[Need Help] PC Programming

McHaggis

Fackin' Troller
Trophies
XP
Country
I don't need school to learn, no need to insult me either. Or is that what you all do when you're a bit cornered?
I'm not sure what you mean by cornered. If anything, you're the one being defensive. Also, I wasn't trying to insult you, I was telling you to go read up on DirectX and Visual Basic. "School yourself" is a synonymous phrase for "Learn".

It's not absurd at all. If you could point me, to what VB (not .NET/ C#), could do better than C++,C, asm, enlighten me.
But you're completely missing the point. I'm not saying that old VB is better for anything (although, some may argue that it is better at some things ― small learning curve, for one). You're the only one making a distinction regarding the version of Visual Basic. Visual Basic .NET is the evolved form of Visual Basic, 99% of the time you get somebody saying they're writing a program in Visual Basic, they mean Visual Basic .NET. You're the one who assumed otherwise.

VB (oldie), could be considered a gui with few functions so new coders could join the coding world, or code proyects by using OO environments. (VB is pretty much the father of today's Object Oriented IDEs). But that's it. Again, no need to mention C# with its CRL bytecode translator, because that's part of .NET which is different from the old Visual Basic IDEs you used to create code back in 90's
I'm not sure what you're driving at... that Visual Basic 6 and lower wasn't a fully fledged programming language? A large number of commercial applications were programmed in Visual Basic back in the olden days (since .NET, C# is a more popular choice), because it was very easy to learn and could use any of the native Windows APIs as well as COM. In fact, a colleague of mine wrote some pretty complex stuff in Visual Basic 6 about 6 years ago before we ported all the code to .NET.

If you want to develop a full fledged game requiring custom ideas to happen, you'll need either C, C++ or C# (asm too..).
That's absolutely absurd. You're saying that complex coding can only be done in C, C++, C# or asm? I'm trying so hard not to sound too offensive here, but I really don't think you know what you're talking about. Besides, we've come full circle to my original point―which is―if you're going to recommend C# then you may as well recommend VB.NET (not "VB oldie", as you put it) because they're equals. And I made that point because telling someone they should use C# if they may have experience with Visual Basic is silly. As for that completely ridiculous claim about custom ideas only being programmable in those languages, I really think you have a lot to learn.

Anyway, I can tell English isn't your first language and there's obviously some things getting lost in the translation, so how about we agree to disagree on this one?

Coto

-
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
That's absolutely absurd. You're saying that complex coding can only be done in C, C++, C# or asm? I'm trying so hard not to sound too offensive here, but I really don't think you know what you're talking about. Besides, we've come full circle to my original point―which is―if you're going to recommend C# then you may as well recommend VB.NET (not "VB oldie", as you put it) because they're equals.

Oh, I kinda thought you'd point that C# and VB would be equal each other because *only if run under visual studio* , where as every variable declared both on VB and or C# would be translated by the CLS into the CRL (or CLR by some people).

edit: nvm, just re-read the COM stuff and it's true, I barely have any knowledge on VB and COM lets you access hardware in real time, pretty much to what Directx's mainframe was: VB.

As for that completely ridiculous claim about custom ideas only being programmable in those languages, I really think you have a lot to learn.

I'll take such "opinion" from much better coders, or at least those that have a real judgement when it comes down to be honest at "newcomers" and say, this language is what you're seeking if X[ie: coding a memory manager, building a new game engine, physics, dissasembly, using a hardware codec to run a specific task], or this one, if you're looking for Y [ie: building a database-like ERP, building client guided gui's, php, asp, etc].

Anyway, I can tell English isn't your first language and there's obviously some things getting lost in the translation, so how about we agree to disagree on this one?
As for my english i've always said it's not my main language, and I frankly don't care if some people get it right or wrong, i'll be as clear as possible to say what I have to.

And now I get stuff much better than a year ago or so at coding, I think. This may be me, but personally, i'm taking the rough route on computer behavior and it's been useful. My apologies if I overlooked a platform you have had developed (or your friend) before.

McHaggis

Fackin' Troller
Trophies
XP
Country
I'll take such "opinion" from much better coders, or at least those that have a real judgement when it comes down to be honest at "newcomers" and say, this language is what you're seeking if X[ie: coding a memory manager, building a new game engine, physics, dissasembly, using a hardware codec to run a specific task], or this one, if you're looking for Y [ie: building a database-like ERP, building client guided gui's, php, asp, etc].
Not to disregard your whole post―I'd like to think that the debate is over―, but I will just say that the real key to helping people is not to be judgemental on the language they're using. Yes, in this case, the guy was a newcomer, but if he had 5 years experience with Visual Basic then telling him to use C# instead is not the right thing to do. It's tantamount to telling them they've wasted a lot of time learning the wrong thing, even if they've only put a couple of weeks in. In my experience, it doesn't matter which language you start with. Once you get a good grasp on programming, then you at least have some experience to take with you to another language.

Learning to code can be pretty daunting, and different people are suited to different types of entry into programming. Some find languages with simple grammar easier to learn. I got into coding when I was around 10, copying code samples from books into BASIC on a BBC Micro and screwing around with them to see what I could change and how. In my later years, I quickly learned PHP and JavaScript, as well as C#, all syntactically deriving from C. I've known people who find it much easier to start with Python or Visual Basic, because their grammars are simpler or it's what was taught at the beginning of their programming education. Take it from someone who has a decent amount of experience in helping newcomers to programming (and that's all I'm going to say on that :P), language choice doesn't really matter as much as experience when you're a newcomer.

On a side note, I actually have a certificate for a Visual Basic module I completed 12 years ago... though I haven't touched the language much since. ;)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Talk about propaganda.