Need help getting a hard drive working

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware, Devices and Accessories' started by drakorex, Jan 24, 2014.

1. drakorex
    OP

drakorex GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jan 19, 2011
    United States
  2. Originality

Originality Chibi-neko

Apr 21, 2008
    London, UK
    If the light on the brick isn't turning on, that's where your problem lies. Check the connections and find out why it's not getting power.

Also, most desktop HDDs use more than 0.5A of power, so they will always need an extra power supply than what USB provides. There's no way around that unless you use a spare cable hanging out of a PC (I do that sometimes).

3. drakorex
    OP

Jan 19, 2011
    United States
    it's for a wii, actually. Was hoping to avoid plugging up both ports though.

4. sudeki300

sudeki300 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 20, 2004
    What do you mean by both ports, this should only use the one USB port. You would need to power the HDD with the power brick plugged into the wall..................sudeki300

5. drakorex
    OP

Jan 19, 2011
    United States
    Well anyway, I found an extra power cord lying around, (that was the problem) and now the hard drive spins up. I plugged it into the computer and it said my device was ready to use, but it doesn't show up as a hard drive. Instead it's listed as USB to ATA/ATAPI Bridge. No way to access it.

EDIT: Nevermind. Space was unallocated and windows wasn't asking to format. Easeus saved the day.

6. sudeki300

sudeki300 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 20, 2004
    That was gonna be the next step of advice, new hdd's are unallocated you could of just done the same with disk management in windows. Glad it's sorted..........................sudeki300

7. Originality

Originality Chibi-neko

Apr 21, 2008
    London, UK
    2.5" drives make much better wii drives. They can work with just one USB cable. I have a Samsung M2 drive for both Wii and PS3.

8. drakorex
    OP

Jan 19, 2011
    United States
    Just had a rude awakening after trying to load a gamecube game. Even though its a 2tb drive, its not 512 byte sectors. back to amazon...