Need a Media Player -- Recommendations?

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by gizmo_gal, Apr 1, 2010.

Apr 1, 2010
  1. gizmo_gal
    OP

Member gizmo_gal QWEEN of the RadioActive Force!!!

United States
    BESIDES the DS or PSP. I haven't gotten a GP2X Wiz yet, but its still on the list of things to get.
    Can anyone recommend me a PPMP (PMP [​IMG]). It doesn't have to play games.

I'm looking to spend no more than $160 bucks, all told and I'm open to suggestions. I haven't been following Tech News in about a year, I'm sure I've missed alot.

I want a lot of features (at least 5). Its mostly gonna play MP3's and Anime episodes, but I also want to be able to read e books on it. I dont care about Internet access, if its there, fine. If it isn't, thats why I have a laptop and to a lesser extent a DS. Blue Tooth is wasted on me, I wont pay extra for it.

I need at least 40 gigs if the hard drive is fixed. It'll be better if there is a set hard drive but it also allows me to use memory cards. USB compatibilty is desired.

I dont know where to start...Its hard, trying to get back into the Tech realm...but I want to go ahead and get something. Its been a LONG time now...I check Amazon and deal extreme but nothing caught my eye. I know there are a lot of PMP devices on the market, a few years ago there were a few available online only from China or Japan that were said to be pretty good and cost about $80 bucks but I cant remember what it was called...something about a Fish maybe? I dont know...

2. Veho

Global Moderator Veho The man who cried "Ni".

Croatia
    Dingoo?

3. gizmo_gal
    OP

Member gizmo_gal QWEEN of the RadioActive Force!!!

United States
    I checked out the Dingoo and while doing so, found something called the Gemei and it looks interesting too. I like the Price factor of these two. Thanks.

Any thing else?

4. soulx

Member soulx GBAtemp Legend

Canada
    Zune HD. It doesn't have an external speaker, though. Should be relatively cheap if you find it while it's on sale.

The iPod Touch does but I just hate anything iPod related.

5. Linkiboy

Member Linkiboy GBAtemp Testing Area

United States
    iPod touch will do what you want and more but the high GB capacities are probably out of your price range

6. Hedgehogofchaos

Member Hedgehogofchaos GBAtemp Regular

Canada
  7. Overlord Nadrian

Banned Overlord Nadrian Banned

Belgium
    The Dingoo's probably the best thing for you. It's an amazing piece of hardware, with superb support from both the Dingoo team and the community.

8. Sterling

Member Sterling GBAtemp's Silver Hero

United States
    It's very fragile though. I bent over (not even tight pants either), and the screen looked like a spiderweb.

9. Mewgia

Member Mewgia drifter

United States
  10. popoffka

Member popoffka GBAtemp Fan

Latvia
    Dingoo is good, but I've heard it has got not so good sound so maybe it's not the best choice for a media player.

11. Sumea

Member Sumea Disco Ninja Frog

Finland
    It may be because I have not used much else - but at time many years before, when I was using a generic Creative player, having it did blow my world:

iPod (Any, nano, classic, touch)

Well, for Media they are quite excellent. iTunes is minor minus (if you get used to it it is a plus, my music is better managed in library than in raw file tree)

for you Classic would be best, just that the screen may be so-so for anime (Ok; I bought a 32gig iPod touch for anime, I did watch two series with it - after two first months I have used the damn thing to all same as old one; Music and podcasts - dang)

I like iPod menu and management, but the fact that it really does not support (neither does iTunes, NOR it does convert them right) many video formats, that is a minus.

Well, iPod is fine dandy, but I also am saying that what you are seeking for there very well may (and probably IS) better media players - but I am not aware of them. I am just saying that generally iPod is one fine portable device (okay, Apple cancern, Price points, locked to iTunes aside...)

12. BoxShot

Member BoxShot Chiyo-chan :3

United States
  13. fgghjjkll

Member fgghjjkll GBATemp MegaMan

Australia
    How about a cheap PMP from china for like....5 bucks?

14. Anakir

Member Anakir Project: Melee

Canada
    Are you hating on iPod Touch for the fact that everyone has one? Because that's a bad reason to hate it. I wouldn't want to use it because many have it, but doesn't mean I hate it. I'm probably going to get it in the end anyways because you can do so many things with it.

Anyways, I'd also suggest iPod Touch.

If it was purely for listening to music - Sandisk Sansa Clip+. Its an amazing MP3 player. I bought it for my friend as a gift. She loves it to death. Extremely light weight. VERY portable because of that. Very easy to use. Has a clip that doesn't stick out and it clips on very nicely practically anywhere - much better than putting it in your pocket. It also has a microSD slot that supports up to 32gb. It's the best budget MP3 player and its quite cheap. Just buy the 2gb one and buy a microSD.

15. playallday

Member playallday Group: GBAtemp Ghost

Canada
    I'd to for a Rockboxable Sansa. They aren't much, I'm selling mine for like $40 now. [​IMG]