NDS Lite battery seems low

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by solofroglet, Dec 23, 2009.

1. solofroglet
    OP

solofroglet Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 21, 2009
    United States
    I recently got an onyx black Nintendo DS Lite, and I decided to test out its battery life. On my Acekard 2i, I played Professor Layton and the Curious Village for 8 hours and 10 minutes, and I played Pokemon Diamond for 1 hour and 15 minutes, both on the lowest brightness, and the light changed from green to red. Nintendo says that the light changes from green to red at around 30%. This means that the ds would have lasted for around 14 hours before dying. Nintendo says that the battery lasts 15 to 19 hours. Why do I have a reduced battery life? Could it be because i'm using a flash cart?

Has anyone else experienced this reduced battery life problem?

2. Aeladya

Aeladya *mistressOFtheCLOW

Nov 13, 2004
    United States
    Idaho Falls, ID
    IIRC Flash carts drain battery's a lot faster than actual games do, so the answer would most likely be yes.

3. MarkDarkness

MarkDarkness Deliverator

Dec 17, 2009
    Poland
    According to GBAtemp's reviews, the difference is not very substantial. Usually like half an hour.

4. solofroglet
    OP

solofroglet Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 21, 2009
    United States
    Exactly! And I wasn't playing any intensive games or anything.

5. Hatsu

Hatsu Someone's been killing, eh?

Banned
    Oct 19, 2009
    __________________ Warn: 50%
    That is just what Nintendo wants you to think! [​IMG]

6. DanTheManMS

DanTheManMS aka Ricochet Otter

Jun 2, 2007
    United States
    Georgia
    Flash carts use more power than regular carts, and 3D games use more power than non-3D ones. Screen brightness, use of wifi, and audio volume also have an effect on just how long the battery lasts.

Personally I would kill for 14 hours of battery life. On my DS Phat with a slot-2 Supercard, I'm lucky to get 4.

7. ProtoKun7

ProtoKun7 GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 3

Global Moderator
    Jan 3, 2009
    Gallifrey
    Some flashcarts use battery power more than others. CycloDS has a Battery Saver mode, though I don't know how much of a difference that actually makes; I've not thoroughly tested it.

8. Leo Cantus

Leo Cantus So zeta slow!

May 23, 2009
    England
    at least you dont have a psp, which has like 1 minute

9. ProtoKun7

Global Moderator
    Jan 3, 2009
    Gallifrey
    [​IMG] The PSP 4000 is apparently going to double that.

10. outgum

outgum Pokemanz Master

Sep 22, 2009
    New Zealand
    Hamilton, New Zealand
    Lol.
    ^This

11. Rising_Dragon

Rising_Dragon Member

Newcomer
    Nov 30, 2009
    United States
    So... in a more serious line of thought.

Where can we buy higher capacity batteries?
    I saw some on DealExtreme but the reviews state they have questionable capacity.
    I want to get a 2000mah capacity for my DSL but no idea where to get it reliably.

12. Jakob95

Jakob95 I am the Avatar

Suspended
    Jan 15, 2009
    United States
    New York City
    I suggest you buy the regular battery for the Nintendo DS lite the one that Nintendo made.

13. MarkDarkness

MarkDarkness Deliverator

Dec 17, 2009
    Poland
    Using alternative batteries is not safe... you should really avoid it.

14. ProtoKun7

Global Moderator
    Jan 3, 2009
    Gallifrey
    Yeah, I hear a lot of the unofficial high capacity batteries actually get drained very quickly and the battery life ends up becoming 1/3 of what it should be or something.

15. OSW

OSW Wii King

Former Staff
    Oct 30, 2006
    I've had my DS for nearly 3 years, and my battery life has seen substantial reduction from how it originally was.

It used to last a couple of days, playing a couple of hours a day, but now it barely lasts a good days playing.

I bought an unofficial 2000mah battery and it works but it's not much better.

16. ProtoKun7

Global Moderator
    Jan 3, 2009
    Gallifrey
    I still charge mine overnight, every night (unless I fall asleep before doing so, and then I charge it the following morning as soon as I wake up)

17. scrtmstr

scrtmstr GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 20, 2009
    Netherlands
    the Netherregions!
    you said you just got it recently, which means that the battery doesn't have it's full capacity yet. Give it a couple of weeks and it will hit the claimed time. The flashcard doesn't drain that much battery, wifi and screen brightness have a lot more effect then just a little flashcard.

Posts merged

you said you just got it recently, which means that the battery doesn't have it's full capacity yet. Give it a couple of weeks and it will hit the claimed time. The flashcard doesn't drain that much battery, wifi and screen brightness have a lot more effect then just a little flashcard.

18. XWolf

XWolf GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 9, 2009
    I have another method of keeping playing...

I have a Gomadic powerpack - designed for my HTC phone but basically it's several DS charges worth and powers anything usb. Good usb to DSL cable is only a couple of quid. The pack itself is smaller than the DSL.