Need help identifying GBASP

Discussion in 'GBA - Console and Game Discussions, Help and Tips' started by HombreDeAlma, Apr 14, 2014.

1. HombreDeAlma
    OP

HombreDeAlma Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 14, 2014
    United States
    [​IMG]
    Hello there, I need help identifying this GBA. I know for certain it's not the standard Cobalt, nor is it the Surf Blue. Is this some sort of rare GBASP?
    Thank you.

2. Ulieq

Ulieq GBAtemp Fan

Jan 14, 2014
    United States
    Los Angeles, California
    Looks like SP 1 from here, the screen is dark. Show the serial on the back.

Foxi4 likes this.
  3. loco365

loco365 GBAtemp Guru

Sep 1, 2010
    If your bright screen is still rather dim, you have an AGS-001, or an original GBA SP model. If its brightness is on-par with that of a Nintendo DS screen, you have the AGS-101, or the newer of the models. By the looks of the color on the screen, you have the AGS-001, however, I can't get an exact color, because all your buttons are different colors, signifying that at one time, the case or buttons were modified. The GBA SP's buttons are all the same color on the system, although there are dark and light grey buttons depending on the system's color. Yours has a mix of dark and light grey, so the color of the case may have been from either the 001 or 101.

You can, however, cross-compare the colors in this list with yours, and see if you can find a match. If it doesn't match those colors, there is the small possibility that it could have been a custom case as well. I'm leaning towards it being the Marble Blue color, but I'd need a better photo to confirm that.

4. Harsky

Harsky Madmin

Aug 2, 2004
    This site catalogues most of the GBA SP colors but I think the most likely scenario is that your GBA SP has a shell replacement which came with new buttons.

thaddius likes this.
  5. thaddius

thaddius Charmander is not pleased.

May 5, 2008
    Canada
    Indeed. I would often mix and match my GBA SP buttons and it looks like that might be the case there.

6. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    On first glance this looks like a mix-and-match as thaddius says - the D-Pad/A/B buttons don't match the Start/Select buttons. It's probably a customized system.

7. HombreDeAlma
    OP

HombreDeAlma Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 14, 2014
    United States
    Ah, this GBA is not mine. It's for sale on Craigslist and it caught my attention.
    Thanks for the clarification paisanos. I'm a huge fan of the Gameboys.

8. Cactuar

Cactuar GBAtemp Regular

Dec 8, 2007
    United States
    California
    I thought the after-market shells were a good idea until I ordered and installed it. I was left with a very cheap feeling SP. Buttons felt cheap, loose and somewhat less responsive. The paint can be scratched by nearly anything. I'd prefer a stock shell even if it's in terrible cosmetic condition, if just for the feel in hand while playing. I'm not normally a nay-sayer on much of anything but just my thoughts.

9. HombreDeAlma
    OP

HombreDeAlma Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 14, 2014
    United States
    I've replaced two GBA SP101 shells already.
    I have to agree with you. While the other shells were stupid scratched and messed up, I could tell the material of the replacement ones were not quite Nintendium. They do look pretty though.

Cactuar likes this.