Need help with screen resolution setting...

Discussion in 'Computer Software and Operating Systems' started by GeekyGuy, Aug 16, 2008.

Aug 16, 2008
  1. GeekyGuy
    OP

Global Moderator GeekyGuy Professional loafer

United States
    Hey guys,

I just installed Vice City on my PC, and when loading it, the picture was off-center. Before playing, I wanted to change the display settings, but when I tried to, it froze up. I had to end task on the program several times. I tried 800 by 600 and 1024 by 768 (both on 16 and 32), but none of the settings I tried to change to seemed to work. Am I perhaps not giving the game enough time to change the settings? I waited each time for about two to three minutes, but nothing seemed to happen.

Thanks

2. Linkiboy

Member Linkiboy GBAtemp Testing Area

United States
    The picture being off center sounds like a driver issue... update drivers?

3. GeekyGuy
    OP

Global Moderator GeekyGuy Professional loafer

United States
    Hmm...driver update scare kitty. [​IMG]

Went to the ATI site (I'm using a Radeon Xpress 200) to check out what all is entailed in updating the card's driver, and it makes me a bit uncomfortable. I'm not that savvy and I'm afraid I might screw something up beyond my ability to repair.

EDIT: Okay, I think I figured this out on my own. I ran a search using an insanely long description: "when installing gta vice city pc the picture is off center," which turned up some things of interest. Long story short, I had to change the run compatibility in Properties to make the game run as if it was running in Windows 98. Makes sense, since it's such an old game.

The picture was still off center upon initial load, but I was then able to change the screen resolution in-game, which centered the picture.

Thanks anyway.