Lemiwinks

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hey all, wondering if anyone can help.
I have a switch that I hacked quite a while ago but can't remember exactly what I did. Now I'm curious if I should be doing anything else to it (to be up to date/prevebt bricking ect)

I've recently updated to 12.1.0/AMS M.19.5/S
The S at the end tells me in using sysnand and have been using this to play NSPs from tinfoil shops. I try to always keep my switch in standby mode when not in use but when I do need to turn off and on again, I have auto RCM enabled so need to force a payload using PC.
I force the fusee payload which boots me right into atmosphere.

does everything above sound like I've done this right and safe or do I need to change/add some more things? Do I need emunand or is it too late for this now as I've updated since first modding?

I've been playing games no problem but after seeing lots of posts about emunand, sysnand ect I'm getting confused and want to make sure my setup is right

Thank you

fatherjack

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Lemiwinks,
posts like this sometimes attract a torrent of well intentioned "why dont you..." and "you should really do..." replies.
If you got enough space and everything you want plays okay then stay as you are.
if it aint broke.....
:)

Reactions: Lemiwinks

The_Chaotician

Hoist the Colours!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
@fatherjack is spot on wit their response.

All i would add is that your sysnand is now 'dirty'. this means it has tickets from NSPs that havent come from a cart or the eShop installed on it. If you try and go online, it will likely be banned.

if you create an emunand, it will simply make a copy of your current sysnand. If you want to go online, you'll need to do so with a clean sysnand to avoid a ban. the point of an emunand is to have a partition that NEVER goes online (so doesnt matter if its dirty or not).

Hope this helps :)

Edit: when i say online, i specifically mean connecting to nintendos servers. obviously you'll need a way to block them if youre using homebrew that needs an intenet connection to function.

Last edited by The_Chaotician,

Spider_Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
to be fair it doesnt matter really if you use sysnand or emunand if your installing trusted files, as the console can be wiped clean and install OFW if you intend to sell it in the future.

i dont connect my console to nintendo servers or bother going online, i only have it connected (dns to block nintendo servers) to have ftp running in the background for making cheats.

you can grab from the homebrew store AIO updater, it will update your cfw and bootloaders as/when new updates come out and you can download OFW and install via daybrake (another app you can get off the homebrew store).

Lemiwinks

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you guys for a fast response!
okay understand more now regarding sysnand and emunand.
Good news is I don't plan on going online with any games. The only online functionality I plan to use is tinfoil shops. So am I best to set up an emunand to continue or will it have no benefit now anyway?
I have done the dns trick to prevent connecting to Nintendo if that helps

Spider_Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Good news is I don't plan on going online with any games. The only online functionality I plan to use is tinfoil shops. So am I best to set up an emunand to continue or will it have no benefit now anyway?
i dont, i guess you need to consider cost, to have emunand you need to have a decent sized sd card for that, then your games.

Lemiwinks

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
i dont, i guess you need to consider cost, to have emunand you need to have a decent sized sd card for that, then your games.
I have a 128gb card right now which does fit a fair few games on. As long as I can get a couple of games on at one time I would be happy.

The_Chaotician

Hoist the Colours!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Don't think you need emunand at this stage. Its just going to waste space on your sd seeing as you use your sysnand for everything an emunand would do for you.

By dns trick, i assume you mean 90 dns. if not, i would recommend reading up on that as well as the atmosphere dns_mitm feature and exosphere. those 3 as well as flight mode give you 4 layers of protection against accidnetly connecting to nintendo servers.

I use all of these feautures on my emunand and have done for some time, without an online ban,

Lemiwinks

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Don't think you need emunand at this stage. Its just going to waste space on your sd seeing as you use your sysnand for everything an emunand would do for you.

By dns trick, i assume you mean 90 dns. if not, i would recommend reading up on that as well as the atmosphere dns_mitm feature and exosphere. those 3 as well as flight mode give you 4 layers of protection against accidnetly connecting to nintendo servers.

I use all of these feautures on my emunand and have done for some time, without an online ban,
Brilliant thank you. I have no issues with my current set up but the more i read on here the more it gets me thinking. Ill leave it as is for now.
Yes i meant the 90dns is what i have done so far. I will try and look into dns_mitm and exosphere now too for more protection.

Thank you again for all your help :)

The_Chaotician

Hoist the Colours!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Brilliant thank you. I have no issues with my current set up but the more i read on here the more it gets me thinking. Ill leave it as is for now.
Yes i meant the 90dns is what i have done so far. I will try and look into dns_mitm and exosphere now too for more protection.

Thank you again for all your help :)
Any time dude. This shit can be a bit of a minefield especially when a lot of the folks that know what they are doing have their own opinions on what works well and what doesnt.

You can find more info on dns_mitm here. An exosphere.ini template can be found here.

@mods - Both of these links point to the atmosphere github, please remove if not allowed.

Spider_Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a 128gb card right now which does fit a fair few games on. As long as I can get a couple of games on at one time I would be happy.
its not a bad size but last i checked, emunand requires at least what ever current storage you have as your nand.

youll fit maybe 5 AAA titles maybe more, personally I would look for at least 500GB, im looking to up my sd to 1TB

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Hammer the threads