Need help buying a Dual Core or Quad Core PC

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by WiiCube_2013, Jun 20, 2015.

1. WiiCube_2013
    OP

WiiCube_2013 GBAtemp Guru

Oct 19, 2013
    Gaza Strip
    Since I do all my gaming on consoles I generally use PC just for office stuff, internet and watching/listening to media so as such this one that I use which is 2GB RAM, 2.80 GHz w/P4 (Windows 7) and want to buy a tower of 4GB-8GB.

I was looking at these two:

4GB - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dell-Opti...940?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item43cae34974

8GB - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FAST-DELL...643?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item1c53f48753

Would the 4GB edition be more than enough since I wouldn't use it heavily?

By the way, the tower that I'm using is noisy as fuck! And another reason I want to get another one.

2. Originality

Originality Chibi-neko

Apr 21, 2008
    London, UK
    If you want to reduce the noise, you could always simply buy a quiet case (e.g. Fractal Design R4 or later) and get a quieter aftermarket cooler for the CPU. Then all you need to do is move the motherboard and other parts from one case to the other.

As for those systems you linked, I would personally avoid both of them. Being Dell slimline products and refurbished ones at that (where they don't specify which CPU it has), there is no guarantee of how long they will last and it is fairly certain that after a few months, they will be as loud as your current case. On the other hand, both systems would be adequate for your needs (just about anything is adequate for your needs).

3. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    It says pentium dual core on the first one, I would avoid that.
    The second one is core 2 quad which is much better.

4. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    Don't buy pre-builds, you're paying for the brand. Put some effort into your PC, go to PC Parts Picker and Newegg, get some proper components with good reviews and stick it together. It's really not difficult - just abstract it to Lego blocks, everything's plug and play these days.

5. WiiCube_2013
    OP

Oct 19, 2013
    Gaza Strip
    Other than the noise, it's also sluggish when it comes to YouTube videos.

So in a range between £90-£160 what could you recommend me?

6. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    Unfortunately, with his seemingly small budget, it's going to be difficult to put anything together that will work remotely well within his price range. And assuming his P4 build is as old as I think, he probably won't be able to reuse many parts besides maybe the HDD, case and...maybe the PSU, if it's recent enough to support newer mobo's?

@OP, your very limited budget isn't going to get you anything remotely good, unfortunately. I wouldn't recommend either of the two Dell desktops, but I don't think I can actually recommend anything that's actually of worth with your low budget. You'll either have to up your budget or stick with what you have until you have enough money to buy something remotely ok.

7. WiiCube_2013
    OP

Oct 19, 2013
    Gaza Strip
    The reason I don't want to spend too much is because when I download shows/movies I just connect the USB to the LED TV and YouTube's on 360/WiiU/PS3 so you see why my price range is low.

Plus, I prefer watching it on the bed at my bedroom while the PC's in the livingroom.