Need data recovery program - freeware

Discussion in 'Computer Software and Operating Systems' started by SickPuppy, Dec 30, 2012.

Dec 30, 2012
  1. SickPuppy
    OP

Member SickPuppy New Member

United States
    I was watching a movie from my usb thumb stick and when the movie was completed my TV corrupted my usb thumb stick. I formatted the thumb stick with my computer because that was the only way to gain access to it. Luckily it was just a quick format. What I need is a free program that will recover the data. Yea, I'm cheap. There's a few more movies on it that I hadn't watched yet.

2. Wombo Combo

Member Wombo Combo That Ain't Falco

United States
  3. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    Recuva is where I go first, should it fail then
    http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk_Download
    Testdisk and photorec do really well with odd cases like corrupt boot sectors and such like where recuva is more about just getting files that have been deleted.

If the latter fails and it is not a hard drive (which can have repairable faults) or simple things like a bad connection (surprisingly common for me these days) then you might get something if you have NSA/GCHQ level skills but realistically it is gone.

Rydian likes this.
  4. pyromaniac123

Member pyromaniac123 ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็(ಠ益ಠส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็

United Kingdom
    You mean GCHQ right?

5. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    Yeah I did- I blame my sitting up until o dark thirty last night learning card tricks (one can never have enough methods of doing false cuts).

6. SickPuppy
    OP

Member SickPuppy New Member

United States
    ok, thanks. I will try recuva and see what happens.

7. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    Recuva's the easy GUI-based one that'll get data back that's just missing the filesystem pointers and metadata, while TestDisk is the balls-to-the-wall recovery program that'll rip the ghost of BoneMonkey off of GBATemp's fifth server at the bottom of the sea.

If both of those don't get it back, like FAST said, it's gone unless you've got a grand or more to pay a lab.