Need help choosing a Flash Cart

Discussion in 'NDS - Console and Game Discussions' started by Spinney, May 14, 2015.

1. Spinney
    OP

Spinney Newbie

Newcomer
    May 14, 2015
    United States
    (This isn't posted in a certain flash cart specific category because I have no idea which one to choose!)

Hey all! I'm extremely new to the scene; a GBA was the last handheld gaming device I have ever used. Since then I grew up and lost interest. I saw this on reddit and it inspired me to do the same! Just got my DS today so I'm getting started on it, but I want to decide on a flash cart and order it asap.

So there are two main things that I need help on: I want a flashcart that is single-screen friendly. I just want to be sure that having only a bottom screen won't prevent me from using any flash cart I decide on. Secondly, I'm REALLY into UI design and love being able to customize the look of my device.. and I mean REALLY customize it, so editable skins would be really nice... or atleast have a really modern look to it by default.. I can't find a lot of screenshots, but acekard 2 and supercard ds two seem to look the best by default (this might not seem important, but for me it really is!)

I think those are the only two requirements I have. Full-featured flash carts are better, but even if there's some limited functionality, that's ok if it meets the two requirements!

Thank you all in advance for the suggestions!

2. Graham182

Graham182 GBAtemp Regular

Apr 17, 2015
    Droichead Na Bandon, Cork, Ireland
    I would recommend dstwo (although I've never tried acekard) It has a fantastic GBA emulator and plenty skins (can't remember if they're customisable though) Only thing really is best of luck finding one.

3. nxwing

nxwing GBAtemp Addict

Jul 22, 2013
    Philippines
    The Capital
    EZ-Flash IV for GBA games. There's a new variant that supports microSDHC cards. I'm sure about it being single screen but I'm not sure if the screen used is top or button.

4. Spinney
    OP

Spinney Newbie

Newcomer
    May 14, 2015
    United States

I googled it and I found a few screenshots. It seems to look good, but I wanted to confirm that two screens were not required to use it efficiently? Some of the screenshots showed the top screen in use.. :/

I'll check it out and see what I can find! Thanks!

5. Graham182

Graham182 GBAtemp Regular

Apr 17, 2015
    Droichead Na Bandon, Cork, Ireland
    I had a diy macro and full ds lite, I think I had to use the ds lite to switch screens the dstwo use, but it can be switched. Had to take the macro apart again to fix a buddy's full ds lite.

6. HaloEffect17

HaloEffect17 Splatoon Fan

Jul 1, 2015
    Canada
    From my experience, I had an R4i Gold and it got jammed into my DS Lite. It broke shortly after that, so I would stray away from this one.