Need help buying a 5.3.2 Wii U

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by Scarecrow B, Apr 3, 2016.

1. Scarecrow B
    OP

Scarecrow B ScrapTown

Dec 29, 2015
    Mexico
    I planning on buying a 5.3.2 Wii U (a new one, not refurbished or second hand) and according to this thread, the "Nintendo Wii U Deluxe Set: Super Mario 3D World and Nintendo Land Bundle" should be a safe bet on getting one on 5.3.2 or below but I have also read that recently Nintendo has been shipping updated versions of the bundles.

So my question is, if a buy that bundle from, let's say... Amazon, is there a good possibility that I receive a Wii U on a hackable firmware or will I be receiving a 5.5.0/5.5.1 console?

2. DKB

DKB N I G H T M A R E

GBAtemp Patron
    DKB is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    May 29, 2015
    United States
    New York City, Manhattan
    ...I know this is a bit haterish but uh. You seriously want to spend 300$+ dollars on a new Wii U? I'd buy a used one on Ebay or something and just wait til' one pops up that shows the firmware it's on. (5.3.2, of course). The Wii U you're talking about is damn expensive..

But uh, on topic if you're spending money like that, since they don't make much Wii U's; I'm sure that a lot of them have been sitting around with that firmware on them. You should be good if you focus on that specific Wii U bundle.

..That's just my 2 cents. You could always return it though if something does go wrong, though.

3. Scarecrow B
    OP

Scarecrow B ScrapTown

Dec 29, 2015
    Mexico
    Truth be told, I would buy one from ebay if I could but living in Mexico pretty much limits my options. I have been trying to get one from "other sources" but at this point I just want to get it ASAP and of course be sure that it will be on 5.3.2 or lower.

Last edited by Scarecrow B, Apr 3, 2016
    DKB likes this.
  4. mznova

mznova GBAtemp Regular

Apr 3, 2007
    United States
    I'd do a search for the cheapest of those bundles that you can get, and then buy a used splatoon disc and update it.

5. Scarecrow B
    OP

Scarecrow B ScrapTown

Dec 29, 2015
    Mexico
    The cheapest would be the Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (Preinstalled) + DLC bundle but that one "apparently" has a high rate of 5.5.0 versions.

6. nero99

nero99 GBAtemp Addict

Sep 18, 2014
    United States
    uh, if someone is selling a wii u on a hackable fw. itll cost more then a new bundle system..

7. cooroxd

cooroxd Dirty Pirate

Banned
    Aug 30, 2014
    Canada
    B.C.
    Depends if they know that it's hackable. I've bought tons of 3ds for dirt cheap price on low firmware back when 9.2 was a thing. And most ppl who were selling were not aware that it can be hacked.

8. ihateu3

ihateu3 GBAtemp Regular

Nov 21, 2010
    United States
    I really need to start considering selling my 5.3.2

$500 gets it now...

9. mech

mech ♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️

Oct 26, 2014
    Vanuatu
  10. Mattmatic

Mattmatic Member

Newcomer
    Jan 21, 2016
    United States
    If you have a Wii U already and are just wanting one with a low firmware you can find deals on amazon and ebay for just the console itself (No gamepad) for around 160$ and just use your current gamepad. Another option is buying what I just stated and then one of the deal on only the gamepad itself. You would spend about 220-250$ in the end.

11. Scarecrow B
    OP

Scarecrow B ScrapTown

Dec 29, 2015
    Mexico
    Yes, that seems like the most economical option, I'll try to find just the console and see if the seller can certify that it is on 5.3.2 or lower.

I live in Mexico, which is not in Europe. There are sellers on Ebay that ship to Mexico but there is like a +$100 just on taxes and shipping. Amazon only adds like $30 on taxes and they also offer free shipping.

Mattmatic likes this.
  12. bower84

bower84 Newbie

Newcomer
    May 12, 2016
    For anyone interested i am selling 3 of them at the moment on ebay for cheap prices! Message me on there if have questions etc!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/172201080573?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

13. Audioboxer

Audioboxer GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 7, 2007
    Excuse my ignorance as my Wii U has been shelved for a long time (it is on 5.3.2), but after trying to get back into the Wii U scene lately it seems the highest FW currently out is exploitable? Why is 5.3.2 still sought after?

Nice of you not to gouge. Faith in humanity restored.

Last edited by Audioboxer, May 12, 2016
  14. Kakkoii

Kakkoii Old fart

Sep 14, 2007
    Canada
    Why are you restricting yourself to 5.3.2? 5.4 has all the same access levels and all useful software has already been compiled for it. And now there is even a kernel exploit for 5.5.0/5.5.1.

15. Viri

Viri GBAtemp Maniac

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    This topic was made before 5.5 firmware exploit came out

16. ScarletDreamz

ScarletDreamz [Debug Mode]

Feb 16, 2015
    United States
    California
    How much are u willing to spend on a Wii u, i got a 5.4.0. located in Mexico.

17. petethepug

petethepug PUG

May 2, 2016
    United States
    COMPUTER
    I don't see why taking the risk of having it shipped is worse than going to a store hopeing you get the correct version.

Buying a new one may limit your chances serverley on buying a modified one. You could try looking on EBay again and have it shipped. Depending on where you live in Mexico it shouldn't be a problem.

18. Scarecrow B
    OP

Scarecrow B ScrapTown

Dec 29, 2015
    Mexico
    Yeah, it was more than a month ago. I have already purchased the WiiU so.... I guess this thread can be closed.