nds games not being dubbed?

Discussion in 'NDS - Console and Game Discussions' started by sleeping_forest, Sep 7, 2008.

Sep 7, 2008
  1. sleeping_forest
    OP

Newcomer sleeping_forest Member

Canada
    *sighs* every time i play a game i just lose interest cause well.. the dubs suck. like example the professor layton and the curious village... the accents are so bad and the voice over too... i really wish that would be undubbed. i think game companies should honestly consider making games with option of using original language or like the dubbed one... does anyone else think so? also is there even any games where the dub sounds better than the original? for nds.

2. Gore

Member Gore GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    I really don't understand the big deal with these things
    People faithfully do undubs even when they don't know the undubbed language..
    The voices aren't too bad.
    Maybe this has to do with wapanese stuff, which is beyond me.

3. Joe88

Member Joe88 [λ]

United States
    I agree

same goes for anime
    I mean wtf, you would rather read words on the bottom of the screen in tiny print instead of actually listening and understanding whats is being said
    [​IMG]

4. sleeping_forest
    OP

Newcomer sleeping_forest Member

Canada
    well for some people that is true but i can understand japanese cause i grew up with my uncle and he spoke jap and english but i can't read japanese. just english and some chinese.

5. Seraph

Member Seraph GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    The voices in Layton seemed pretty good to me, but I'd rather watch and read the text than listen to some voices that are annoying, don't fit the character, not what the character said, and most of the time don't even sync with the character's mouth.

6. Giangsta

Member Giangsta GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    Totally agree with Seraph, i'd rather read accurate text and listen to original voices that sync with animation then have to put up with bad english voices which dont match up with the animation.

Only anime i ever watched fully dubbed was DBZ, i prefer the dubbed voices over the JP ones

7. Kaos

Member Kaos Good show!

Australia
    I prefer subbed anime, but I don't mind dubs in games.

8. enarky

Member enarky GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Doesn't have anything to do with being "Wapanese", or whatever.

When I watch a movie that was created by Germans, shot on German locations directed by a German director giving directions in German language to German actors speaking German then I goddamn want to listen to what those German actors have said in the language this movie was planned and executed in.

A translation is always an abstraction on the original intent and I want this abstraction to be as small as possible. By watching a movie with subtitles I at least can grasp what the actors and the director intended by listening to their act, even though I don't understand the language they talk in. Expression of emotions is the same everywhere - I will get that. In a dubbed movie, on the other hand, not only the actual dialog gets translated and thus changed, but also the voices of actual actors, thus adding another level of abstraction. Not only the voices get replaced, but dialog in another language has to be fit to the movement of an actors lips, thus altering the original even more

Think of a translation of a movie or a game like a game of telephone (or chinese whispers). First dialog gets translated -> then it gets changed to fit lip sync -> then a voice acting director adds thoughts -> and last, but not least a voice actor acts out his impression of the actual dialog. And on each iteration information gets lost.

By watching a movie with subtitles the only layer between me and the original movie is the translation of the subtitles and my reading skills. Not some stupid voice actor who may or may not be capable of speaking like the original actor or a director who has had nothing to do with the original movie and may or may not interpret scenes differently from the original director. Chance is that a dub will be very good, but there's chance that it will be a major disaster, too. Bad thing is, you won't know that it was the actual dub that was bad - you just see that you didn't like the movie. Subtitles can be bad, of course, too - but there's much less opportunity to fuck them up.

To get back to the original topic: it is the same with computer games that were created in a foreign language. If there is voice acting I want it in the language it was intended to be.

NOTE: I am German myself. If you are going to argue that I of course will understand German movies because it's my native language than you most likely haven't understood what I wanted to say (most likely due to my bad english skills). Please re-read this post, replace the word "German" with "French" this time and think about it again.

9. begedinnikola

Newcomer begedinnikola Member

Croatia
    i think it also has something to do with where you live. I'm from croatia, and over here, we dont dubb anything. Every foreign movie on our TV channels is with subtitles (that's how i learned english). Because of that, we're more used to subtitles, and prefer them to dubbing. Off course, if the voice overs are good, i wont mind, but in most cases, i prefer subtitles. One of the rare exceptions to this are the FF XII voice overs on the PS2.

10. samuraibunny

Member samuraibunny GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I agree, but then again, I AM an avid debater on the subject, subs vs. dubs. [​IMG]

But in the case of DS games, I don't really care as much. I think that the voices for Prof. Layton fits the mood, because it kind of reminds of Sherlock Holmes with their British accent. Wait... Sherlock Holmes IS from London right...?

11. ojsinnerz.

Member ojsinnerz. Damned

Canada

To those who say "Dub is good as the original", watch this, and tell me that.

There's more than just "Subtitles". American and Canadian studios butcher up the original dialouge, and censor all the things they find, "Inappropriate". Of course, it makes sense, but some of the American Studios take it to the extreme. For example, 4kids over there. They censored guns with this..... Weird thing, and removed cigars from a character, because he was smoking them.

I certainly don't mean there are no good dubs. It's just that the dubbed versions are so lacking, compared to the original. Most of dubs can't even have the characters pronounced right. In Ouren high dub, a character named Hikaru, which is pronounced Hi-Kar-ru in the original, is now pronounced Hi-kuru. Kira? It's originally Ki-ra in original. Now, it's Kii-ra, which makes it sound like something off of Mexico (No offense). They cut off half the swearing, and make it much more "Kid-friendly". Even so, they rate it over 14, yet, they never say anything over "damn it".

12. da_head

Member da_head A dying dream..

Canada
    99% of the time: subs>dubs

though the dubbing of luminous arc wasn't too bad imo

13. ojsinnerz.

Member ojsinnerz. Damned

Canada
    Agreed. I actually liked the Dub for this game. Hopefully, it'll be the same with the 2nd game.....

14. Batman55

Member Batman55 GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    I find it ridiculous that people can prefer subs over dubs in anime. Why wouldn't you watch it in a language you understand? Instead they decide to read subtitles at the bottom of the screen for hours on end. But I guess people will always do it because according to the internet anything Japanese is infinitely better than English.

You know what I also have wondered? Do Japanese people find Japanese game voices to be worse than American ones? Like will they attack the horrible Japanese cast and moan when there isn't an English track option?

Personally, I prefer English voices to Japanese ones in whatever I watch. Not only can I perfectly understand it, but I just think they sound better. For example, Goku in DBZ sounds like an old grandma with the Japanese VO, but in the English, he sounds much better. And I like the voices in TWEWY, I think the Japanese ones sound too girly and whiny.

15. ojsinnerz.

Member ojsinnerz. Damned

Canada
    Read my post.

16. Carnivean

Member Carnivean STARMAN

United Kingdom
    You can adapt to reading while watching, it comes naturally after a while. And see the horrible videos in this thread and go look up some 'love hina' clips, the US voices for that made me cringe constantly.

17. Batman55

Member Batman55 GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    But still, it's the main storyline and character interactions that count, not the fact that they aren't swearing or have different names.

18. Seraph

Member Seraph GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Censoring and localization wasn't the only problem stated though. Why don't we watch a movie in a language that we understand? We can understand the movie by watching the subtitles the same way. People don't watch a movie/play because the acting is terrible do they? I'd say the dubbing in MGS4 was great, and even the lip syncing seemed right most of the time. But, for example, the English dubbed version of Azumanga Daioh had Osaka played with a Texan accent because of the whole Kansai dialect. But the whole joke is they nicknamed her "Osaka" even though she doesn't act/talk like the stereotype.

19. samuraibunny

Member samuraibunny GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Lol. I guess this is yet another point that supports the subs debate.

It was funny to see the One Piece video with Helmeppo holding some gun thing. [​IMG] ... Then I stopped it.

20. shadowkillerdrag

Member shadowkillerdrag GBAtemp Regular

United States
    What was the first video from o.O
    it looks interesting