NAND

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by DuskGold, Jan 6, 2010.

Jan 6, 2010

NAND by DuskGold at 12:35 PM (922 Views / 0 Likes) 8 replies

1. DuskGold
    OP

Newcomer DuskGold Member

United States
    I made my NAND backup.

I had to install Bootmii as an ios to make it.

How exactly do I use it to fix a brick if it occurs? 4.2 firmware

2. giantpune

Member giantpune GBAtemp Addict

United States
    in order for that nand backup to be able to save you from a brick,

1 - you must have a way to start bootmii IOS. so you need to get preloader/priiloader working.
    2 - you must not have bricked the wii in such a way that preloader will not start (deleted the IOS it uses)
    3 - if you update, or do anything that reinstalls a system menu, preloader is not there anymore
    4 - you need a gamecube controller. bootmii will restore that backup of your nand, but it requires that you press A+B+X+Y all at the same time. the best method is to just smack the controller and hope you pressed all the buttons. if not, just try again.
    5 - since you must have preloader to be able to restore that nand dump, you will be able to use wad manager/ATD also. so you will be able to probably fix the wii without having to resort to the nand dump. just dont delete anything important unless you know exactly what you are doing.

3. Krestent

Member Krestent What to post?

United States
    Never mind

4. DuskGold
    OP

Newcomer DuskGold Member

United States
    Sounds kinda gimped compared to what I heard.

Is this because I had 4.2?

5. gamecat

Newcomer gamecat Advanced Member

United Kingdom
    I'm confused. How come when bootmii is an IOS you need to do the gamecube controller thing?

I thought you could just do it using the buttons on the wii console to navigate and then restore in bootmii.

6. Det1re

Member Det1re det1re.de

Germany
    BootMii/IOS was told to not be able to restore at the current state. Using the A+B+X+Y code just returns to main menu...

7. DuskGold
    OP

Newcomer DuskGold Member

United States
    Can you simplify that?

Does that means since I have 4.2 I can't repair a brick or something?

8. WiiPower

Member WiiPower GBAtemp Guru

Germany
    Doing a nand restore with BootMii IOS is dangerous! If even the slightest problem occurs during that process, you will have a full brick, while before you had still some way to run stuff! With BootMii installed to boot2, read errors and bad sectors and stuff, are fixable problems, as you can restart the restore process anytime you want. If the restore process is stopped somewhere in the middle, half your nand is the old one, half the new(bricked) one. But it's not half the files, it's half the sectors, so you may have 2 system menus, but no system menu IOS on the nand, not speaking of the fact that the FAT is for the old nand then and points to files that just don't exist.

9. DuskGold
    OP

Newcomer DuskGold Member

United States
    Is there any way for me to remove boot mii as the ios and make it my BOOT2 or whatever?

This isn't seeming like worth the trouble now, I kinda wanna trick gamestop into buying my Wii and buying a new legit one....