Hardware Need help troubleshooting a 3.60 Enso PSV2000- plugging USB crashes it+random shutdowns

Berkiel

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hello GBATemp, first let me introduce myself as this is my first post. Jump to the "!!!!!!" to get directly to my problem, thanks!

I've recently fallen in love with the Vita, thanks to the awesome abilities the community around it has unlocked for everyone to enjoy, and the great piece of hardware it is.
I used to have a PsP on CFW (still got it but the battery died years ago) and I had this itch to get a "new" handheld, the Vita came naturally.
I've found a cheap PSV1000 to hack it, followed all the tutorials around, join the Vita reddits and discord servers, everything went well, used it on 3.68 Henkaku for a week installing plugins and everything, finally ended up downgrading to 3.60 once I got confident enough.

And I actually enjoyed doing this, so when I kept receiving notifications for second hand Vitas around me I asked a gamer friend if he were interested in getting one, he was, skipping forward second PSV1000 is hacked, no problems, bought the same SD card and sd2vita as everything went well before.

I ended up doing a third one for another friend, a PSV1000 again, they all came with different firmwares but this one had never been connected and was the first I wouldn't have to downgrade, also it had no modem, that's it for the differences.
I never managed to delete the previous account without the password so I hacked it, downgraded it and used simple account switcher on it. I also had a problem with a wrong displayed amount of free space on the SD card (in content manager or vitashell), I tried preloading a 256 GB full with games to gain time (on PC with a USB adapter), ended up having to start over the transfers multiple times and always had the issue.
Managed to get everything working but only after doing the transfers with vitashell but I thought I'd try again directly in the PC given the opportunity, it's in the field of possibilities that I could have screwed up a folder or something after all.

Now time goes by, another mate would want one but I was not finding decent Vitas until a PSV2000 at 70€ pops up near my home, I check it, it's in 3.70 but I know the next hack should come in about a month so I bargain it at 50€. Found another PSV2000 in pristine condition with the box and everything (a first) for 120€ but 3.70 again so I bargain it to 100€. I'm in no rush as the hack isn't available yet so I format them both, add an account, get ape quest demo and direction the closest drawer until theFlow finally releases the long awaited hack!!

So, so far I've successfully done 3 psv1000, the 3rd one which didn't need a downgrade ended up taking me the most time with the sd problems.

Once the hack hits, I apply it to both 2000s, took some tinkering on the first and a couple minutes on the second one. I'm a bit surprised too because the consoles I had turn off before putting in the drawer had their batteries drained, gotta admit I'm much less confident around those slims that I was with the Oled ones.

I head over amazon to get more SDs, the same ones as before, Samsung 256 GB EVO+ from same seller and 2 more sd2vita's, same seller too, along with NetDot Magnetic Series Micro USB cables x3 in a package because one of the slims has a very bad cable (I hate Micro USB, always have, tears down so fast, joke of a standard, pure crap, a tech to forget, I could go on).

A few days later I have received everything and thanks for reading so far.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've got 2 PSV2000's running Enso 3.60 ready to have their sd2vita installed with a Samsung EVO+ 256GB each, the hacked was installed a couple days before getting the SDs. One of the Vita was turned off after having been charged with NetDot Magnetic cables and the other just in sleep mode, the micro usb heads are left in the plugs as they're intended to. The one that was in sleep mode has blinking orange light, never had Slims before but I saw this mentioned online earlier so I'm very surprised it is drained but I plug it in and grab the other one that was completely off, turn it on, no problem but it's the other one I want to install the sd in first as it is for a mate and this one I intend to keep as it's in very good state compared with my scratched Oled.

I already had backed up my ux0 folders and put the one I needed in the 1st sd card . Once the Vita has charged for a while, I turn it on, I'm not sure at this point anymore, but I think it did turn off when I unplugged it. I proceed to inserting the sd2vita, change mouting point and reboot, I check in VitaShell, 238 GB as in windows (normal size for those cards). Next I put my tai folder from ux0 to ur0, I go to settings, reload TaiHen and I check in Auto Plugin if I'm cool, I am, I install a few more plugins, reboot the Vita and turn it off to finally add content to the card.

I go full on data transfer mode, app folder, addcont folder, pspemu folder, the SD card shows 80 free GB of storage in windows, I eject it, to the Vita, which doesn't take a solid 2-3 min rebuilding db as it should but only a few secs. I go to VitaShell and the card shows only a few GB left.
In content manager it only detects data in psp, and only the psx games. And at the bottom of the screen I can see 160GB of data listed as "other". I've had this issue before on my 3rd Vita but I thought I hadn't been careful enough, so now Idk wtf I did wrong and starts losing faith in installing SD cards.
I've deleted a few Vita game folders, I see the "other" size reduce accordingly in the manager. I check the card in the PC, it shows as it should, 80GB+ of free space.
I would like to understand what causes this, so I put the SD back to the vita, I try various things like DB reconstruct after booting in recovery, reloading plugins, nothing.
I end up manually deleting all the folders I had added using vitashell, I still have like 60GB listed in "other". I try looking at Henkaku settings and unlink the card then reboot and after the DB reconstruct at boot, I check VitaShell, my SD card is back to showing almost empty, like before I added games in it.
I try again making a big transfer using the usb adapter, doing only Vita games, same thing happens, 180GB in "other", no game showing, so I don't believe I'll keep doing this with an adapter from now on, still in Vitashell I try to unmount ux0: and remount it
just after and some magic happened I got 60GB back, still have 60GB read as "other" in the manager...
Time to format the card, do the zzblank img thing again, this time I'll do it all school with VitaShell all the way, so here I am, picking up the files I want to, must have lost 20 hrs to that by now, launch the transfer via usb Vitashell, yay 5MB/s instead of 30, time to get some sleep, confident it'll be alright once the 5hrs for 100GB of data transfer is over.
And no, that's not Ok, at this point the Vita has turned off several time on its own, having to force start it and then it asks for date and time, hard to put back in the timeline, as I've been manipulating, plugging in and out the cable and the card, exactly when/why that happened .
So transfer is over, the console is plugged in I check it like this, i have the "other" problem again, a first using Vitashell, I'm puzzled, then I unplug the console, it turns off, asks for date and time again at reboot, so I check the port again, I just have time to hear the windows USB sound before it turns off again.
I check another cable, same thing, I check plugging the vita to my ps4, same thing.

I can turn on the console once it's plugged, but it'll turn off at some point, if I unplug it it turns off. I think the very first times it happened I got the orange blinking light and had to recharge a while, but after a few minutes it was able to start and the battery was showing its previous state, almost full.

Between the SD card problem and this usb problem I don't know what to think, and there are new variables, first time with slims, first time with magnetic cables, my 2nd PSV2000 that hasn't sd2vita installed yet has asked me a couple time for date and time, I've stopped using the magnetic cable in case that's it but this Vita didn't turn off randomly, I've updated plugins with autoplugins, installed a game with pkgj, no sudden errors or shutdown.

I need help, am exhausted with this, I've watched a teardown video and opened up the problematic Vita, I think it's been opened before, it doesn't show signs of internal damage though but it was very dusty for such a confined space. The battery has no leakage but it looks to have a couple very tiny dents, might be from the console body when it's assembled, Idk, it was my first time opening a vita.

I can deduct stuff and follow tutorials but this is beyond me, do you think a dying battery could do this? It doesn't make sense to me, plus it doesn't lose charge once it goes back on, I'm afraid it could be the usb port, if not the board. Unless it's a problem with the hack itself?

Anyway, I've left the Vita opened up, I don't know if can try to boot it without the back cover plugged in, if I should order a battery right away or reassemble everything and try to format everything. I'd rather avoid opening up my "good" 2000 if I can, I guess trying the other battery would make sense but I'm not convinced at all the battery is the culprit.

Edit: I forgot to add that I tried the SD (after deleting the id.dat and before formatting it once more) in my PSV1000 which despite its old age and scratches works flawlessly, I could see the bubbles but nothing would launch from it. I got an error code I couldn't find the meaning of too at some point while on the slim: c0-13007-1
Also all those SD problems only come second to me, I want to fix the vita itself first. I don't know what the next best thing to do is, if it's doable maybe turn it on while opened up and see if something happens inside when I plug the cable. Or reinstall enso, or format everything, or ....

Last edited by Berkiel,

kaymynd

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For the sd card problems you need to format with 64kb allocation size for sd cards 200gb and up instead of default, for the rebooting issues I'm not sure, you can recheck plugins, maybe one is causing it to crash.

Berkiel

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
For the sd card problems you need to format with 64kb allocation size for sd cards 200gb and up instead of default, for the rebooting issues I'm not sure, you can recheck plugins, maybe one is causing it to crash.
Thanks for the reply, I knew there was something I missed telling, I've tried several settings in my various reformats, also found the part saying it needed 64 kb, but I still got the same problem, the 3 other Vitas I've done are at 128 Kb I believe. I haven't tried booting it without the plugins loaded though, can someone tel me if I can boot the console without the back cover?

kaymynd

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Np, if you're still experiencing memory mismatch isssues after formatting correctly, then I'm afraid the sd card might be fake or corrupted. Try using a 2nd sd card or run test on your sd card to determine if it's legit or fake. And idk if you can boot with back cover off.

Berkiel

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Just got back from work I'll try booting it opened later. Never had to use the tool on the hack.guide to check memory but I downloaded it yesterday and launched the test... which basically fullfills the card first, which takes 6hrs+ on a 256 GB card so I aborted it. Fairly certain this card, like the 5 others before it is good, the PC has no problem with it, only storage manager.

If my vita boots while opened I'll try a few things like disable all plugins to full format if it keeps crashing and if the situation doesn't improve, I think I'll order a new battery.

kaymynd

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just got back from work I'll try booting it opened later. Never had to use the tool on the hack.guide to check memory but I downloaded it yesterday and launched the test... which basically fullfills the card first, which takes 6hrs+ on a 256 GB card so I aborted it. Fairly certain this card, like the 5 others before it is good, the PC has no problem with it, only storage manager.

If my vita boots while opened I'll try a few things like disable all plugins to full format if it keeps crashing and if the situation doesn't improve, I think I'll order a new battery.
Ok sounds good, and if you know the sd card is good then i would suggest deleting some stuff from your sony mem card if i remember correctly that takes up double space in sd2vita, like for example if you copied over stuff from sony mem card to sd2vita sd card then it will show as double the space taken up in ux0, idk why, just delete anything you no longer need from sony mem card to get your space back, keep only essentials like vitashell etc.

Berkiel

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Just walked my dog, haven't done anything yet but what you're saying is very interesting, maybe that's my SD problem all along, sounds very possible, I find some logic in that. I'll keep updated but I probably won't do too much tonight, been a long day!

Reactions: kaymynd

CMDreamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
If you suspect a battery issue, why don't you try the battery of another Vita to test it out?

As for the SD Card, and as stated before, it might be damaged and/or be a fake one. Try fulfilling it with data using Windows Explorer, then extract it, wait for a minute or so, and insert it back, then check if Windows has no issues with it.
You can try with another SD Card of less capacity, just to check if everything goes right.

CMDreamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
If you suspect a battery issue, why don't you try the battery of another Vita to test it out?

As for the SD Card, and as stated before, it might be damaged and/or be a fake one. Try fulfilling it with data using Windows Explorer, then extract it, wait for a minute or so, and insert it back, then check if Windows has no issues with it.
You can try with another SD Card of less capacity, just to check if everything goes right.

Berkiel

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Here's an update:

I've put the top row button piece partly back to avoid touching the power button's underneath with my bare fingers, plugged in the battery and the console did boot alright. 80+% power left, it hasn't lost power at all since yesterday, that is good.

I've "played" around in the interface to see if it woud crash, still good, launched VitaShell and AutoPlugin (the SD card is out btw), everything looks fine so far so time to try plugging it in, a bit tedious to apply sufficient force with the console opened like this and not have it do a half flip with the battery flying across the room (or right in the middle of my monitor) xD BUT it didn't crash, even started charging for a while before I launched Vitashell again. I didn't hear the windows usb sound though, and VitaShell confirms, I pick usb and memory card in the options then push that select button (and hit that subscr...., wait) no windows popup. So USB data doesn't seem to work, not sure if it's a definitive problem or a temporary one that'll fix itself. Because I want it to. I didn't mention that I blew all over the PCBs (no air cans alas) and the holes and slots too (protections were used ;) ), it seemed anormally dirty (double wink), not just dust but particles as big as half a millimeter and brownish, no idea what this poor console might have endured in its previous life,and it probably had to do it all for free!

Ok enough with the gravelous tone :o but it puts me in a good mood, for now, so bare with me! I haven't much more to say anyway, no USB but what about wifi? Yay! wifi/ftp/vitashell the good old triple combo shows me what I want and when I start thinking about making new backups of my partitions, I'm like "wait a minute" what about checking the actual content of the partitions first... Surprise! A wild tai folder has just appeared! No seriously I'd rather have found a hentai one cause Idk WTF this tai folder is doing in my ux0:
Plus it only contains a backup config.txt weirdly formatted without the most important plugin, no refood, no storage manager, no space lines, just shit, I certainly did not type this myself. A wild (again) guess has just (appea..., no) popped in my thought (not plural) box: "maybe this happened when I moved a tai from ux0 to ur0 before backing shit up for the sd2vita install and that single file stayed there until now for some reason" here comes another one: "does it matter?" PffffTtt! Could be :x
So I check that my ur0 tai is a good tai, seems like it to me but I'll double check later, like another day later, a bit tired at this point :toot::wtf: and deleted the evil tai folder that never should have been.

I think that's it for now, I've regained a bit of hope as this post might have shown a tiny whoopsy bit :moogle: I'll probably not do anything more on this console before tomorrow night roughly same time, need some time for myself now :bortz2:

Edit: I lied, I kept fiddling one more hour with the Vita, it turned off!!! just after I posted 1 hour ago, but it was me moving the console around too much with the battery wire a bit too loose :blush::D
But I got the usb to work, tried with an official cable that's so short I had to hold the Vita while I was backing up ux0 .
Then I backed up all the other partitions with ftp. Before doing that I uninstalled nosleep in autoplugin, the console was going to sleep anyway but then needed a full boot, maybe it wasn't everytime but I'm pretty sure it happened several times.
Now the screen turns off on its own (sleep timer) and goes back on instantly everytime, so far. I tried to completely turn it off the normal way (as in without a sudden power loss but with holding power button and power off option), it didn't ask for date/time at boot.
I don't know if I'm out of the woods yet, but I'm more confident than before regarding my next sd2vita attempt! Which I'll do much later today.

Last edited by Berkiel,
Reactions: kaymynd

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @K3Nv2, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzmdrobXH34