OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hey

I've never used a DS Emulator, just heard about them.. but someone told me there's no sound... is this right, and if so is it still the case? I pay be purchasing R4 DS soon, but I may not if that's true. Thanks a lot.

Dark Wolf

z0ner

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey

I've never used a DS Emulator, just heard about them.. but someone told me there's no sound... is this right, and if so is it still the case? I pay be purchasing R4 DS soon, but I may not if that's true. Thanks a lot.

Dark Wolf

Man, where do I start. First of all, the R4 DS is a pass through - it's not an emulator. Secondly, to date it plays every ROM exactly the same as the originals - including sound
rolleyes.gif
Sure PC emulators are very limited in their ROM compatibility - if that's the route you want to go you'll be waiting for a long time.

Read up on the R4 DS and throw down for it. You'll be glad you did.

Killermech

Cookie Monster
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
The sound is worse than the actual graphical emulation in most emus atm.
And even if the sound worked perfectly, most games are about 0-30% playable.

In other words, buy that R4 cause it's pretty cheap and the long wait for a fully working emu is not worth it at the cost of the R4.

Dark Wolf

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
z0ner said:
the R4 DS is a pass through - it's not an emulator.

I don't know what a pass through is, .. but, I believe R4 DS plays NDS ROMS amongst other things, yes?

z0nerRead up on the R4 DS and throw down for it. You'll be glad you did.

I did read up on it. I'm somewhat of a novice, but I think I understood enough. Basically I buy the main R4 DS package and a micro SD card, I stick the firmware, moonshell folders etc from the CD or latest from r4ds.com onto the root of the micro SD card, as well as ROMs, movies, mp3s, whatever I want.. And I can play them. Is that right? I mean..if R4 DS plays ROMs it's an emulator, isn't it? o-O

As long as it'll play ROMs and video files I don't care if it's an emulator or a pass through, lol.

Oh, and I don't quite understand... on the CD will be the firmware and Moonshell to copy to the SD Card etc, but what part of R4 is it that plays the ROMs? As I understand it, Moonshell doesn't.. because it's just a media player. I'm.. kinda confused over this.

Thanks.. I really wanna buy it, but I want to be sure it can do what I want it to first.

Sefi

Trophies
XP
Country
The R4 is not an emulator, it simply enables data (roms, homebrew programs, whatever) to be read, loaded, and run by the DS. After you've copied the firmware files and .nds rom files to the main directory of your microSD card, you put the microSD card in your R4, put it in your DS and turn it on. It will boot to a main menu with 3 options: Games, Multimedia, and Boot Slot-2. So if you are to play a game, you pick Games; if you want to play an mp3 you select multimedia; if you want to boot a slot-2 cart you pick that. Simple enough. You asked what part of the R4 plays roms. Keep in mind the R4 is just enabling the loading of your roms, it's not an emulator. Think of it kind of like a modchip I guess. As long as you put the firmware files and .nds roms in the main directory of your microSD card, you will now be able to load any .nds rom from the Games menu after you boot up your DS with the R4 inserted.

I just recently got my own R4 and it rocks
smile.gif
Even if one day, a few years from now DS emulation is perfect on a PC, using a mouse to emulate the touch screen will never be the same as using a stylus. Keep that in mind.

Dark Wolf

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Wow thanks a lot for your help. And yeah, I know, I'd never want to play DS games on a PC, it's just not the same. I'm really excited now, I've ordered it from eBay and am awaiting its arrival *sits by the door*

Wait.. im not sending payment til tomorrow XD *... still sits by the door*

andrew505

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
as far as i know an emulator is somthing that emulates or "recreates" or acts like the system. a rom is the file which is then played on an emulator or system (depending on your set up). When your using an r4 ds, there is no emulator because you have the system. theres no need to emulate anything, r4 ds just lets you load up the roms on your system.

and a little of note, i recentrtly got my r4 ds and it's the best purchase i've made. It lets you do so much more with ur ds, and really saves you a lot of money in the long run. Anyways i suggest getting it.

Knab

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
i dont get paid by anybody. i just think the SC-ONE is better.

didnt the SC-one have problems saving there for awhile? dont know if it still does as i wont touch anything from the supercard team, i tried a slot2 card of theres and it totaly sucked, there were a bunch of games i couldnt play wifi or wireless on cause it saved to slow.

i have a r4 clone, you know the m3 simply lol anyways it works great and i dont think it ever had a problem.

TLSpartan

Kills threads
Trophies
XP
Country
You just have to set some of the savetypes manually. Someone said in this forum, I dont who it was but they said that the R4 manually chooses the highest save type. That uses up more of you precious card space.

Knab

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
You just have to set some of the savetypes manually. Someone said in this forum, I dont who it was but they said that the R4 manually chooses the highest save type. That uses up more of you precious card space.

true but i would rather have it save 512kb per save and have it save right, and on a 2gb card im not hurting for space.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    Guy doesnt know wtf hes talking about half the time
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    @SylverReZ that reminds me that my friend sells CRTs he gets cheap or free for hundreds of dollars. people are dumb
    +1
    And is incredibly annoying.
    man I just washed my shoes and they look exactly the same as before I washed them :|
    luckily they didn't fall apart
    Some CRTs are very much worth the price
    i used to go out to the recycling center every couple weeks and look at the crts and other electronics people would drop off. Usually screens were broken or severely scratched from being tossed around. Did find a good one here and there, but never anything like a 1080i widescreen crt.
    Or a good contition 40" Sony Trini that weighs 300 lbs. lol
    Literally 300 lbs. lolol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I have a few of those boat anchors in my basement I tried giving away but no one wanted them, So anyone close to Columbus, Ohio area that wants them, (26", 2x 19") please come get, for free.
    Dont know anyone wants those smaller ones. Most are after larger sizes and the kinda top of the line models
    Motion handling and input lag on those things destroy plasmas, led, oled
    I had some really nice CRTs I should've kept
    now I have all lcd
    one in particular I regret getting rid of oh well :|
    the Sonys and stuff I don't care about
    and used LCD are hard to sell I can imagine.. not worth much
    @SylverReZ where do u lurk
  • a_username_that_isnt_cool @ a_username_that_isnt_cool:
    Is it piracy if it was released for free? Not in my opinion, but I also think it's not piracy if buying it isn't owning it, and it's not piracy if you can't buy it from the original creators anymore.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Free release can have loopholes where they still make money through ads
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    sigh
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @a_username_that_isnt_cool, could you change your username?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i guess not...
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: i guess not...