Need Help running vWii homebrew on HDD

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by H3adband_67, Jan 28, 2017.

1. H3adband_67
    OP

H3adband_67 Newbie

Newcomer
    Jan 28, 2017
    United States
    Hi, I'm running into issues with using my HDD on my vWii. I followed the Definitive vWii Hacking Guide by CJB100 here- https://gbatemp.net/threads/the-definitive-vwii-hacking-guide.425852/#5
    Ideally, I would like to run Homebrew Apps and all of my .iso's from the HDD. But at the very least I would like the vWii to play backups.

I'm using a Transcend 1 TB StoreJet M3 Military Drop Tested USB 3.0 External Hard Drive (TS1TSJ25M3). I have 2 partitions. The first is approx. 300 GB in FAT32 format with 32K cluster. Second is the remaining memory in NTFS format for personal files.

All homebrew applications run just fine from the SD card. When I try to change settings to USB device in Homebrew Channel, I receive a code dump and have to unplug the Wii U. When I load USB Loader GX from the SD Card, it freezes on Initialize USB device and I have to unplug the Wii U. I would hate to buy another HDD, but I can't see another way out. Please help!

Last edited by H3adband_67, Jan 28, 2017
  2. kidasquid

kidasquid GBAtemp Regular

Nov 23, 2015
    United States
    Try a thumb drive. The positions may be a problem?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. H3adband_67
    OP

H3adband_67 Newbie

Newcomer
    Jan 28, 2017
    United States
    I would use a thumb drive, but it wouldn't be able to hold the amount of backups I have. I may try that just as a test though, to see if my HDD is the issue

4. pedro702

pedro702 GBAtemp Guru

Mar 3, 2014
    Portugal
    does your hdd have a y cable or its own power supply?

5. H3adband_67
    OP

H3adband_67 Newbie

Newcomer
    Jan 28, 2017
    United States
    It uses a Y-Cable. I have the main part plugged into the top USB slot and the other "booster" part plugged into the bottom slot (when the Wii U is on its side)

6. pedro702

pedro702 GBAtemp Guru

Mar 3, 2014
    Portugal
    tryed switching them around? the wiiu is teh oposite of the wii.

7. H3adband_67
    OP

H3adband_67 Newbie

Newcomer
    Jan 28, 2017
    United States
    So I tried a 32GB USB flash drive just to see how it would perform. I removed the SD card and I opened the Homebrew Channel with just the flash drive plugged in (top USB port when Wii U is laying down). All of my apps were there and all work fine (basically just emulators). When I load USB Loader GX, I see my GameCube game in the list only. When I select the option to show Wii games as well, GX freezes and I'm forced to unplug the console. So there is a little progress using a flash drive, but not to my liking. By the way the flash drive is FAT 32. Any suggestions?

8. pedro702

pedro702 GBAtemp Guru

Mar 3, 2014
    Portugal
    flashdrives never had great compat with homebrew in general.

9. H3adband_67
    OP

H3adband_67 Newbie

Newcomer
    Jan 28, 2017
    United States
    I've decided to try running through the entire guide again from scratch (excluding backing up and dumping). I'm also going to completely format my HDD and put the entire thing into FAT32 file system. Also, I'm rewriting cIOS 249-251 with d2x-v10-beta52-vWii rather than d2x-v10-beta53-alt-vWii. I will update with results.

Last edited by H3adband_67, Jan 31, 2017