Need a program to automatically move files?

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by gifi4, Nov 17, 2011.

Nov 17, 2011
  1. gifi4
    OP

Member gifi4 How am I a 'New Member'?

Australia
    Hey guys, currently Google Chrome's downloads automatically save in a folder named "Downloads". I like it that way but my pc has trouble with this and it takes a minute or so to load a folder, I was wondering if there is a batch file or a program in which it can move all files from that downloads folder to another folder whenever I start this program or batch file? Any ideas?

2. Originality

Member Originality Chibi-neko

United Kingdom
    You can either code it yourself or ask someone to do it for you. It's a very basic script and would only need 1-3 lines (I guess).

That aside, there must be a reason that your folder takes so long to open. Mine loads instantly and I've got thousands of files in there. Maybe your prefetch is disabled or the thumbnails database is fragmented or your HDD is dying or your AV is trying to scan it all when opening or you're running XP. Those are all the possibilities I can think of, and I'm sure there are many more.

3. gifi4
    OP

Australia
    Ehh well I am running XP Professional SP 3...
    So why does that happen with XP?
    Well, I still haven't gotten around to learning how to code, (school, games etc.) so anyone with coding experience willing to help me out?
    I don't exactly have much to offer except a thanks, so I understand if no one will.

4. Tom Bombadildo

Contributor Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip
    United States
    It really is very simple, just google how to copy files with cmd prompt and do it that way.

5. Berthenk

Member Berthenk Epitome of Awesomeness

Netherlands
    Option Wrench -> Options -> Under the Hood -> Downloads -> Download location.

6. gifi4
    OP

Australia
    I believe you misunderstood me, I like the files downloading into my Downloads folder but it makes it hard to access, so I want a way to move the files so the folder that I move them to isn't Chrome's download folder.

7. Dter ic

Member Dter ic ~

United Kingdom
    I guess Download Mover is what you're asking for.

8. Originality

Member Originality Chibi-neko

United Kingdom
    I get the feeling that if you moved all of it to another folder (e.g. C:\temp\) and tried to open that, it'd be just as slow as your current downloads folder. I can't remember if it was XP or Vista that changed the way folder indexing worked (I think Vista) that made it become able to load a folder almost instantly no matter how many files are inside (although it'd still take a while to load all the thumbnails).

Consider creating subfolders to move your files into, or even deleting the files you no longer need.

9. Cyan

Global Moderator Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

France
    I'm on XP SP2 and don't have any problem opening a folder with a lot of files. (I don't use thumbnail preview and removed video preview to prevent accessing all videos when opening the folder).
    It's a little slower when the content is big (lot of GB in one file), but not when there are a lot of little files.
    It looks like it's accessing it on the HDD before showing the folder's content.

You don't want to sort your downloads to different folders, you just want to move all your files to another, same, folder?
    Then yes, just a batch file on your desktop will do it.
    move c:\path\*.* E:\new_path\

If you want to sort the files according to file extension (only? that's cheap), then you can try Download mover like Dter ic suggested.

You said you like to download everything in the same folder so I won't propose you my add-on (but it's for firefox anyway, so I guess it won't help you).

10. sweenish

Member sweenish GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    slow folder is slow, and you just want do the same thing somewhere else?

i'd follow the suggestions about sorting into sub-folders and deleting stuff you don't need. run a defrag, clean out the registry.

for my two cents, i've never had this issue whether it was DOS 6.22 or windows 7. i've used everything in between on the consumer side.

11. gifi4
    OP

Australia
    I believe that because Google Chrome is set to auto download files there, it makes it slow to load, as I have folders with 500GB+ and many files yet no slowness...

12. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    No, chrome downloading there has nothing to do with it.

It has to do with your OS scanning the files first. This is done for two reasons.
    1 - Your OS is trying to generate thumbnails for the media (pictures, video, music with album art embedded).
    2 - Your virus scanner is scanning everything before you can access it.

There's also two reasons why other folders won't have this issue even though they might have the same total filesize.
    1 - There's not nearly as many media files of the same type.
    2 - There's overhead per file. Opening a folder containing a single 5GB .rar file is way faster than opening a 5GB folder containing a bunch of small JPEG images.

Solution: Organize your stuff into sub-folders as you were told.