NEED help with PSP 3004 screen problem

Discussion in 'PSP - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by MRsonic699, Jul 27, 2014.

1. MRsonic699
    OP

MRsonic699 GBAtemp Regular

Jun 30, 2011
    Brasov, Romania
    So today, while playing wipeout, my PSP screen just started whitening suddely and quickly looked washed out. Colors are messed up, so is the contrast, rows of lines on the screen, looks washed out and there's some kind of light vignette around the screen too. I opened it and I can't find the problem at the ribbon cables. Can someone help me out? I love my PSP just as much as the next guy and I REALLY want to fix it.

Here are some photo examples of the screen and a pic of my PSP opened.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    It definitely does look like a problem with the ribbon cable or its connector, I don't *think* the screen itself is borked.

3. MRsonic699
    OP

Jun 30, 2011
    Brasov, Romania
    I have no idea, weird thing is how it sometimes got worse or slightly better as I was using it?! I have no idea what's it related to. It also seems I slightly flicker somehow. I tried cleaning everything I could with isoprophylic alcohol, by the way.
    Also, look how weird and bad the contrast is.
    [​IMG]

4. MRsonic699
    OP

Jun 30, 2011
    Brasov, Romania
    And often when I turn it on, the screen randomly twitches between being better and worse. I'm sure it can be fixed, I just don't know what to do.

5. zeello

zeello The reason we can't have nice things.

Apr 15, 2013
    United States
    I thought these are symptoms of an LCD screen that is failing. Maybe nothing is wrong with your PSP and the screen is simply nearing the end of its life. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

6. MRsonic699
    OP

Jun 30, 2011
    Brasov, Romania
    I would say so too, but thing is, when I booted it up yesterday, the screen looked perfectly right for like 4 seconds and then suddenly went awful again. It just doesn't make sense, something is not right.

7. zeello

Apr 15, 2013
    United States
    Maybe that's normal behavior for an old screen.

actually this reminds me of the problem I had with my dsi. The screen starts out normal when you power it on but gradually becomes more faded and washed out until a minute or two later when it just gives out, or an error message would suddenly appear. I never figured out what had caused it, and sttangely enough replacing the screen did not help. But the problem had never started until after I dismantled the system and poked around a lot.

8. MRsonic699
    OP

Jun 30, 2011
    Brasov, Romania
    I see. I haven't opened my PSP before this problem starting. As I said before, this problem started happening WHILE I was using my PSP on a casual day. Maybe it's because I shook it since I was pressing buttons harder while playing Project Diva on Extreme difficulty? Something might've loosened, and that's what I'm searching for right now, but I can't find it...

9. zeello

Apr 15, 2013
    United States
    maybe replace the screen to see whether it has the same problem . That would at least there you whether the screen isd at fault, or something else. I'd hate to make you waste money on a screen only to find it doesn't fix the problem, but its probably something I would do simply because I'd be immensely curious to know what the problem is.

I checked DX.com a few minutes ago, simce my screen is broken, they have four different listings for psp3000 screens. So the question is which one to get. I'm leaning toward the more expensive one. (Sharp, 19.99)

10. MRsonic699
    OP

Jun 30, 2011
    Brasov, Romania
    Hm. I think I'll try and find a more specific cause for this problem or perhaps someone else already knows. I won't go replacing just yet, but thank you.

11. kristianity77

kristianity77 GBATemp old fogey

Jul 10, 2003
    Bewdley, UK
    Dont you know anyone else with a PSP3000? If so, just swap the LCD over, that will tell you all you need to know. Failing that, you need to take it apart and check all the connections are secure. Either way, if checking the connections doesn't solve it, your first port of call is going to be changing the LCD anyway.

Or, buy yourself a cheapy tv out cable, and see if the problem persists on your TV screen. If it does, then you know its a hardware issue with your PSP. If the picture is fine, you can be almost sure your PSP screen is knackered. These will set you back a couple of quid on ebay.

12. MRsonic699
    OP

Jun 30, 2011
    Brasov, Romania
    I just thought it could be another part that I don't know of, and sadly I don't have any friends with a PSP3000, because I just moved to a different country, so I have none.

Welp.

13. kristianity77

Jul 10, 2003
    Bewdley, UK
    Then the first thing I'd try is a cheap TV out cable and work from there.

14. MRsonic699
    OP

Jun 30, 2011
    Brasov, Romania
    I have one. It looks perfect. It's something technical about how the screen gets powered/managed or really though, just the screen/connectors. I guess I have no choice.

15. kristianity77

Jul 10, 2003
    Bewdley, UK
    If the picture is perfect through TV out then I don't think you have any choice but to replace the LCD screen as it all points to that being on its way out in all honesty. The way I see it, if you replace the LCD screen and it still doesn't work, then you pretty much have a useless PSP anyway unless you REALLY know what your doing to fix it. So bottom line is you'd need to go out and get a new one. So for the sake of £20, its the first thing I'd try.

16. MRsonic699
    OP

Jun 30, 2011
    Brasov, Romania
    Fair enough, I'll try sometime later.