FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I wish I could be done with College already :P
I am sure if you ask nicely then various loan companies will give you near crippling amounts of debt and you can probably find a field to enter and have to work your way up from no experience right now if you wanted.

Reactions: Posghetti

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
Same. I just want my degree already. This is definitely not the prime time of MY life.
;_; I guess just because I had a great time doesn't mean everyone else will. (Also, I want to add - this is the last time in your life you can have true fun. The carefree fun you had as a kid is fading fast. As an adult you can't really have proper fun - you're too busy being careful not to hurt yourself and worrying about what others think. So appreciate it while it's there).

Prime not just in terms of fun/social - also physically. When I was at uni I cycled from Orange NSW to ANU over a few days with a group to raise money for some charity or other. That's about 250km. Granted I usually arrived last at each night's destination but I still did it. And when I moved off campus to a share house I would ride 5-10km to uni and back each day. Now I'd be lucky to cycle for an hour without getting exhausted. And if there's a hill, forget it. I also spent a worrying amount of time climbing walls and fences and going through holes for various pranks and adventures. No way I could climb a fence now - I'd be too worried about hurting my back or snagging a hole in my clothes. And maybe I wouldn't be strong enough to pull myself up anyway.

invaderyoyo

invader
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
;_; I guess just because I had a great time doesn't mean everyone else will. (Also, I want to add - this is the last time in your life you can have true fun. The carefree fun you had as a kid is fading fast. As an adult you can't really have proper fun - you're too busy being careful not to hurt yourself and worrying about what others think. So appreciate it while it's there).

Prime not just in terms of fun/social - also physically. When I was at uni I cycled from Orange NSW to ANU over a few days with a group to raise money for some charity or other. That's about 250km. Granted I usually arrived last at each night's destination but I still did it. And when I moved off campus to a share house I would ride 5-10km to uni and back each day. Now I'd be lucky to cycle for an hour without getting exhausted. And if there's a hill, forget it. I also spent a worrying amount of time climbing walls and fences and going through holes for various pranks and adventures. No way I could climb a fence now - I'd be too worried about hurting my back or snagging a hole in my clothes. And maybe I wouldn't be strong enough to pull myself up anyway.

This isn't true for everyone. You don't have to let yourself get out of shape when you finish college.

And of course you can have "true fun" when you finish. It is NOT the "last time in your life".

I understand where you're coming from and what you're saying, but I simply don't agree.

Reactions: Pleng

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yeah speak for yourself. I had a great time in it, having a great time ever since.

I don't know if I can bring myself to say anything as trite was wouldn't trade it for anything but I certainly don't regret it. Though UK student loans are a fraction of the US one, income linked, have minimum earnings per year before you pay it back and are generally all kinds of nicer than even the US federal variety.

Reactions: Quantumcat

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
Yeah speak for yourself. I had a great time in it, having a great time ever since.

I don't know if I can bring myself to say anything as trite was wouldn't trade it for anything but I certainly don't regret it. Though UK student loans are a fraction of the US one, income linked, have minimum earnings per year before you pay it back and are generally all kinds of nicer than even the US federal variety.
Yeah same here. You only have to pay back your student contribution when you earn over $60,000 and even then it's just a little percentage and it is interest free (going up with CPI though). And the amount universities are allowed to charge is capped by the government. And the government pays a large percentage of your fees too (uni used to be free like 40 years ago, sad it isn't anymore, but oh well). And you get a student allowance of about $215 a week to live on.

Last edited by Quantumcat,

7iven8Nine

Shrek's Memelord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tip from the cheap guy: If you can, wait on getting books for class, half the time, you don't even use and if you do, you can go without. If you have to get it, get the e-book and look up how make it into a PDF. It's twice as cheap. If you have to get a physical copy, give it to someone you know will take the class next semester and save them a little money.

rastsan

8 baller, Death Wizard,
Trophies
Website
rastsan.wordpress.com
XP
Country
Canada
Sigh... college days. Most campuses have a temporary employment service. Go and get yourself a part time job. Usually the copy centres/janitorial jobs pay really well. I know not where you see yourself but being having a job at school can help with social situations. also if you can get a job at the school directly that is one step better than some people who go through their entire education without working. Some schools offer free education to people who work there (or one free course a year). The teacher has to have copies of the text books to lend to people who cannot afford to buy them. Borrow and turn those suckers into pdfs (but don't give those pdfs away as that may violate school rules, and the teacher may get really pissed off... if the teacher sees the pdf then asks about it remember they get paid for the textbooks you making a pdf will probably really piss them off. if this happens ask them if there is a paid pdf version that is cheaper then the paper if there isn't they now have one but don't be an ass about this you can get booted for this...)
No matter how tempted do not cheat if asks you to be a part of it report it. cameras are everywhere on campus and they will/may not tell you until you TRY to gradaute that you won't be. not reporting it is the same thing as doing it to them.

Food banks are very handy. Never be afraid to ask for help. Always have a buddy with you at the party in case you get too drunk or someone drugs you, let someone else outside of the party know where you are going and when you expect to be back, if you leave the party without your friend call that third person and leave a message as to where you will be going.
If living in a dorm get your own fridge in your own room. DO NOT KEEP ANY FOOD OUT OF YOUR ROOM UNLESS YOU ARE OKAY WITH IT NOT BEING THERE LATER. never take the word of a roommate who says its okay to eat that unless it is their food. (yeah this happened to me he didn't like living with us and told us after the others noticed his stupidity/shenanigans).
Always check for weird rashes or other things before sex (making out).... its okay to say no if you are uncomfortable. Do not share toiletries; its the same thing as sex you don't know what that person has and if they are being honest when you ask if they have anything.

I know I am rambling but... you never know...
bulk purchase of noodles might seem like a good idea but try to keep a balanced diet. If you do not know how to cook already you should at least learn how to cook your favorites before you move out.

don't go crazy with any student loan money - you have to pay that back. The more you don't spend the less you have to pay back. Only the necessities.

these days you can get by downloading whatever to your phone at the library while studying or somewhere else that has free wifi. You do not need cable. You are there to study not binge watch. when done with your courses that is when you binge watch.

Be careful of who you trust until they prove they can be trusted. If moving to your own place do not use craigslist or kikigi(kigigi?)... use something reputable and traceable to find a place. Have your parents go over the lease. DO not be afraid to talk to your parents about what is going on. They want you to succeed so you don't move back in/ live off of them longer than necessary....

do you have a career plan?
Do you have a long term plan?
Do you have a financial plan?
If not do them NOW!
if you are just taking this college /university classes cause its kinda in the direction of what you like... stop and take an aptitude test before spending alot of money. just because you got top marks in x doesn't mean your teacher was teaching you properly. be sure of where you are going before you go there.

write and do your bucket list now its easier to do when you are young and full of energy /(still good looking).

I could go on and on...

rastsan

8 baller, Death Wizard,
Trophies
Website
rastsan.wordpress.com
XP
Country
Canada
Oh swear words/adult content possibilities...

back to advice. Work that career plan. Set real measurable goals.
Programmer right? If you haven't entered any competitions yet do so.
If you haven't scouted the companies you want to work for do so now. Call them ask to talk to the hr department and get their advice on who they will be hiring this year next year and 3 years from now. Get a detailed skills list from their current job postings and if the classes at school do not match any of those skills you are going to the wrong school.

financial goals

do you know what type of place you want to live in? questions to help you narrow this down
Do you want kids? if so how many? plan for at least 10000 saved per kid for their first year. Do these kids have a college fund? plan also to have less worked hours for those years and your spouse to be unemployed until that kid is 18 months old.

the number of kids ups the space needed.
Do you have a car with kids? do you park your car on the street or in your garage?
do you want a pool?
Will you be saving for retirement? if so how much?
Will you work from home or for someone else?
Will you periodically need to upgrade your skills or re-certify? if so how much do you think that will cost?
will you be vacationing if so local or abroad? Every year or twice a year?

there is more but your financial adviser will help you with that.
you get where I am going with this right? if you work backwards you can figure out how much you will need. The cost of the mortgage...
which will then help you identify the job your aptitude test says you are geared for. x yearly amount.

oh mortgage. I made my first big bucks owning the house I lived in and renting the rooms out. Getting other people to pay off the mortgage as I went to school. Every one or two years I would add a building. Not just any building one that conclusively made money. Was always rented or leased out. If your parents are funding things and you do have money saved up a mortgage payment is a better investment. but only if its a solid investment. It pays itself off and you get a place to live... If you are not afraid of hard work... basic custodian work than it gets cheaper. If not you could always get a management company to take care of things. If you keep up maintenance the value should stay the same or increase.
Some things to think about...

career goals? I know I kinda touched on them but where do you see yourself? If you don't know re-read above. Let the money guide you.
If you need more help there are templates out there that ask these same questions. financial worksheets that you just plug the forecasts into.
banks love it when you try to pre-qualify yourself for their banking products. (it makes them more money and gives them more chances to sell you other services)

just because you are going to school doesn't mean you cannot get 3/4 of the skills you need for that job you are applying to right after you graduate. It just means researching entry level jobs that you will disclose when you take it that you are only there for x skills for x time and then leaving. If you are lucky they will ask to see your career plan and offer to help you with it. If not you can at least get what you came for. (agency work can be a great asset for this but make sure to get a reference for each place and not from the agency).

rastsan

8 baller, Death Wizard,
Trophies
Website
rastsan.wordpress.com
XP
Country
Canada
ontario canada yes 9 months here. its called a baby bonus but its next to nothing.
but that doesn't mean you cannot plan ahead. At home work with ambiguous deadlines. having space for your or her mom (now grandma)(I am assuming you are male). Being more than okay with having grandma stay for 6 months... but also knowing she will LEAVE(grandma). that scheduled every two week day off where you just sleep... but not at home with the kid... cause they don't let you sleep....and the same for the mother but once a week for them.
Open honest communication. if you do not have that before the kid(s) prepare for some crazy nonsense fights. Oh and to make them feel really good about how they look as much as possible whenever possible. Yes just having the time to take a shower and not feel like a mom is a real fight stopper. You will still be in love with each other even with the kid so going on dates without said child is still a VERY good idea.

I had this one couple come into the shop last year she was due in a week. No clothes no equipment.... nothing. They both thought that she would be going back to work after 6 months... man did the other staff members and I get a good laugh from that. Best part they weren't planning on having a baby sitter.
the most hilarious 3 hours I had on a long while. no diapers, no breast pump, no creams, no changing table, they hadn't baby proofed the place yet, they were getting baby food with meat in it that had to be chewed, before the baby was born and months before the child had actual teeth... just wow....
no kids seat for the car. the look of panic in their eyes as they realized how much they hadn't done and HAD to do was just priceless....
I kept having to repeat she will be working part time... right... until she finishes breast feeding.
you have got a good babysitter right?

so hilarious...

Which is why I like people who think to ask or plan ahead of time before they commit to extremely expensive time consuming things.

I really rambled again... time to get the docs to take the meds down a bit....

dAVID_

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Hello GBATemp,

I go by the name of Posghetti or Pos on GBATemp, but my family and friends like to call me Elijah. I'm here making this thread tonight because I am in need of advice or tips that anyone may have for me for college, whether you're a freshman in college, still in college or done with college. I will be a graduating senior next year (WOO CLASS OF 2K17!) and have had no experience with college what so ever. I have visited campus' already and have talked to a few advisers and students from each campus I've visited so I some what have a small glimpse of the "college life". All tips/advice are welcomed in my world, just be truthful, formal and keep it adult-like is all I ask :lol:

I am a hard working, dedicated student and have always put education before anything else, even family events. I've had a cumulative GPA of 3.2 nearly every semester since freshman year in High School averaging to about a 3.0/3.1 accumulative GPA (which is pretty good) I have never took the ACT because here where I live, it's not required, but I did take the SAT however and initially scored a 1035. I decided to re-take the SAT (for free since I get 2 waivers) and scored 1140! 530 in Math and 610 in English & Writing respectively. I plan to major in Computer Science (4 yrs) and Computer Programming (2 yrs) upon entering College and just stay that way for now until I require a higher level of education in my field.

GBATemp is really the only online place I know that I feel comfortable talking about this stuff with since there are a lot of great people on the temp despite all the negative trolls who make the temp seem like a bad place when it's actually full of great people and valuable information about our handhelds/consoles that help us all understand more about how they work and what we can do to them.

Also just wanted to say that I've been using this site to help me better understand subjects that I am troubled with at times. I'm pretty sure a number of people know about this site already but some don't, so feel free to check it out! It's for all grades and all ages and it's very informational so I would keep it bookmarked if I were you. The best part about it all? IT'S FREEE. #PiracyIsARight

Thanks for reading, best regards,
- Posghetti
I don't think this post belongs in the edge of the forum. It should be in off-topic chat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

eof

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Wish I could use that for video editing lol