Need help for making a SNES cotntroller into a PC

Discussion in 'Other Consoles & Oldies' started by Toa_235, May 12, 2010.

May 12, 2010
  1. Toa_235
    OP

Newcomer Toa_235 Romantic_Carpet

Croatia
    So im homesick this week and i cant do shit, i cant go out, i cant be in bed cause il be bored to death, so im practically chained to my pc for a week.
    and so browsing the web ive come across and idea to make a pc controller out a Snes controller.
    But since iv`e got no DB-25 or any similar ports on my mobo since its 2 months old, i figured i can maybe wire it to a PS/2 since i dont use them...
    So when i found my old PS/2 keyboard i set it apart and extracted its PCB which was pretty small and will be easy to fit into the Snes controller case....
    looks like this : (2 x 13 pins, A and B group)

[​IMG]

and the SNES controller PCB:

[​IMG]

then i tried to wire some pins from the A group to the pins from the B group on it and got different keys pressed with notepad opened...
    i could use some help wiring it to the SNES controller contacts with the pins on the keyboard PCB, cause its kinda complicated

so plz take a minute to help me out you can also take those 2 images and make adjustments on them, or whatever you like

2. Cyan

Global Moderator Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

France
    you want to use the keyboard core in place of the SNES core, right ?
    It's a good idea as a replacement of the LPT port, but unfortunately a bad one as keyboard can't read more than 3 pressed keys at the same time. (some keyboard even register a random 4th key instead)

You might not be able to push top+right+A+B+R :/ (for example Super Metroid, run+jump+shoot+diagonally aim)

But, it's a good project for yourself, you learn by testing anyway [​IMG]
    You can use it as simple keyboard and not for video gaming.
    sorry I can't help you more on the connexion though.

3. Toa_235
    OP

Newcomer Toa_235 Romantic_Carpet

Croatia
    not instead but to connect the SNES core contacts to pins of the keyboard... but too bad its just an experiment
    so that when the contact on the SNES core is pressed the 2 pins on the keyboard core are wired...
    i tried it right now by shorting it to the L button and the "6" on the key-core
    it worked... but then i saw your post and realized that i tottally forgot about that... adn that gave me another idea... but ill have to give a try to both of them...

4. blainy

Member blainy GBAtemp Fan

Australia

the ps/2 port should not have the key-press limit IIRC..