OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
QUOTE said:
Asian research boss says that resources are already being put into the development of motion tech successor

Microsoft’s Natal is still a good seven or eight months away from launch, but a research director for the platform holder has already confirmed that work has begun on the successor to the technology.

“When we invent something first like Natal, while we have a researcher working with the product group for the first version we already have a researcher thinking about the second version down the road,” Microsoft's Research Asia department director Hsiao-Wuen Hon told The Sydney Morning Herald, as spotted by *****.

“We certainly hope we will continue to be holding that technology.”

Hon also added that Microsoft should have ideally been a leader – and not a follower – in the motion control sector, stating: “Looking back I can say we probably should have done more in the consumer space.”

Source

Richy Freeway

Trophies
XP
Country
superrob said:
Nice job microsoft... ditching your own technology. Then wait a long time to release it to the public while everyone knows a new successor is on its way...
*sigh*

So in your world, R&D should just focus on one product at a time and not work on anything else until that's finished.

If it was like that in the real world, we'd all still be playing games on our SNES.

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
Richy Freeway said:
superrob said:
Nice job microsoft... ditching your own technology. Then wait a long time to release it to the public while everyone knows a new successor is on its way...
*sigh*

So in your world, R&D should just focus on one product at a time and not work on anything else until that's finished.

If it was like that in the real world, we'd all still be playing games on our SNES.

Huhn? Excuse me while I check the product gap between SNES and N64, about 3-4 years wasn't it? Plenty of time for a new successor to be designed. Also he's not saying R&D should be on one thing at a time, just not start the successor to something waaay before the release (when there's still time to improve the current project)

I can understand something like this starting a month or 2 before initial release but almost a year? What the hell? Why not put more researchers onto improving the tech already being used? Seriously this is similar to the logic that Sega used when they developed the bomb that was the 32X they released it in the US when the Saturn was already out in Japan and we all know how that went.

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
so i guess that means they know it will fail before they even release it. slow as usual m$ we've all known that for ages now
rofl.gif

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Richy Freeway said:
superrob said:
*sigh*

I agree with this.

All successful companies do this, they need to keep up with technology, once they figured it out they can then spend time on making such tech cheaper.

ZeWarrior

TheWarrior
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
Overlord Nadrian said:
What the hell, Natal's not even released yet and they're already making a successor. Seems like they know it'll be shit.

You do know every company does this, right? Obviously they just keep it to themselves so people won't have these kinds of reactions. For all we know, Natal is probably already done and they're waiting to release it for some unknown reasons.

Seraph

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Jamstruth said:
Richy Freeway said:
superrob said:
*sigh*

Huhn? Excuse me while I check the product gap between SNES and N64, about 3-4 years wasn't it? Plenty of time for a new successor to be designed. Also he's not saying R&D should be on one thing at a time, just not start the successor to something waaay before the release (when there's still time to improve the current project)

I can understand something like this starting a month or 2 before initial release but almost a year? What the hell? Why not put more researchers onto improving the tech already being used? Seriously this is similar to the logic that Sega used when they developed the bomb that was the 32X they released it in the US when the Saturn was already out in Japan and we all know how that went.
The question is if they are already finished with Natal and are just manufacturing them to release for the holiday season. Why would they keep working on it so close to release that they might not make it in time(especially when they have more competition)? Other games and consoles probably have had as much development time before their previous versions even released.

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
Seraph said:
Jamstruth said:
Richy Freeway said:
superrob said:
*sigh*

The question is if they are already finished with Natal and are just manufacturing them to release for the holiday season. Why would they keep working on it so close to release that they might not make it in time(especially when they have more competition)? Other games and consoles probably have had as much development time before their previous versions even released.

After I wrote the post I thought about it and realised that they probably needed time to send the SDK out to developers so they have some games on hand, they're probably still tweaking the thing slightly though to get more accuracy out of it.

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ZeWarrior said:
For all we know, Natal is probably already done and they're waiting to release it for some unknown reasons.
Two reasons:

1. Lucrative Holiday market.
2. They're waiting for some good shit to launch alongside it.

o0ICE0o

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
PharaohsVizier said:
Anyone else think of "buttons" after reading natal 2? Chain of thought - natal 2 - natal 1 - no buttons - pew pew pew - 5th grader - playstation move - wii remote - buttons - natal 2

tongue.gif
"...lol wut?"
2211078233_b6a4617a46.jpg

Splych

GBAtemp's Lurker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
PharaohsVizier said:
Anyone else think of "buttons" after reading natal 2? Chain of thought - natal 2 - natal 1 - no buttons - pew pew pew - 5th grader - playstation move - wii remote - buttons - natal 2

tongue.gif
So wait... When Play Station released that Play Station Move video, is this Microsoft's response/reaction to that?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: It's mostly the ones that are just pictures and no instructions at all