Need an up-to-date (Post-Enso) PSV hacking guide

Discussion in 'PS Vita - Hacking & Homebrew' started by CeciF, Aug 11, 2017.

1. CeciF
    OP

CeciF Member

Newcomer
    Jul 19, 2017
    United States
    Hi all,

Just to rant about my frustration here...

My story: Bought a used PSV 1000 ver. as soon as I heard the release of Henkaku. This was close to the beginning of the year. Gone thru the guides at the time to run Henkaku via web exploit, set up QCMA to transfer files from PC, tested a couple games with the Vitamin dump vpk + VitaShell, and also the MaiDump format. Worked great, though the whole process of actually getting a game from PC to PSV was really convoluted... But I knew it will get improved over time. Basically went through the 9-yard just to learn the process, then powered off my PSV and stash it away, as I was really busy with other things back then...

Fastforward to current time (half year later), Henkaku-Enso came out, so does Adrenaline made some great leaps over the months, and best of all VitaShell can support USB file transfer to-from PC directly! Have more free time during the summer, I dug out my PSV and powered it on. 3.60 OFW just like the day I bought it. Follow the instructions to installed Henkaku-Enso, great. Next to transfer some games over. Click on the MolecularShell bubble and plug in the USB cable, nothing happened on PC. WTF? didn't VitaShell's already capable of copying directly from PC?? And MolecularShell is just a rebrand of VitaShell so I was expecting Enso would already have it build-in?!

Googled and turned out I was wrong. USB transfer never got included in MolecularShell. Fine, download & install VitaShell separately.

POP QUESTION 1: With VitaShell installed now, can I delete MolecularShell? Would doing so screw up Enso?

Next up, Adrenaline! Follow the official readme on GitHub's Adrenaline page, first I need a PSP game already installed on my PSV. No problem, I got locoRoco installed from PSN half year ago (and also another JAP puzzle game for PS1 just in case) 'cause I always listen to Wololo's precaution. Hmm... so what's the TITLEID for my locoRoco? Googled tons but none of the guides would mention how to find your game's TITLE ID! Is it such a secrete that no one shall speak of it?!? A forum reply points me to a text file listing all the PSV game's title & their TITLE ID. But with so many different region versions of the same game with different TITLEID, are you really expecting someone to try them one-by-one?? There's gotta be a better way. Luckily I'm no newbie to the console hacking scene, and I had poke around file structures on PS3 plenty back in the days. Still, took some time to locate which partition and where the game folders are on PSV, and vola! Checked the PARAM.SFO under each game ID folder and identified locoRoco. Then proceeded to get Adrenaline up and running...

POP QUESTION 2: So how exactly do I move Adrenaline to ur0? There's no option to choose during install other than the default location memory card... I tried manually move the folder from ux0 to ur0, but on startup Adrenaline just ask to install to memory card again... Can I move Adrenaline to ur0 with Application Storage Manager?

All is well, until I found out about the ePSP Bubble Installer. Oh great! So there's a way NOT having to scarifies my locoRoco?! (believe it or not I actually like the game =p) How come no one mentions this in all their guides? Or even on the official readme on Adrenaline's GitHub page?? No matter, I proceeded to switch my Adrenaline trigger from locoRoco to the ePSP Bubble Installer. Alright, I got a "BIGHEADSNOOKER" bubble or something like that shows up. Proceed to edit my config file...Wait, what's the TITLEID for the BIGHEADSNOOKER? No where on the official readme said anything. Okay, maybe cause the homebrew just randomly generate a titleid so it's different everytime, and maybe that's why the author can spell it out in the readme... WRONG!! It's always just the same BIGHEADSNOOKER bubble, I have to resort to manual way to find out like before that it's TITTLEID is "NPEZ00104". If it's a fixed id, WHY CAN'T YOU JUST SPELL IT OUT in the readme???

POP QUESTION 3: Can I move this BIGHEADSNOOKER to ur0 with Application Storage Manager? Would it break the trigger for Adrenaline? and ePSP Bubble Installer screw up if later I decided to uninstall the bubble?

Now after all these gongshow, my PSV is hack-ready on boot up everytime. Only thing not quite happy is ugly bubble icon for the BIGHEADSNOOKER/Adrenaline. Photoshopped my own icon0.png to replace with Bubble Studio... WHAT?! No support to change the launchgate picture? =X Darn it...

P.S. Trying out Adrenaline, PSP game iso & cso works great so far, but none of my PSX-converted-PSP games work because no POPSLoader support. Bye bye Syphon Filter 1, 2, 3, and Megaman X4, 5, 6...

2. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    1) You can delete Molecular Shell if you like. If you ever need to reinstall for whatever reason, you can do so by going to the Henkaku website.

2) AFAIK, no. Adrenaline currently only runs on ux0 and uma0.

3) Again, no.

If you want to run Adrenaline on something other than the memory card, get an SD2Vita. This lets you use an SD card as a memory card or as separate storage from the game card slot, and since Adrenaline can now be run off of uma0 (the separate storage) you can run it that way.

CeciF likes this.
  3. yeshuachrist

yeshuachrist GBAtemp Regular

Sep 1, 2010
    United States
    in one of the adrenaline release threads, forget which one, because its been a while, anyway, i wrote a full guide here and there, and its easy to follow..................after you do all of that, install henkaku enso and then uninstall the offline installer for henkaku, because you won't need that anymore, then you can install "usbmc" to avoid having unplug and replug in your usb stick or you use that as your vita memory card (take a few minutes and scroll through the adrenaline release threads, because I forget which one i posted in)

CeciF and LuigiXL like this.
  4. CeciF
    OP

CeciF Member

Newcomer
    Jul 19, 2017
    United States
    Tom, Thanks so much for answering all my questions.

But then what're those comments (behind the "cef" & "kernel" folders) about on Adrenaline's GitHub page??

"Moved Adrenaline location to ur0: and increased path buffer length in..."

5. LuigiXL

LuigiXL GBAtemp Fan

Jan 19, 2016
    Don't know if anyone knows but can I drag and drop my files from existing SD i currently use with the adaptor (4gb) to a new bigger card when I get it? (I'll still format it using the zz) or do I need to Clone it? Thanks

6. CeciF
    OP

CeciF Member

Newcomer
    Jul 19, 2017
    United States
    I don't have a SD2gamecard adaptor (bit the bullet and bought a 64GB PSV memory card about 6 months ago long before the adapter was invented =X), but I think you probably can... If you are able to access the files on the SD in your PSV via VitaShell's USB mount when connected to a PC and copy out the files that way, then I don't see why not you can't do it directly SD-to-SD on your PC.

LuigiXL likes this.