of me get it to just work. What pisses me off the most is that I log onto sites like these and people say "oh I have this problem" and they get a solution and they reply "oh thanks, everything works perfectly forever now!" so it seems like only my Wii is the one that won't function when I follow all of the proper steps.
I'm at a loss here and I've only caused more problems for myself. I hope this can be an open thread for people who have my same issues to find lasting solutions; not ones that end in another problem. Especially @Cyan - I really hope you can help me out here. I just wanna play my games man, and I haven't been able to for a year.

Currently, I'm running slot 249 cIOS v10 (rev52) base 56.
Here's everything I can think of that's been going on in my most recent attempts:

1) Attempting to rip Wii games to my USB - doesn't work
I had a FAT32 formatted USB stick plugged in the proper slot into the back of a Wii with a working disk reader. I was trying to use USBLoaderGX to install the games to the USB. Only once did the process work with Wii Sports, and even then I couldn't get it to play. However, I used d2X cIOS installer to install v8 cIOS into slot 249 or whatever, following tutorials from Cyan on this site. That worked, but it didn't let me rip any other games, it would get stuck on 0.00% requiring a console restart. So I cut my losses and moved on, trying to find clean ISO rips online, or using CleanRip. This is the least of my concerns because I can probably find ISOs online. I just wanted to rip my game discs because I wanted to ensure a clean rip and use my discs one last time.

2) Trying to play installed Wii ISOs - works once in a blue moon
At this point, I have found a few clean Wii ISOs online. I am using Wii Backup Manager build 78 on a Windows computer at my campus library to transfer the games to the USB. This process worked, and when I booted USBLoaderGX the games showed up! Elated, I pressed start but was met with a black screen on all of them. I figured this was an issue with my cIOS, so I installed d2X cIOS v10 (rev 52) base 56 and loaded Wii Sports Resort. It was a SUCCESS! After playing a bit, I restarted my console and tried another game. Blackscreen. I tried Wii Sports Resort again. Blackscreen. Tried installing d2X cIOS v10-alt (rev53) base 56 and still got blackscreens. I went back to cIOS v10 (rev52) base 56.

3) Trouble mounting USB and forced console restarts
After all the shenanigans with facing blackscreens and restarting and then restarting when USBLoaderGX wouldn't load, I ended up SOMEHOW making my USB unreadable by both my Wii and my computer. I must have bricked it somehow, so I'm going to try and reinstall USBLoaderGX clean on my SD and get another USB drive. In the meantime I have a backup but I want to make sure this doesn't happen again.

Overall, I just want to ensure that my games will load reliably, and if they don't, I want to know (or be able to find out) exactly what is wrong. I know that somewhere, in the millions of lines of code, something doesn't match up, and I need to find it and fix it.

TL;DR Help I can't get USBLoaderGX to reliably run games even though I'm using updated cIOS and Wii Backup Manager.

skrewd

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, update! I tried my other clean USB using Wii Backup Manager and some downloaded ISOs and it worked! (The Mario Galaxy CleanRip ISO I tried to combine didn't work though.) I don't think I need to do anything else, but I'll post in this thread if I run into any more problems that I cant solve online.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9PnFJMnYT0