Homebrew NDSMail connection help + general annoyances

Sledgehogg

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Denmark
I want to use my Nintendo for sending and receiving e-mail. I looked and looked around for an e-mail client, since there was tons of homebrew IRC programs, and even facebook and twitter programs. I finally found this thing called NDSmail, which (like practically any DS homebrew program) hasn't received an update in over 10 years...

Anyways I downloaded it from the guy who made it on this blogDOTbronto-onlineDOTde/ page, put it on my original DSTT card,
ran it, and then this youtuDOtbe/veEDHbNxO3M happened(sorry for the not-good setup).

Now don't start telling me it's a problem with my card or my internet. My internet configuration is just an open network (no security) called "It's free real estate". My card is a perfectly fine DSTT card, that has always worked fine.
And most importantly: Other homebrew software such as DSOrganize and CLIRC(irc chat program) works completely fine with the same setup.

I've also seen people write that i should configure my wifi settings in a regular wifi compatible DS game. I did this both with a real physical cartridge game, and also with a game on my flashcard. Still didn't work.

Maybe NDSMail just doesn't work anymore? I saw a thread somewhere that said that it didn't work with the DS Lite at all(the one i have), and that it didn't work with newer versions of the phat DS. But if that is the case, is there any alternative way of reading and sending mail?

I can't use the DS-Browser file on my flashcard to do so, since it wants the official ram expansion + the original Browser cartridge to work properly, but i only have the Slot-2 EZflash V 3in1 ram expansion, which only works as a ram expansion with GBA ExpLoader, and GBA ExpLoader can only use my Slot-2 card as a ram expansion, if I have soft-reset on and no matter what I do, I can't get soft reset to work on my DSTT card! They say it's L+R+A+B+X+Y, but it just doesn't work! Doesn't work with homebrew OR official DS games. I have tried with both TTmenu and YSmenu, and it works on none of them. People say i need to enable soft reset(by soft reset I mean going back to the menu after entering a game or program) in the system config file, but I don't have a file by that name or anything similar. do they mean the .ini file? I couldn't find anything about soft reset in there either.

If any of you know a solution to my problem, or another NDS emailing program I'm unaware of, please respond!

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Maybe NDSMail just doesn't work anymore? I saw a thread somewhere that said that it didn't work with the DS Lite at all(the one i have), and that it didn't work with newer versions of the phat DS. But if that is the case, is there any alternative way of reading and sending mail?
While unlikely that only some wifi cards (at the time) were supported by homebrew, it's not impossible...
...what's more likely is that your POP3 server is gratuitously requiring encrypted connections or some other gimmick not implemented in NDSmail

I can't use the DS-Browser file on my flashcard to do so, since it wants the official ram expansion + the original Browser cartridge to work properly, but i only have the Slot-2 EZflash V 3in1 ram expansion
There is a patched version of the browser to support the 3in1, though I don't know if it automatically selects RAM mode on the card
(and for the same reason as above, as well as the inability for most website creators to understand the value of a megabyte, I doubt it will be too helpful for your case anyway)

Third option: DSLinux? :P (at least it will support the full 16 MB!)

Reactions: Sledgehogg

Sledgehogg

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Denmark
While unlikely that only some wifi cards (at the time) were supported by homebrew, it's not impossible...
...what's more likely is that your POP3 server is gratuitously requiring encrypted connections or some other gimmick not implemented in NDSmail
I don't think that's the issue(well, it might be later, idk), cause i can't even connect to my open network in the first place. But i can connect with other types of homebrew like DSOrganize and CLIRC, and other games as well. But whenever i try to connect in NDSmail, it just stays at authenticating, untill it eventually fails. this is shown in the video i tried to link, but apparently, i can't share links.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I don't recall homebrew not working with a router where commercial games do before. It is not impossible, especially if it was made with an earlier library or something, but I am not aware of it and ndsmail was not quite a compile and run away job (stuck around for a few updates and all that).

As others mentioned though even if you do get it working with your wifi it is unlikely to connect to most modern email servers -- even back then it was considered poor form to lower the amount of security required (though plenty, even the big providers, still did it). Today it is very different. To make it work you would then want to set up a local email server that pulls from your email providers and then you can connect back with your DS. I have not done such a thing in many years so I don't know what goes for it nowadays (closest I get is stuff like http://davmail.sourceforge.net/ ), and frankly if you have such a server setup or capability you have better choices.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Lol Veho goatse device! +1