darcangel

Lovely Troll
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I was playing MHU4 on gateway, then I closed the lid and went to dinner,

When I got back there was a blue light on(strange: never saw it before)opened and it said that the game card has been removed and i needed to restart, (OK I restart)

After restart the exploit don't work,so I use the blue card and it is fine,gateway mode again.
but now MHU4 says the game file is corrupted and need to format, WTF??

Come on I didn't put some much time in a game since SKYRIM. I really could use some HELP, I was at G2 and all...

140hours lost? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, take my first born but don't do this to me.

mrGREEK360

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Ouch that sucks, that's why its a good idea to backup your saves. Also never leave your gateway on for any period when you are not playing because emunand can crash you back to systemnand and corrupt your saves it's rare but it does happen.

I think you are out of luck these saves can't be saved, but hopefully somone near your LVL and location can send you their save so you can play from there.

When I know I'm going to spend that much time as you did with monster hunter I just end up purchasing a retail copy as I would be devestated if I lost 140hours. My suggestion to you is in the future for a game like monster hunter just purchase a retail copy or make sure you backup your saves at the very least weekly, even tho save corrupts aren't common they still happen and I'd rather not be the unlucky one. Also next time you are done playing a game then please save and exit gateway mode it's not worth the risk, people have bricked their 3ds because their battery died in gateway mode, not sure if that has been fixed tho.

I know consoles/games are expensive in your country but imo if I was you I'd import a us/eu copy and get somone to mask what it is next time you are going to play 100+ hours ,even 50hours I'd purchase retail, iv shipped a few games to friends where you live as a favor and they weren't charged anything extra.

Please list what is important to you like where the character was what lvl what items ect and hopefully somone reading this can help you out by giving you their save that's near what you had.

darcangel

Lovely Troll
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Ouch that sucks, that's why its a good idea to backup your saves. Also never leave your gateway on for any period when you are not playing because emunand can crash you back to systemnand and corrupt your saves it's rare but it does happen.

I think you are out of luck these saves can't be saved, but hopefully somone near your LVL and location can send you their save so you can play from there.

When I know I'm going to spend that much time as you did with monster hunter I just end up purchasing a retail copy as I would be devestated if I lost 140hours. My suggestion to you is in the future for a game like monster hunter just purchase a retail copy or make sure you backup your saves at the very least weekly, even tho save corrupts aren't common they still happen and I'd rather not be the unlucky one. Also next time you are done playing a game then please save and exit gateway mode it's not worth the risk, people have bricked their 3ds because their battery died in gateway mode, not sure if that has been fixed tho.

I know consoles/games are expensive in your country but imo if I was you I'd import a us/eu copy and get somone to mask what it is next time you are going to play 100+ hours ,even 50hours I'd purchase retail, iv shipped a few games to friends where you live as a favor and they weren't charged anything extra.

Please list what is important to you like where the charcter was what lvl what items ect and hopefully somone reading this can help you out by giving you their save that's near what you had.

lost my char forever? I cant believe this, just cant

mrGREEK360

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
lost my char forever? I cant believe this, just cant

Someone who is smarter on this topic might know something I don't but I know of no way to fix it. Only thing I can suggest is possibly use a different sd card and copy everything over or backup your sdcard/emunand format and put all the files and saves back on, possibly something wrong with the sd card but I doubt it.

What essentially happened is the equivalent of using a retail cart and ejecting the game without closing the game first which can result in a corrupted save and have not heard of a fix.

I'm guilty of leaving my gateway in stanby all the time but at the same time I'm not spending even 10-20 hours on a game so I wouldn't be bothered if my save got corrupted but every time I insert my sdcard into pc I make a backup of it. I have yet to experience this problem myself, it's very random and you can even consider it the unlucky lottery lol because this bug is really rare, iv only encountered a handful of topics with this issue but it does exist.

Hopefully gateway can eliminate the standby crash bug completely but untill they do I suggest everyone backup their safes or use retail games for any game you are crazy about and likley to spend 30+ hours playing.

It wouldn't hurt to send gateway an email and ask them if they know anything that could recover the save and also report that the bug happend to you so they can fix it, the more people that report it the more likley it will be fixed soon. Lol soon

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
yeah i pretty much doubt there will be anything to be recovered as rather than the file being deleted from the SD its likely been overwrote....so no real way to recover it ......all i can suggest is looking towards either a shared save or save hacking to get you back up to round about where you where (or to at least make the journey easier)....and in future always make regular save backup, if it wasn't this bug it could of been random SD corruption, these things happen and if your putting a lot of time into something its better to make regular backups

darcangel

Lovely Troll
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
thanks guys,
guess is not hunting monsters again ever.

I still have the corrupted save file, but it seems it cannot be restored.

Haymose

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Out of curiosity, during that 140 hours did you ever go back to the system menu? I've had this issue numerous times with Bravely Default, but quitting the game back to system menu would create a save that I could always recover to.

DrunkenMonk

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
thanks guys,
guess is not hunting monsters again ever.

I still have the corrupted save file, but it seems it cannot be restored.

if your sysnand was 4.5 and your emunand had 6+ save encryption somehow, I'd maybe say that was somehow the problem when you got kicked out of gateway mode and the save was written with old save encryption? But I don't think that's even possible to have old save encryption sysnand and new encryption emunand.

Can't you create a new save and replace most of the hex data from your 'corrupt' save?

This is a bummer really. I even backed up my saves of retail carts with my powersaves to avoid anything like this. Screw losing saves ;-;.

darcangel

Lovely Troll
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Out of curiosity, during that 140 hours did you ever go back to the system menu? I've had this issue numerous times with Bravely Default, but quitting the game back to system menu would create a save that I could always recover to.
Never!!

I played all day for the last 2 weeks, and by night I just turned it off and went to bed.

I didnt know it create back-up saves

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
if your sysnand was 4.5 and your emunand had 6+ save encryption somehow, I'd maybe say that was somehow the problem when you got kicked out of gateway mode and the save was written with old save encryption? But I don't think that's even possible to have old save encryption sysnand and new encryption emunand.

Can't you create a new save and replace most of the hex data from your 'corrupt' save?

This is a bummer really. I even backed up my saves of retail carts with my powersaves to avoid anything like this. Screw losing saves ;-;.
nope, save data is encrypted and signed....so there is now way of really trying to piece it back together

Codename

GREEN BRO IS BEST BRO
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Well in the future, you could avoid an EmuNAND crash by having a separate SD Card, that doesn't have an EmuNAND partition on it, to boot into Gateway-mode SysNAND (then you could swap out your SD Card with your main one if you prefer). Pretty much just throw the Gateway launcher file on to a blank or new SD Card and attempt to boot into Gateway mode with that SD Card inserted. Once it boots up to Gateway mode SysNAND (because no EmuNAND was found on SD Card), you can swap out your SD Cards to your liking.

Helper

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Only tangentially on-topic, but... I know how unreliable even the best Flash media can be, and I've thought about the save files before. And how bad it would be to lose countless hours of progress. And that I should make regular backup. And then I don't. Too much hassle, you know.

However... an application which scans the SDMC root and copies every .SAV file to a computer via FTP... it wouldn't be such a hassle to just run that every few days (or however often). What say GBAtemp? Would anybody else find this useful?

mrGREEK360

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Battery drained....or someone actually did remove it.

Emunand can crash thus losing save files, he would of mentioned if his battery was drained and I doubt somone ejected the card while he was eating dinner. The culprit to his lost saves is most likely the rare emunanad crash bug while in stanby.

atrocious123

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Sorry how do i backup my MH4U save file? im on gateway 9.5.0-22, do i need to back up using savedatafiler (never installed this yet) or just go to SD Card , find the .sav file and back it up? o.o

Pedeadstrian

GBAtemp's Official frill-necked lizard.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry how do i backup my MH4U save file? im on gateway 9.5.0-22, do i need to back up using savedatafiler (never installed this yet) or just go to SD Card , find the .sav file and back it up? o.o
If you're using a .3ds or .3dz just copy the file on the root of your SD card that corresponds to the game's titleid. 1261 for EU and 1263 for US.

Reactions: atrocious123

Usoppu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Sorry to hijack but i gotta ask, if u backup the save via savedatafiler, is it safe to just leave the backup in the sd card? Or do i need to move it to my.pc as well. Will the data corruption affect the whole sd card or just the mh4u save?

Pedeadstrian

GBAtemp's Official frill-necked lizard.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry to hijack but i gotta ask, if u backup the save via savedatafiler, is it safe to just leave the backup in the sd card? Or do i need to move it to my.pc as well. Will the data corruption affect the whole sd card or just the mh4u save?
You can leave it alone. A crash (assuming it isn't during a firmware update or something similar) will only affect the save of the game you were playing at the time.

Reactions: Usoppu

Askedforthis

Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I was playing MHU4 on gateway, then I closed the lid and went to dinner,

When I got back there was a blue light on(strange: never saw it before)opened and it said that the game card has been removed and i needed to restart, (OK I restart)

140hours lost? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, take my first born but don't do this to me.

This seems to be a relatively common problem. As I've said in previous threads, I've never heard of this problem before GW3.0 and up. I lost my 30 hour Persona Q save to the exact same thing. MH4U (eshop/cia version if you have that one) can be backuped via SaveDataFiler, and the 3ds/3dz version is the usual GW style .sav. Take backups ALWAYS as it is more sour to lose the save completely, than just lose a few hours of progress.

Personally, I've started taking constant backups after Persona Q was corrupted. I've made a very simple script for myself that automatically backs up all savefiles on the SD card to my HDD, that way I don't have to do it manually. So if I put in the SD card on my computer it'll make a folder marked with a date and copy all .sav files and the SaveDataFiler folder into it.

If there are any OS X users out there who wants it, here's the script. Just edit it with your own backup path and username and add it to ~/Library/LaunchAgents and the other one to ~/Library/Scripts/ and it'll automatically backup the 3DS' SD card when you insert it into your computer. It'll only work on OS X though, so if you use GNU/Linux I guess there are similar ways to do it using rsync and Windows probably have some sort of program to do it or something.

Attachments

• OS X 3DSAutoBackuper.zip
    2 KB · Views: 179
Reactions: darcangel

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    also gonna install twilight menu in my r4 flashcard
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    One thing that just occurred to me.... The sound on the 2600 sucked less back then the harsh sound we hear now is from infinitely better speakers we have now, back when the 2600 was new speakers produced a almost muffled sound, like CRTs made old graphics look slightly better.
    I wonder if I could recommend that to some emulation devs that perhaps the sound could use some smoothing out to simulate those old TVs
    I think a few of the early systems could benefit from that, at least up to the 8 bit generation, by the 16 bit generation I think TVs had gotten a lot better in almost every way
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i dont have an sd card adapter but I have an usb sd card adapter
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Old people games
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    its not the one that comes with the r4
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    doesnt work (my flashcard is from r4isdhc.com)
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    might install ysmenu first
    Try Wood firmware
    For your R4
    It's old but it's the best firmware out for DS stuff
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    it says it only works for the original R4, R4i Gold (r4ids.cn), R4iDSN (r4idsn.com) and Acekard R.P.G.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    nvm it does support mine
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    but why choose it over ysmenu @Psionic Roshambo?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    bc im stupid?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yea ik im stupid
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    Just give it a try, but honestly if you have a 3DS you can play DS games without a card just off the internal SD card
    Slightly slower loading but a bit more convenient
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, my fuckin headphones have an out of place speaker
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Did you try wearing them?
    B @ btjunior: @Xdqwerty 16